Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

breaking down the dead cap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: breaking down the dead cap Reply with quote

Indy Star's Mike Chappelle broke down the Colts dead cap in a blog written this evening..

http://blogs.indystar.com/coltsinsider/2012/06/11/colts-are-dealing-with-some-historic-dead-money-in-2012/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Quote:
The Colts’ gi-normous stash of dead money is shared by several former players, most notably:

– Peyton Manning, $10.4 million

– Gary Brackett, $7.2 million

– Dallas Clark, $6.95 million

– Kelvin Hayden (yes, from 2010), $5.4 million

– Joe Addai, $3.72 million

– Melvin Bullitt, $2.67 million

There also was an $80,400 hit for waiving tight end Brody Eldridge and a $23,321 fee for dumping quarterback Curtis Painter.

Remember Kerry Collins, who signed in August and started three games? The Colts paid him $4 million last year in real money – a $2.5 million signing bonus and a base of $1.5 million – and he’ll still count $1.25 million against this year’s cap to complete their book-keeping obligations.

Two other interesting points he makes are...
-The Colts actual cap number this year is $124.7 million (league wide cap = $120.6 + $2.5 mill carry over from last year and $1.6 assessed from penalty to Redskins and Cowboys)
- ESPN's John Clayton projects when all that dead cap comes off the books in 2013 the Colts will have $43 million in cap space.
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
green24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: breaking down the dead cap Reply with quote

stallyns wrote:
- ESPN's John Clayton projects when all that dead cap comes off the books in 2013 the Colts will have $43 million in cap space.

Wanna share some? We did give you Drew Stanton. Wink
tom cody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

43 million in cap space? Hopefully we use some of that to plug some holes in the roster and make us even more competitive in the near future.
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:
43 million in cap space? Hopefully we use some of that to plug some holes in the roster and make us even more competitive in the near future.

Keep in mind that Freeney, Powers, Collie, Moala, A. Johnson, McAfee, and Justin Snow are all free agents after the season.
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stallyns wrote:
tom cody wrote:

Keep in mind that Freeney, Powers, Collie, Moala, A. Johnson, McAfee, and Justin Snow are all free agents after the season.

Unless he is able to play in the 3-4 effectively, I think Freeney will be gone plus I don't think it would be wise to sign him to a long term contract. Pass rushers, especially in the 3-4 are worth a lot and I'd rather pursue a younger guy or try to develop our own. If Freeney wants to stay, by all means or if he agrees to a trade. Powers, Collie, Moala, Johnson, and McAfee should all be relatively cheap to retain as none are really star players, merely slightly above average. Snow is not a big part of the team IMO. We'd still have enough cap space to pursue difference makers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant remember the last time I was this excited about Free Agency. Its nice to have a GM who is willing to do some shopping on the free agent market.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: