Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Aqib Talibís agent says criminal case has been dismissed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoeKG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil' Shorty wrote:
dbtb135 wrote:
Lil' Shorty wrote:
Why? What did he do? Nothing. He has a history but according to what happened today, he did nothing during the lockout. Honestly, you could say his name was just run through the mud because he was around an incident that he did not participate in. Plus, didnt players who actually did stuff during the lockout not get any penalty? Now I know Goodell probably wont see it that way but really, thats exactly how Talib's whole thing could be described.

You know that not pursuing charges anymore doesn't mean Talib didn't do anything wrong, right?

Oh it doesnt...

Innocent until proven guilty. Based on that premise Talib did nothing wrong and if Goodell suspends him, its based off of something that he was not proven to do or be a part of, well, thats stupid. Just because he has a history, it doesnt mean Goodell should just suspend Talib based off what he thinks may have happened if it wasnt proven. Evidence, and based on the case being dropped there is none.

While his actions might be ethically debatable, Goodell will likely suspend Talib if for nothing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Which he was.

Goodell suspended Roethlisberger for 6 games (later reduced to 4) when there was no criminal charges even against him for either accusation. But he still got suspended basically for getting a reputation which he may or may not have deserved. [Please don't make the thread about this, do your own research or send PMs or something]

Knowing that, I fully expect Talib to be suspended. The only way he isn't is if the NFLPA fights for him because of a lack of CBA and wins, IMO.
RB4TampaBay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil' Shorty wrote:
dbtb135 wrote:
Lil' Shorty wrote:
Why? What did he do? Nothing. He has a history but according to what happened today, he did nothing during the lockout. Honestly, you could say his name was just run through the mud because he was around an incident that he did not participate in. Plus, didnt players who actually did stuff during the lockout not get any penalty? Now I know Goodell probably wont see it that way but really, thats exactly how Talib's whole thing could be described.

You know that not pursuing charges anymore doesn't mean Talib didn't do anything wrong, right?

Oh it doesnt...

Innocent until proven guilty. Based on that premise Talib did nothing wrong and if Goodell suspends him, its based off of something that he was not proven to do or be a part of, well, thats stupid. Just because he has a history, it doesnt mean Goodell should just suspend Talib based off what he thinks may have happened if it wasnt proven. Evidence, and based on the case being dropped there is none.

Nope, not true. There are several players and coach's from the Saints that have been suspended, have you heard of any of them going to trial and being found guilty by a jury?

There was big Ben, he was suspended 6 games, later reduced to 4 games, and he was never arrested, charged with a crime nor had a court date set.

There are certain levels of behavior that all NFL players must live up to, that is in their contract's that they sign and agree to. If they violate the law, the NFL rules or the team rules they can be punished for those acts.

If Goodell looked the other way and did not take action, then he would be subject to dismissal for not doing his job. He has no choice, if rules are violated then punishment must follow.

So, since Talib admitted to the press that he just went there to pistol whip the guy, gave a loaded handgun to his mother, a convicted felon, and fired a gun up in the air in a crowded subdivision, that is OK? NO, all three of those offenses are felonies, and he admitted to doing those things to the press. If Goodell does not suspend Talib for those acts, things that tarnish the reputation of the Bucs and the NFL, then he should be fired for not doing his job.

I would guess that you will be completely shocked when Talib is given some time off for his behavior, just as the Steeler's fans were when Ben had to sit out for four games.
Diesel00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB4TampaBay wrote:
Lil' Shorty wrote:
dbtb135 wrote:
Lil' Shorty wrote:

Oh it doesnt...

Nope, not true. There are several players and coach's from the Saints that have been suspended, have you heard of any of them going to trial and being found guilty by a jury?

There was big Ben, he was suspended 6 games, later reduced to 4 games, and he was never arrested, charged with a crime nor had a court date set.

There are certain levels of behavior that all NFL players must live up to, that is in their contract's that they sign and agree to. If they violate the law, the NFL rules or the team rules they can be punished for those acts.

If Goodell looked the other way and did not take action, then he would be subject to dismissal for not doing his job. He has no choice, if rules are violated then punishment must follow.

So, since Talib admitted to the press that he just went there to pistol whip the guy, gave a loaded handgun to his mother, a convicted felon, and fired a gun up in the air in a crowded subdivision, that is OK? NO, all three of those offenses are felonies, and he admitted to doing those things to the press. If Goodell does not suspend Talib for those acts, things that tarnish the reputation of the Bucs and the NFL, then he should be fired for not doing his job.

I would guess that you will be completely shocked when Talib is given some time off for his behavior, just as the Steeler's fans were when Ben had to sit out for four games.

Please don't think I am condoning what Talib did by any means, I not a big fan of him anyway and wish they would have cut him. When this all happen technically he wasn't working or playing for the NFL because of the lockout. Not sure this has any relevance to the decision Goodell can make or not being he was not working at that time. If Talib did admit what he did to the press then he should be brough up on charges by saying that and it being video taped. That to me would be enough to bring him to trial. Just my humble opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB4TampaBay wrote:
Lil' Shorty wrote:
dbtb135 wrote:
Lil' Shorty wrote:

Oh it doesnt...

Lil' Shorty wrote:
Now I know Goodell probably wont see it that way but really, thats exactly how Talib's whole thing could be described.

Nope, believe it or not I will not be shocked. Just making a case for why I dont think Talib should be suspended. That was a quote from a post I had on the 1st page.

The difference about Talib in my opinion is this. The NFL has some, who knows how much, evidence against the Saints and their players. They also had some kind of evidence against Ben. Talib admitted to poor judgement by saying he went there and pistol whipped Billings. However, Talib was not suspended when this came out. If the courts ruling didnt matter, wouldnt you think Talib, along with Kenny Britt and other NFL players that did stuff during the lockout, would have been suspended by now? No one was suspended so why should Talib be suspended a year after the incident when he has done nothing since the cab driver incident a few years ago.

Smack ^
#FireLovie
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4640/aqib-talib

Quote:
The league office is not closing the door on discipline for Bucs LCB Aqib Talib after his felony assault with a deadly weapon charges were dismissed in court.Commissioner Roger Goodell has already requested a copy of the dismissal order. He and the rest of the league office will review the case and make a decision on discipline down the road. Talib's attorney expects no action from the NFL, which is exactly what we would expect a player's advocate to posit.

I can see both sides for why Talib should/shouldn't get some type of "punishment". Knowing Goodell's track record... we will be without him for a few games.

Mike Evans 49 - 841 - 8
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't comparable to the Saints' suspensions. Their actions took place during league years, not the lockout.

I can see the argument for both sides with Talib's possible suspension. I'd like to think that the NFLPA would defend Talib since he wasn't employed by the NFL at the time of the incident. At the same time, this isn't Talib's first problem with altercations off the field. Time will tell.

Adopt-a-Buc Lavonte David 10 Games | 115 Tackles (14 for loss) | 2 PDs | 2 FFs | 1 FR
thejedi41

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 games I'll bet.
Diesel00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Commissioner will do something along the lines of Big Ben. Give him 6 and if you go to some type of class it will get reduce to 4 games.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
This isn't comparable to the Saints' suspensions. Their actions took place during league years, not the lockout.

I can see the argument for both sides with Talib's possible suspension. I'd like to think that the NFLPA would defend Talib since he wasn't employed by the NFL at the time of the incident. At the same time, this isn't Talib's first problem with altercations off the field. Time will tell.

I don't get why everyone thinks that they can compare Talib's actions that happened during a locked out period version Big Ben or whom ever else that got suspended during a regular year. They were not even employee's at the time of this is my understanding. However that has not stopped the Commish before either with the Pryor incident.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talibs dismissal from these charges does not prove he's innocent. He's just lucky the guy pressing charges is dumber than he is.
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/6/21/3105396/derrick-brooks-aqib-talib-is-a-changed-man

Derrick Brooks on Talib:
Quote:
I've been staying in communication with him and I've seen that he's become a changed man at this point. And I hope, as I told him yesterday: "I hope that this continues to put you on the same road you're on of redemption. Be the guy that you've been transitioning to be the last eight months, make sure that that's guy moving forward." I honestly believe that he's a changed man at this point.

Hopefully Brooks is right!

Mike Evans 49 - 841 - 8
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:
http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/6/21/3105396/derrick-brooks-aqib-talib-is-a-changed-man

Derrick Brooks on Talib:
Quote:
I've been staying in communication with him and I've seen that he's become a changed man at this point. And I hope, as I told him yesterday: "I hope that this continues to put you on the same road you're on of redemption. Be the guy that you've been transitioning to be the last eight months, make sure that that's guy moving forward." I honestly believe that he's a changed man at this point.

Hopefully Brooks is right!

Brooks is one of, if not, the greatest man off the field to play in Tampa. I love that he's been with Talib these last eight months. Hopefully Talib gets his head on straight.

Adopt-a-Buc Lavonte David 10 Games | 115 Tackles (14 for loss) | 2 PDs | 2 FFs | 1 FR
bucstopshere

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been saying that he's different since last year. If he is serious about football, he should have a huge year. 6'2 CB's that jump out the gym, can catch and run 4.4's dont grow on tree's

Im going to say Pro Bowl year, with 7 INTS at a minimum this year....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't see how he could be suspended.

A. Like everyone has said, the supposed actions occurred during a lockout period, so he was not technically bound by the NFL personal conduct policy.

B. He was not convicted in a court of law.

If he does get suspended I think it will back up what guys like James Harrison have been saying for a while, that Goodell is a one man army, turning the NFL into a dictatorship. Bucs fan or not, the situation is what it is.
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucstopshere wrote:
Ive been saying that he's different since last year. If he is serious about football, he should have a huge year. 6'2 CB's that jump out the gym, can catch and run 4.4's dont grow on tree's

Im going to say Pro Bowl year, with 7 INTS at a minimum this year....

He was top 10 in CB efficiency last year. He's gonna explode this year. I agree.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: