Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Underrated, overrated Bengals
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Underrated, overrated Bengals Reply with quote

OK its a slow week. 'cbssports.com' is running an 'overrated'/ 'underrated' article for each team.

They list RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis as the most 'overrated' Bengal, Geno Atkins as the most 'underrated'. (Not sure you can call a guy overrated, when he hasn't played a single down yet !).

My pair would be Reggie Nelson as the most 'overrated', and Andrew Whitworth as the most 'underrated'.
zacapr22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I would say A.J. is overrated For now. He's one of the best but not top 5 like everyone is saying.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Dalton is being overrated and I guess Whit is underrated

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:

Definitely agree Whit is underrated

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Underrated, overrated Bengals Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
My pair would be Reggie Nelson as the most 'overrated', and Andrew Whitworth as the most 'underrated'.

Delete Reggie Nelson, insert Brandon Tate
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
johndeere1707 wrote:

Definitely agree Whit is underrated

I disagree about Whit. I love the guy but watching tape (Thank you NFL Game Rewind), he wasn't as great as we Bengal fans think. Way too many penalties. I think people are giving Whit a lot of respect around the league and he's rated about right atm.

Also even though Geno is my favorite player in the NFL, I don't think he's under-rated as well. His sickle cell will keep him from playing more than 500 snaps a season. Aldon Smith who everyone thinks was just a situational pass rusher last season, played more snaps than Geno. He's probably the most efficient D-Linemen in the NFL, but if he can't play more than 500 snaps then I don't think he's under-rated either. There is a reason why the Bengals drafted Still and Thompson...
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Also even though Geno is my favorite player in the NFL, I don't think he's under-rated as well....

Whats your take on a big extension for Geno then V112 ? Do you think they'll roll-out a big 5/6 year deal for him, or let him play out his contract and walk ?

Most Bengal fans; including me; would like to see Geno locked-up long term, but do you think they'll extend him ?
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Also even though Geno is my favorite player in the NFL, I don't think he's under-rated as well....

Whats your take on a big extension for Geno then V112 ? Do you think they'll roll-out a big 5/6 year deal for him, or let him play out his contract and walk ?

Most Bengal fans; including me; would like to see Geno locked-up long term, but do you think they'll extend him ?

I'm hoping Geno gets a 5 year deal. I'm a little worried because we have Dunlap, Geno and Gresham who will probably need extensions next offseason and then Dalton and Green right after that. Thankfully with the new CBA rules, Mike Brown has to spend more.

Geno works his butt of in practice, doesn't drink, doesn't smoke and has zero injury concerns sans the sickle cell. I see no reason why the Bengals wouldn't want to lock him up long term. Just hope we lock him up before the Lions extend Suh and possibly throw off the DT pay scale...
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some choices no one else has made so far:

Underrated: Rey Maualuga (injury really hurt his play)
Overrated: Manny Lawson

Manny was good and solid, but he didn't make many big plays. I gave Rey a lot of crap on these forums, but in fairness he was injured.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:

Manny was good and solid, but he didn't make many big plays. I gave Rey a lot of crap on these forums, but in fairness he was injured.

I definitely agree about the Manny Lawson being overrated. If he's only good enough to garner a one year deal from us considering all the praise he's received, it says a lot about how the league views him. I've seen non-Bengal fans claiming he's a top 5 SLB...

I would say our underrated is an easy choice between Dunlap and Atkins. Probably Atkins more so, just because of how dominate he was last season, but if Dunlap stays healthy he'll be a terror for opposing RTs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:

Yeah, aside from ReyRey, we've got a number of guys playing for potentially big extensions this year, so hopefully the sniff of a few more $$$$ will pep up their play a little this season. But that's for another thread.......

Rey is probably overrated, but I think we all hope and know he is a couple of plays and a few solid games away from becoming a special MLB in this league. Maybe Burfict will push him up a little.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:

I'm a little worried because we have Dunlap, Geno and Gresham who will probably need extensions next offseason and then Dalton and Green right after that.

What are the chances of mid-season extensions being done before season end ?

IIRC Leon Halls' latest extension was done mid-season.
RedGreenShow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underrated:
Andre Smith (a bit)
- In his first 'full' season he played pretty damn well. Silenced a lot of good pass rushers. I expect him to keep getting better.

Pacman Jones (a bit)
- I was really pleased we brought him back. He makes some mistakes, but he's very solid in the slot and on the outside.

Overrated:
Domata Peko
- GREAT leader and hard worker, but isn't the player he once was. He's not a liability, he's just very solid all round. Doesn't really come near the passer. Still love him though!
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:

I'm a little worried because we have Dunlap, Geno and Gresham who will probably need extensions next offseason and then Dalton and Green right after that.

What are the chances of mid-season extensions being done before season end ?

IIRC Leon Halls' latest extension was done mid-season.

Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm thinking we won't see mid-season extensions. The reason I think that is because then it would count against this years cap and not next years. There is a forced minimum next year, so I'm thinking Mike Brown will want these contracts to eat into that. If he spends the money now, he'll have to spend even more next season.

Also I wanted to clarify on my Whit and Geno not being under-rated. I think I'm on this site too much, where people have nothing but positive things to say about Whit and Geno. On this board they are not under-rated but they are under-rated in general.

Also great pick RedGreenShow on Andre Smith being under-rated. People don't know how much he's turned around...
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Also great pick RedGreenShow on Andre Smith being under-rated. People don't know how much he's turned around...

See new thread on Pat Kirwauns thoughts on our tackles........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: