Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brandon Spikes subpackage role?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treat88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Brandon Spikes subpackage role? Reply with quote

So, is Spikes a true 3 down backer or do you foresee him leaving the field in obvious passing situations?

Any long range concerns about his knee troubles?

Thanks for the insights!

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My expectation is that we'll see mostly Hightower and Mayo in subpackages together.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Brandon Spikes subpackage role? Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
So, is Spikes a true 3 down backer or do you foresee him leaving the field in obvious passing situations?

Any long range concerns about his knee troubles?

Thanks for the insights!

I have mild concerns about both his and Mayo's knee issues

I can't see him on the field in passing situations now that Hightower is around. Other than blitzing up the middle, he's not particularly useful in sub packages though he was used a fair bit last year. It's possible if/when the Pats run a 2-4-5 or 3-3-5 he could see some sub package duty. I would think that Ninkovich, Mayo and Hightower are all above him on the "sub package" depth chart and possibly a guy like Bobby Carpenter or Dane Fletcher as well

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Spikes is a starting caliber LB right now with some room for improvement, but could very well plateau here. However, we are talking about a BB defense that will and has always been situational. Spikes will be used in a way to maximize his talents, he will have his job.

That being said, so will Hightower, Mayo, Nink, Fletcher, and Carpenter. So do I expect him to be on the field every down? No, but I honestly wouldnt expect that of any player on defense short of some DB's and Mayo.

If I were to guess starters, I would say Hightower, Mayo, Spikes and in a 3-4 base, Nink, would be them.

But if last year was any indication, they seem to trust Spikes in there for a large chunk of snaps as the season wore on:

Week 2
19 of 72

Week 3
48 of 66

Week 4
46 of 70

Week 5
52 of 54

Week 6
67 of 74

Week 7
74 of 80

Week 8
39 of 72 - Suffered MCL during game

Week 17
LB Brandon Spikes 18 of 71 - First game back from injury, meaningless game, came in in the 4th qtr to shake off rust, came in for sub packages.

Playoffs - Div
59 of 71

Playoffs - AFC Champ
52 of 73

SB
66 of 76

So if you take out the game he was forced to leave and the game he didnt play much in to end the season due to his return from injury and the meaningless nature of the game, he played 483 snaps out of 636 which is
75.9% of his snaps and a whopping 86.8% in the biggest stage of all. I would say that BB trusts him to be out there in many situations and wants him out there. We all know how well Dane played in Spikes absence, but BB went with Spikes in the playoffs despite his layoff. Fletcher played 14, 10, and 1 snaps in the Div, Champ, and SB. I think Spikes has earned his spot and IMO is underrated for his ability to be on the field in more than just blitzing and run stuffing situations. Mike Riess wrote in one of his blogs about it as well:

Mike Riess wrote:
LB Brandon Spikes was part of the base and nickel packages, coming off in the dime. This shows how Spikes is viewed as more than just a two-down linebacker by the coaching staff.

EDIT: Here are the numbers, its always interesting to look at snap counts. Spikes final % seems to include snaps from games he missed due to injury. Even when you factor in the two games I omitted due to circumstance, he played 69% of the snaps.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/category/_/name/defensive-snaps-2/count/1[/quote]

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: