Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Schaub is ready
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
amazingandre


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 14157
Location: Elkhorn, WI
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
well clearly im wrong, my opinion is bullshet and I should stop posting in this thread, good day gentlemen


If you can back it up with facts and prove us wrong, go ahead. I'm always willing to listen to a good argument.


If I could find FACTS to back my stance than I wouldn't be wrong....


Exactly. Why would you have a stance without any facts to back it up?



clearly I don't, this is why Im done discussing it. So how about this weather, crazy huh?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5594
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Interesting read on deep throws by QB's from PFF

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/29/three-years-of-deep-passing/


There is some good stuff in here, although I wish they would add a "per game" portion of their analysis so the gross yards aren't skewed by those who players 16 games vs. those who missed games. Regardless, pretty amazing that Matty still charts in the top 10 (7th) despite missing 6.5 games and was still ahead of guys like Brady, Romo, Ryan, etc. I'm telling you, I was right there with AX2 on Matt's deep arm in 2010, but clearly he either figured something out or got healthy last year as his long game was sharp even without a true deep threat receiver. One of my primary beefs with Schaub before last year was that even when we fooled people w/play action or if AJ beat coverage straight up Matt would rarely hit them in stride and the plays would result in long gains, but not touchdowns and there was nothing more deflating than those instances where we would get a quick strike inside the 10 then have to settle for a field goal. This is supported by Matt only being tied for 10th in the deep TD list with a marginal guy like Sanchez, but my impression was that last year was much improved. Again, all of this led to the change in my stance that the need for a "fantasy football" oriented deep threat opposite Andre would generally be wasted on us, to it being an important component this year, especially as I begin to question AJs continued ability to hold up as our sole threat deep.

AX2 - just so you don't go moping off, I totally support your right to have a differing opinion on Texan players as goodness knows I've swam against the stream on plenty of players around here that the masses loved (Mario, Okoye, Zac, Pollard, Jacoby, McCain and plenty more going back to 07). One thing I would challenge you to do would be to remain open to changing a stance from time to time when faced with sufficient data and weighting current info more than stereotypes from the past. Matt certainly still has things to prove here and I think the Texans would be crazy to resign him long-term until he takes the field and proves the lisfranc will not have any lasting effects.
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5594
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To expound a bit on my thoughts above in a different direction...

While I don't think "durability issues" is a label correctly applied to Matt since all of his injuries have been on-field injuries from impact that were all pretty "fluky" or resulted from cheap shots, I do think that he's in a bit of a "no excuses" phase this year where he needs to do his best to avoid situations where he may be even slightly vulnerable to being exposed to a fluky injury even if it means throwing away a few more balls than usual to avoid taking a hit. I also think that the o-line and anyone else tasked with protecting him needs to understand that their jobs are at stake if Matt takes an unnecessary hit due to their failures. I think Winston's tendency for the occasional jailbreak in protection was at least a small factor in him getting cut loose.

I would specifically address the need for this team to aggressively stand up for Matt against any and all cheap shot artists to the point where we are willing to accept and fines and/or suspensions for retaliations. Immediately after any incident, o-lineman need to be willing to throw down with anyone delivering a low or late hit on Matt with full management support of it possibly negating a personal foul with an offsetting one. An ugly fracas would be completely justifiable to me given the league's selective "halos" around Brady, Mannning and others while multiple cheap shots on our franchise QB have led only to some fines from the league office most aggregious of which was Jared Allen who would have been villified nationwide and surely suspended had he endeavored to go at Brady's knees on 3 separate plays like he did at Matt in 08.

Furthermore, with our defense already taking on an intimidating presence any defender who chooses to attempt a borderline "kill shot" on Schaub ought to understand that he puts every skill position player on his offense in direct peril in addition to himself. Much like the "mutual assured destruction" that happens in baseball where a team's star gets mad at his own pitcher if he throws at someone else because he knows he's getting one in the earhole next time up, we need to send the message early that guys like JJ, Antonio, Mercilus, and others will relentlessly abuse the offending team and gladly carry the label of "dirty" when acting in defense of their QB. I think this is particularly important against the Titans and Jags, who have histories of using thuggery to try to bridge the talent gap between our teams the past several years and as far as I'm concerned Luck needs to be shown that he did not inherit the Manning halo and that he will feel pain from any late hits that Freeney/Mathis may deliver.

I wouldn't always advocate this kind of hockey mentality, but I think we need to send a very overt message early this season that this is not the kinder gentler Texans of the past that will take the high road in conflicts. It is my hope that Kubiak even gets a bit fired up himself and asserts what should be a bit of a position of power that he has as now an elder statesman in terms of longevity as well as Rick Smith's position on the powerful competition committee.
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jargin


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 7038
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video is every play from the opening drive against the Steelers-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfV89qky_QU

I think it demonstrates Schaub's ability to make a big throw when we need him to on a 3rd and long, his field vision to make check downs and most importantly to keep the run game on schedule by choosing to run the correct direction. To me, its a perfect illustration of how Schaub runs the offense.
_________________



[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amazingandre


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 14157
Location: Elkhorn, WI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
This video is every play from the opening drive against the Steelers-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfV89qky_QU

I think it demonstrates Schaub's ability to make a big throw when we need him to on a 3rd and long, his field vision to make check downs and most importantly to keep the run game on schedule by choosing to run the correct direction. To me, its a perfect illustration of how Schaub runs the offense.



Seriously???

The first pass to OD he starred him down, then he over throws AJ (granted he was under pressure), then stares down OD AGAIN and it gets broken up, have some great runs which has NOTHING to do with Schaub, then has 3rd and long and once again stares down his TE and barely squeaks it in.

THE best thing Matt did was decide to pull it down and run for a couple yards to get the first down. That entire drive was DOMINATED by our running backs and oline, not Matt in any way. The TD was ridiculously easy because of OUR RUN GAME, OD was wide open.....

This was a terrible illustration of Matts ability. This showed how valuable OD was.....
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jargin


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 7038
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schaub is the QB on that drive. Thats all that matters. The team runs differently with him at QB because of his intelligence and understanding of the offense.
_________________



[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lumberjackchris


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4779
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
Schaub is the QB on that drive. Thats all that matters. The team runs differently with him at QB because of his intelligence and understanding of the offense.


You can't expect Yates to have the understanding of the offense that Schaub has considering Schaubs been in the offense for 6 years and Yates has only had a lockout shortened season. Ya Schaubs better now but down the road I could see Yates being even better than Schaub.
_________________

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amazingandre


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 14157
Location: Elkhorn, WI
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
Schaub is the QB on that drive. Thats all that matters. The team runs differently with him at QB because of his intelligence and understanding of the offense.


LOL I respect the opinions on Matt, but do not agree with them, and arguments like this will never make me be a homer for him. I used logic and reasoning to show you how he did nothing top 10 qb worthy in that video YOU POSTED, and all you say is, he was the qb on the drive so he is the best qb for the job? wtf is that????

You can like him and say he is awesome, just don't use videos that show nothing amazing from him, post another video if youd like to get your point across, but that one is terrible
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jargin


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 7038
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
jargin wrote:
This video is every play from the opening drive against the Steelers-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfV89qky_QU

I think it demonstrates Schaub's ability to make a big throw when we need him to on a 3rd and long, his field vision to make check downs and most importantly to keep the run game on schedule by choosing to run the correct direction. To me, its a perfect illustration of how Schaub runs the offense.



Seriously???

The first pass to OD he starred him down, then he over throws AJ (granted he was under pressure), then stares down OD AGAIN and it gets broken up, have some great runs which has NOTHING to do with Schaub, then has 3rd and long and once again stares down his TE and barely squeaks it in.

THE best thing Matt did was decide to pull it down and run for a couple yards to get the first down. That entire drive was DOMINATED by our running backs and oline, not Matt in any way. The TD was ridiculously easy because of OUR RUN GAME, OD was wide open.....

This was a terrible illustration of Matts ability. This showed how valuable OD was.....
This is not logic and reasoning. This is just your opinion regarding the content of the video.

Look I don't care what you think about Matt Schaub. I posted the video and I gave my opinion. Just leave it at that.
_________________



[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jargin


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 7038
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of the video, the run game is run through Schaub. If you don't know that then you don't know anything about the ZBS. Schaub decides which direction the play is going to go before the snap. If he reads that the defense is overloading the strong side of the formation then he flips the run to the weak side, which is why you see so many weak side runs in our offense. The blocking scheme is designed to get positive plays and explosive plays of 20 yards or more.

The critical play on the drive is the 3rd down and 10 which comes after a holding call on a 3rd and 1. Without the throw Schaub makes there, the drive ends in a punt or a FG attempt. Schaub converts another 3rd down with his feet. Schaub is excellent at play fakes, which works to perfection to cap off the drive with a touchdown. If anyone thinks that this drive isn't the perfect description of the elegance of our offense when it is being run the way it is supposed to be, I would challenge them to point to a drive which better demonstrates the qualities of the Kubiak offense.
_________________



[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amazingandre


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 14157
Location: Elkhorn, WI
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
In terms of the video, the run game is run through Schaub. If you don't know that then you don't know anything about the ZBS. Schaub decides which direction the play is going to go before the snap. If he reads that the defense is overloading the strong side of the formation then he flips the run to the weak side, which is why you see so many weak side runs in our offense. The blocking scheme is designed to get positive plays and explosive plays of 20 yards or more.

The critical play on the drive is the 3rd down and 10 which comes after a holding call on a 3rd and 1. Without the throw Schaub makes there, the drive ends in a punt or a FG attempt. Schaub converts another 3rd down with his feet. Schaub is excellent at play fakes, which works to perfection to cap off the drive with a touchdown. If anyone thinks that this drive isn't the perfect description of the elegance of our offense when it is being run the way it is supposed to be, I would challenge them to point to a drive which better demonstrates the qualities of the Kubiak offense.


The highlighted is what the video ACTUALLY did, but the point remains, this video is a poor attempt to show off Schaubs skills....

THIS IS THE BEST single game performance Ive ever witnessed and if he played like this every week he would be one of the GOAT. It shows his composure, his accuracy, his athleticism, his decision making and his fearlessness. The greastest performance and his best DRIVES ever IMO....


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ghV1HmRVfw

He blew it in the end, BUT the 60 minutes prior were his best ever
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jargin


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 7038
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to acknowledge that those are two completely different circumstances. In the Ravens game we were down 2 touchdowns at the end of the game, in the link I posted it was the opening drive of the game. We weren't in a hurry up offense. Against the Ravens we were in desperation mode, where yes, you get to see Schaub toss the ball all over the yard. However we should hope we never find ourselves in that circumstance next season and that we see more of those 15 play drives to open games. Just because we ran the ball more times than we threw it on the drive against the Steelers doesn't mean Schaub's impact wasn't evident. He kept the drive alive multiple times. Thats the job of a QB. Yes, its also the job of a QB to lead you back when you are down but I think the drive against the Steelers shows Schaub's in and out of the huddle of the normal offense the best.
_________________



[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amazingandre


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 14157
Location: Elkhorn, WI
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
You have to acknowledge that those are two completely different circumstances. In the Ravens game we were down 2 touchdowns at the end of the game, in the link I posted it was the opening drive of the game. We weren't in a hurry up offense. Against the Ravens we were in desperation mode, where yes, you get to see Schaub toss the ball all over the yard. However we should hope we never find ourselves in that circumstance next season and that we see more of those 15 play drives to open games. Just because we ran the ball more times than we threw it on the drive against the Steelers doesn't mean Schaub's impact wasn't evident. He kept the drive alive multiple times. Thats the job of a QB. Yes, its also the job of a QB to lead you back when you are down but I think the drive against the Steelers shows Schaub's in and out of the huddle of the normal offense the best.


Sorry Schaub did not do anything IMPORTANT in that Steelers drive and just because you say he did doesn't make it fact. He made some OK THROWS and ran for a 1st down, 2 above average things, meanwhile our run game DOMINATED which had nothing to do with Matt. Disagree all you want, but those plays were scripted and pre-planned, decided by our coaches, not Matt Schaub going rogue and calling the shots like you indicated earlier in this discussion.

Bottom line is, you're video was a poor attempt to showcase Matts skills. End of discussion
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jargin


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 7038
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
jargin wrote:
You have to acknowledge that those are two completely different circumstances. In the Ravens game we were down 2 touchdowns at the end of the game, in the link I posted it was the opening drive of the game. We weren't in a hurry up offense. Against the Ravens we were in desperation mode, where yes, you get to see Schaub toss the ball all over the yard. However we should hope we never find ourselves in that circumstance next season and that we see more of those 15 play drives to open games. Just because we ran the ball more times than we threw it on the drive against the Steelers doesn't mean Schaub's impact wasn't evident. He kept the drive alive multiple times. Thats the job of a QB. Yes, its also the job of a QB to lead you back when you are down but I think the drive against the Steelers shows Schaub's in and out of the huddle of the normal offense the best.


Sorry Schaub did not do anything IMPORTANT in that Steelers drive and just because you say he did doesn't make it fact. He made some OK THROWS and ran for a 1st down, 2 above average things, meanwhile our run game DOMINATED which had nothing to do with Matt. Disagree all you want, but those plays were scripted and pre-planned, decided by our coaches, not Matt Schaub going rogue and calling the shots like you indicated earlier in this discussion.

Bottom line is, you're video was a poor attempt to showcase Matts skills. End of discussion
First of all its not my video. Secondly it demonstrates Matt's skill in running the offense better than the video link that you posted. You just don't seem to agree with anything that I have to say. Thats fine. Don't agree. Be a contrarian. Go ahead.
_________________



[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marco79


Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 11563
Location: Bloomington, IN
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
You just don't seem to agree with anything that I have to say. Thats fine. Don't agree. Be a contrarian. Go ahead.

...this is ironic. Aren't you doing the same thing? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group