Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With Banner out, a more lovable Eagles?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: With Banner out, a more lovable Eagles? Reply with quote

While scouring articles for another argument in the Banner Announcement thread, I was coming across some nuggets of information that lead me to ask:

Could the removal of Banner from the equation make the Eagles a more "lovable" team?

Through our undying love for the Eagles, there has been many things that fans have griped about. While we understand the franchise is run as one of the more well maintained businesses and football teams, sometimes the line between business and football was almost too distinct or too clear.

Now hear me out:

I'm coming across sources that keep providing common nomenclature: bad cop. Out goes Banner, out goes the "bad cop".

I think a lot of the things that may have frustrated you about the Eagles, were due to Banner, and his relief from post may indicate a better relationship between players and Eagles, as well as between fans and Eagles as well.

Quote:
Banner conceded Thursday that he would have taken back some of his actions during his 18-year tenure in running the day-to-day operations of the Eagles.

source

What things would he have possibly taken back?

Quote:
So what caused the divide? A number of things. A series of public statements made by Banner since the end of the 2008 season that made it seem as if the clock was ticking on Reid's tenure rankled the coach who has yet to win a title.

Quote:
There were Banner's comments following the January 2009 NFC championship game loss - the Eagles' fourth in five tries under Reid - when he invoked the definition of insanity (repeating mistakes over and over and expecting a different result) after he was asked if it was time for an organizational change.

Quote:
There was his calling the 2009 roster the best in the NFL before training camp.

Quote:
There was the strong implication Banner made to reporters in February 2011 that Reid had to win a Super Bowl at some point or else.

Quote:
And finally, in what may have been the last straw, there was Banner's trumpeting the Eagles' free-agency success at last season's training camp as the team's "all-in" move to finally winning a Lombardi Trophy.

And it's true. We've had Banner threads for just about all of the above. It's clear now, in light of recent developments, that Lurie is on Reid's side. But throughout the years, Banner has made comments and even criticized Reid, personally putting him on the hot-seat many times. Was Banner stepping over Lurie's shoes?

Consider the following:

Quote:
Banner cited the Eagles' handling of Brian Dawkins after the 2008 season, when he was a free agent, as one of his great regrets as president.

source

It doesn't mention that Banner was the one personally handling the Dawkins situation or was personally responsible for what happened, but some implications certainly lean toward that.

Quote:
DeSean Jackson could have been the final straw. While the wide receiver entered negotiations last year with great demands, talks between Banner and agent Drew Rosenhaus stalled. Reid wanted the extension done before the season. It didn't get done, and Jackson turned the situation into a distraction.

How about the players though?
source
Quote:
“In the past, it's no secret, guys in the locker room, the media, even fans always knew the Eagles were a cheaper organization, for lack of a better term,'' Herremans said. “They got young guys [including Herremans] to do those [below-market] extensions early in their careers. The players were the ones who agreed to those extensions, so you can't really fault the front office. They were being smart in that respect.

Quote:
“But it's definitely a little different feeling in the locker room now. Guys realize that if they play out their contract, they're not going to just get sent away. They now seem to have a take-care-of-their-own mentality.''

Per Todd Herremens himself, a victim of a cheap Eagles contract early in his career.

A lot of fans griped about the Eagles being cheap. Not being fair to their veterans. But in this past off-season, with Banner phased out, the Eagles have made many popular choices in free agency and the draft, warranted or not, and ensuing success still in the air.

I think the Eagles with Roseman as the clear guy working as the GM, will be much more likable from here on out. But who will do the dirty work? Is Roseman capable of it?

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
ianlewis16

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your last comment is really interesting. Maybe players didnt like Banner, but you have to admit he was good from the business perspective. Our contracts always tended to be very reasonable, and not often were we lumbered with a large under performing contract.

I have faith Howie, but I also have my worries.

Blahman88 wrote:
I control the EBB.......except Ian, no body can control him
McNabbMcFadden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j/k I will read later Honeybuns.
willy_law

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting point it will be interesting to see how it unfolds, i would expect us to take care of our players more, hopefully this is a new leaf
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, I think it goes without saying that the Eagles team we love the most is the team that wins the most, or more accurately, wins the most important game.

I think the important thing is, how this translate on the field. Did a roster full of players who got duped on cheap contracts early in their careers hold some of the team's potential down?

What happens when a team loves the management?

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Kiltman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Its a valid thought, I always thought of Banner as the core of the secretive/dickish attitude that the organization has had for over a decade towards the media and unfortunately with the fans too...as well as the cheap/slimy decisions and deals they tried to do. I think Lurie realized they can't do that anymore because they were quickly becoming, and were, the least liked team in the city....obviously they would be the most popular, but fans gave them the shortest leash on everything.

I think Banner leaving will help contribute towards a more fan-friendly atmosphere, but I also think it was a conscious decision that they had to as well. It's unbelievable the amount of laid back press conferences Andy has had, I wish they would have done this a long time ago.

Just reading comments on him leaving you could tell no one outside of the FO (maybe) was fond of him. I'm glad Dawk didn't let him off the hook when they asked him his thoughts on Banner leaving.

2013 Gold Standard Baldy Winner | The Final(?) ENBD Champion | other stuff too
Broadway Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good topic. I have no problem with him saying those things about Andy's job, he shouldn't feel comfortable because of his longevity and with so teams like the Giants, Packers and Saints passing us by.

Now if only we could change the way we evaluate players.

Thanks to Braylon4MVP for the sig!
jonu62882

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My love for the Eagles is like the wind; you cannot see it, but it will always be felt. It is unwavering and unconditional.

Oh, and USA #1!
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonu62882 wrote:
USA #1!

Europe > US and A

I loved that they locked up Herremans and Trent Cole pretty cheap early. Cole was asked after his contract extension if he regret signing early on with below market value, and he said no, he become a millionaire in his second season from being a 5th rounder.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
JayAp07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that our strategy in whole has clearly changed since Howie has absorbed more and more responsibility as GM and... I like it.

2013 Philadelphia Eagles NFC East Champs
Phire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAp07 wrote:
All I know is that our strategy in whole has clearly changed since Howie has absorbed more and more responsibility as GM and... I like it.

I think it's huge from a football stand point.

Just check out what we've been able to garner in free agency in the past year or two, the Eagles are easily the top 3 most desired destinations for free agents.

I think the decision was great for the team's relationship with its players and its fans.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
TheKingDP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What things would he have possibly taken back?

Gold Standard.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

Can we talk about how they screwed over T.O? After he has one the most dominate season ever by any player at any position Let him walk to Dallas. Then did nothing ever to replace him. They instead draft more talented versions of Pinkston(Jackson) and Reggie Brown(Maclin) 4 to 5 years later after our last Super Bowl birth. ...and is Banner that off when he talks about the insanity? Lol our refusale to run the ball when we are running it so well , our lack of creativity and execution on critical downs, the lack of care and game slamming at times, that blatant ignoring of in game stratigizing. I love Andy but we are so vanilla.

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think Banner is a loser. I hope he buys a team soon and stays the hell away from Lurie. Hes probably the clown who doesnt want us to switch to Kelly Green Retros forever like we should or refuses to make Dorenbos the highest paid player in the game like he should be.

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the atmosphere will be changing with Banner there in a reduced role.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: