Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colt Mccoy for a 6th or 7th round pick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Dallas trade a late round pick for Colt Mccoy?
Yes
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
No
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superfly3176 wrote:
Absolutely not. Take off the he played for Texas homer goggles please. He just isn't NFL caliber good.

I'm a Michigan fan. I couldn't care less about UT.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was some other team I would do it in a heartbeat, but since It's the Dallas Cowboys I wouldn't because for some reason we always just keep nailing 7th round picks every year.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
GeorgiaBoy367

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure McCoy is cheap but so are the old bakery items that they mark down to $.99. Sure the price is right but what good are they really?? i still have mixed feelings on him from his weird nerve injury in the NCG. Funniest part about that scenarios was his quote

Quote:

I had 'em. I knew everything they were doing before they did it. I was fixin' to complete every pass I was going to throw tonight.

HAHAHAHAHA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pass on McCoy, as I feel more comfortable with Orton.

^^^mack
superfly3176

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
superfly3176 wrote:
Absolutely not. Take off the he played for Texas homer goggles please. He just isn't NFL caliber good.

You know it would only cost like a 7th rounder for him, right?

And what's the point of just throwing away a 7th rounder? Everyone has seen what McCoy could do. You have the potential to get a Jay Ratliff with a 7th. Do you every year of course not. But McCoy's ceiling isn't high enough just to throw away a pick on him.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
superfly3176 wrote:

So potentially a Jay Ratliff, Sean Lissemore, Bill Nagy, or Patrick Crayton type?

No thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
superfly3176 wrote:

So potentially a Jay Ratliff, Sean Lissemore, Bill Nagy, or Patrick Crayton type?

No thank you.

And once again we are the only team in the league who takes a 7th rounder seriously. Because we nail em the most consistently.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
Hiero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waste of time plain and simple

Props to IDOG_det on the sig.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
superfly3176 wrote:

No thank you.

Well I am not saying I would want him on this particular team, because we have a backup. However, I am saying that if we didn't have a legitimate backup yet, I would for sure take that deal.

And more often than not, 7th rounders don't make the team. Every now and then you get lucky, but how often do you really land a Ratliff kind of player?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superfly3176 wrote:

I wonder how many of you were saying the same things about Romo, when he was signed as an undrafted free agent? Colt plays for the Browns. Do I need to say it again? I don't know if he could be an effective starter, but that's the point to me. He's in a situation where the lack of talent around him makes it hard to give a fair evaluation of him. Now that they drafted a first round 28 year old qb, no matter what they say publicly, Weeden is gonna start. Can't develop him as a backup to retire. Seneca Wallace is a good enough backup, so they will want to get rid of Colt. If we give a 6th or a 7th, and he turns out to be no better than Mcgee, big deal. We lost a a backup long snapper. If he shows anything at all, we either have options in two years for a backup or a player that we can trade and hopefully get a higher pick than we spent.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superfly3176 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
superfly3176 wrote:

And what's the point of just throwing away a 7th rounder? Everyone has seen what McCoy could do. You have the potential to get a Jay Ratliff with a 7th. Do you every year of course not. But McCoy's ceiling isn't high enough just to throw away a pick on him.

In case you didn't know, Romo would suck in Cleveland. Doesn't mean I think Colt is Romo, but I think he has enough talent that it's worth taking a chance on him for a 6th or 7th. If Bellichick followed your logic, he would never trade any pick other than a 7th, because it might be a Tom Brady.
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He isn't an elite NFL QB, but push comes to shove I'd rather have him start over McGee if we run into the issue we did after Aikman left of not being able to find a QB for years.

74.5 QBR 4,300 yards 20 TDs 20 INTs in just over 16 games. On a bad Browns team. I am not a longhorn fans, but I truly think this guy has a place on this team as a future career back-up who gives you a good shot to win when in. Not like Orton is going to man the back-up spot for half a decade or anything, he isn't a young pup himself.

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to some people valuing McCoy simply because he was a Longhorn, nothing could be further from the truth with me. Being from Arkansas, I am more likely to hate Longhorns and Aggies.

In regards to bringing in McCoy, some of you don't seem to be getting it. Those of us in favor of bringing in McCoy aren't looking to replace Orton. We are looking at McCoy as an upgrade over McGee. In an ideal world, our 3rd stringer would never see the field. But, injuries happen. I honestly feel that McCoy is an upgrade over McGee. At the very least, it would be nice to have a QB who is not afraid to go downfield on a pass. When not holding the ball way too long, McGee is Captain Checkdown.

To those who are complaining about giving up a 7th rounder to possibly get McCoy, you guys need to take off the hoimer glasses. Sure, the Cowboys have hit on a few 7th round picks, but they have missed ona bunch too. It's not like every 7th rounder turns into something special. Heck, most of them don't even make the team. For every Sean Lissemore or Jay Ratliff, we have a Mike Mickens or Manuel Johnson. In fact, there are more misses than there are hits. Since no one knows how this year's 7th rounders will work out, let's just focus on 2011 through 2000.

2011 - FB Shaun Chapas, OG/C Billy Nagy
2010 - DE Sean Lissemore, NT Josh Brent
2009 - CB Mike Mickens, WR Mauel Johnson
2008 - N/A
2007 - CB Courtney Brown, CB/S Alan Ball
2006 - OT Pat McQuistan, C E.J. Whitley
2005 - NT Jay Ratliff
2004 - CB Nate Jones, WR Patrick Crayton, CB Jacques Reeves
2003 - C Justin Bates
2002 - N/A
2001 - DE Colston Weatherington, DT John Nix, OT Char-ron Dorsey
2000 - LB Orantes Grant

That is 19 players. In my opinion, there was 1 star (Ratliff), 5 solid but not spectacular players (Nagy, Lissemore, Brent, Crayton, McQuistan) and 13 scrubs. We hit on 6 out of 19, which is 31.5% of the players. I would venture a guess that every team hits on about that same percentage of 7th rounders. In fact, let's look at 4 other teams, that I picked at random, and compare how we did comapred to them.

First, the New England Patriots...

2011 - DB Malcolm Williams
2010 - OT Thomas Welch, DE Brandon Deaderick, DT Kade Weston, QB Zac Robinson
2009 - WR Julian Edelman, DT Darryl Richard
2008 - N/A
2007 - LB Oscar Lua, OG Mike Elgin
2006 - CB Willie Andrews
2005 - QB Matt Cassel, TE Andy Stokes
2004 - CB Christian Morton
2003 - TE Spencer Nead, LB Tully Banta-Cain, NT Ethan Kelley
2002 - RB Antoine Womack, WR David Givens
2001 - K Owen Pochman, LB T.J. Turner
2000 - LB Casey Tisdale, RB Patrick Pass

That is 22 players, of which I count 8 solid/acceptable players (Welch, Deaderick, Edelman, Andrews, Cassel, Banta-Cain, Kelley, Givens). That is a 36.3% success rate.

The 2nd team I want to comapre our success to, is the N.Y. Giants...

2011 - RB Da'Rel Scott
2010 - P Matt Dodge
2009 - CB Stoney Woodson
2008 - N/A
2007 - S Michael Johnson, RB Ahmad Bradshaw
2006 - DB Gerrick McPhearson
2005 - N/A
2004 - OT Drew Stojny, DL Isaac Hilton
2003 - G Wayne Lucier, WR Kevin Walter
2002 - WR Daryl Jones, LB Quincy Monk
2001 - DT Ross Kolodziej
2000 - DE Jeremiah Parker

Of those 14 players, there is 1 star (Bradshaw) and 3 solid/acceptable players (Dodge, Johnson, Walter). That is a 28.5% success rate.

The 3rd team I want to compare us to is the Atlanta Falcons...

2011 - OG Andrew Jackson, DE Cliff Matthews
2010 - N/A
2009 - DT Vance Walker
2008 - CB Wilrey Fontenot, TE Keith Zinger
2007 - RB/FB Jason Snelling
2006 - QB D.J. Shockley
2005 - DT Darrell Shropshire
2004 - RB Quincy Wilson
2003 - DE Demetrin Veal
2002 - DE Michael Coleman, OT Kevin Shaffer
2001 - DB Corey Hall, OG Kynan Forney, DE Ronald Flemons, WR Quentin McCord
2000 - CB Darrick Vaughn

Of those 15 players, 2 were above average starters (Shaffer, Forney) and 2 were solid backups (Walker, Snelling). That is a 26.6% success rate.

The last team I feel like looking this crap up for is the New Orleans Saints...

2011 - DE Greg Romeus, LB Nate Bussey
2010 - QB Sean Canfield
2009 - N/A
2008 - WR Adrian Arrington
2007 - LB Marvin Mitchell
2006 - OT Zach Strief, WR Marques Colston
2005 - DE Jimmy Verdon
2004 - LB Colby Bockwoldt
2003 - WR Talman Gardner
2002 - DE Derrius Monroe
2001 - DT Ennis Davis
2000 - FB Kevin Houser

Of those 13 players, there is 1 star (Colston) and 4 solid players (Mitchell, Strief, Arrington, Bockwoldt). That is a 38.4% success rate.

Those 4 teams have a combined success rate of 32.45% at identifying talented players in the 7th round while ours is at 31.5%. Still, many Cowboy fans will continue to say that we are great at hitting on 7th rounders. The numbers would suggest we are merely average.

Does any of this do anything to change public opinion about whether or not we should go after McCoy? Nope, but at least I killed an hour at work while looking it all up. Laughing

“Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.”
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while we are on the subject, Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com thinks we should go for it.

Quote:
If the reports are right about Cleveland putting Colt McCoy on the clearance rack, the Cowboys ought to offer the Browns a late-round pick.

This isn’t about creating competition for franchise quarterback Tony Romo or even backup Kyle Orton, for that matter. It’s about acquiring an intriguing developmental project for a low price.

The ex-Longhorn would be an upgrade over the Aggie.

“Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.”
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pass. as others have said, we are pretty good at getting a talented player in the 7th round. and the chances are that he would have a bigger impact on the team then McCoy..

also, I only think that it would add pressure on Romo and the media likely would start to wonder if two big moves on QB in one off season, is a sign that Jerry don't trust Romo. we don't need any distractions for Romo like that..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: