Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Titans sign Safety Michael Griffin to 5-year, $35M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VYoung10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titansfan1 wrote:
all pro FS's don't fall out of the tree. its a good move, even if he's just above average.

Exactly. Safety is quickly becoming the hardest position to field a good player. Griff has shown he has what it takes.

2014 Adopt a Titan: Bernard Pollard #31
Double Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down with this signing. Still love Griff, please go show you're worth it.

Also, dangit, Billy, It's Griffin!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to be honest. I'm not at all upset by this move, but I AM shocked and highly optimistic. I take it that the coaches and FO must see something they like in Griff to lock him down like that, especially after drafting another Safety. I believe Gray is going to play to Griffin's strengths and still believes he can rejoin the NFL's elite. I think he can, and I'm expecting big things from here this year...like a complete 180 from what we've seen the last couple of years. Time will tell.

Congratulations Griff!!! I guess your good attitude and show of professionalism really paid off...LITERALLY!

deeluxx3

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He better play the way he used to and prove that he is worth that kind of cash. That's all I have to say about this

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
ironlion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positives
-Elite career production at safety(inflated due to insanely productive season with 7 INTS)
-Played at many time as an elite safety
-posseses elite athletic ability for a safety
-always around the ball in the passing game
-fairly succesful as a 1st round draft pick of the titans
-an above average to elite safety locked up for 5 years
-salary later in contract will be relatively low compared to future contracts given out to top level safeties
-has 44 career PDs and 17 career INTs. Hes making on average 12.2 plays on the ball per year.
-averages 77.8 tackles per season
-no career lower body injuries
-extremely aggressive
-passing league
-it is hard to find even average Safties in the NFL
-has dreadlocks

Negatives
-has been burned deep on several occasions over the years(4 last year i read somewhere)
-hasnt built on his all-pro year of 2008
-has trouble deciding wether to attack the ball or man and can miss both
-got trucked by michael turner
-extremely aggressive
-doesnt make every single tackle
-$7 mill is pretty high for S in 2012

I guess the FO looked at everything and decided that they were going to pay for possiblity of the elite Griff emerging. I have been a griff supporter through times both good and bad. It seems i have gotten my wish to retain a draft pick that we hit on.

Ive always believed that an overly aggressive and athletic FS like griff can be a beast with a solid pass rush. If there is no pass rush the aggresiveness gets exposed easily. Lets hope our rush can get better to take some pressure and valuble mili-seconds away from the secondary.

Next up for extensions-Britt, McCourty, and Cook.
TT4Life7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 mil a year tho? I'm all for when it comes to his attitude and leadership, but has his play on the field warranted a 35 million dollar contract?

I like the guy off the field, but he still scares me with his inconsistancy. Time will tell if he can pull it together, and for the FO's sake I hope he does so.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does signing him to this extension give us anymore cap room or is it less than the franchise tender? And i hope we will eventually get McCourty, Britt, and Cook extensions

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJD & Arian Foster will sleep much easier knowing Griff is waiting for them in the secondary twice a season when they break the LOS. Dancing

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamont wrote:
MJD & Arian Foster will sleep much easier knowing Griff is waiting for them in the secondary twice a season when they break the LOS. Dancing

Too bad our secondary won't have to worry as much this year with the improved D-Line and McCarthy starting from day 1. Mike Martin, an improved Casey, a healthy Morgan, and a in shape Shaun Smith, our D-Line should be much improved in run defense.
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin*

Not a fan of this long of an extension. The organization must really see some kind of massive improvement in training camp. He's yet to sell me that he'll ever be the same player he was in 2008.

Ockham wrote:
Yeah. We wouldn't want a power run blocker. We prefer the ole' let CJ get hit in the backfeild type run blocker. My bad.
TitanTuff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Griffin*

Not a fan of this long of an extension. The organization must really see some kind of massive improvement in training camp. He's yet to sell me that he'll ever be the same player he was in 2008.

I am thinking the same thing. 7 mil a year is a tad on the high end. But until this new FO just totally busts out, I have faith in them. You never know, he might be in the zone and they see it. I hope he thrives within a non-Fisher system.
Mac 9 for LiFE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2014 Salary Cap Expansion? I'm very happy with this signing.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda stunned... I still feel like this dude should have been forsaken this offseason. Here's to hoping Jerry Gray's scheme pays dividends for Griff year two. I trust Gray and as 4x pro bowl safety himself, he should know how to get Griff back to that level.

I swear though, between VY, Bo Scaife and Griff. Bud has spent a very large amount of money awarding underachieving ex-Longhorns

**RIP Steve McNair**
s_camp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
Kinda stunned... I still feel like this dude should have been forsaken this offseason. Here's to hoping Jerry Gray's scheme pays dividends for Griff year two. I trust Gray and as 4x pro bowl safety himself, he should know how to get Griff back to that level.

I swear though, between VY, Bo Scaife and Griff. Bud has spent a very large amount of money awarding underachieving ex-Longhorns

One silver lining here is that Griffin is now playing under a real DC and will have at least a couple years in a real defensive system. With the improvements on the DL the team will have a better pass D all around, and the entire secondary will benefit greatly.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:

One silver lining here is that Griffin is now playing under a real DC and will have at least a couple years in a real defensive system. With the improvements on the DL the team will have a better pass D all around, and the entire secondary will benefit greatly.

AMEN to that!!! That base 4-3, Cover-2 crap we were running wasn't helping anybody especially our safeties. We didn't have the horses, a clueless DC and a hands off HC at the helm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: