Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Joe Banner OUT as Eagles President
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
Phire wrote:
Fitz2k2 wrote:
Reid is outta control!!!!!!

He's more in-control now Cool

He didn't gain any power, his direct report boss just changed.

But that direct report boss isn't as powerful as his predecessor. That's why while Andy didn't gain any new official responsibilities of powers, there's a little more room for Andy's hand in the goody-bag.

Banner was basically co-executive with his best friend Jeff Lurie. He was involved in a lot of football operations, as we are all familiar with.

Smolenski stated in an interview that he doesn't even watch football tape. This guy is much less involved, and as a previous source states, he's much more of a traditional President.

No, there wasn't an announcement that Andy Reid would be assuming more powers or responsibilities as a result of this change.

But yes, the less involved and less influential President means those around him gain a little more involvement and influence, which is where there's talk of Andy's powers growing.

Who exactly is taking on the role that banner once filled in the football side of things? Howie Roseman right? So how has Andy gained more power, if anything his GM is more powerful now. This is now more of a situation where Andy can be fired while roseman is retained.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
Phire wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
Phire wrote:
Fitz2k2 wrote:
Reid is outta control!!!!!!

He's more in-control now Cool

He didn't gain any power, his direct report boss just changed.

But that direct report boss isn't as powerful as his predecessor. That's why while Andy didn't gain any new official responsibilities of powers, there's a little more room for Andy's hand in the goody-bag.

Banner was basically co-executive with his best friend Jeff Lurie. He was involved in a lot of football operations, as we are all familiar with.

Smolenski stated in an interview that he doesn't even watch football tape. This guy is much less involved, and as a previous source states, he's much more of a traditional President.

No, there wasn't an announcement that Andy Reid would be assuming more powers or responsibilities as a result of this change.

But yes, the less involved and less influential President means those around him gain a little more involvement and influence, which is where there's talk of Andy's powers growing.

Who exactly is taking on the role that banner once filled in the football side of things? Howie Roseman right? So how has Andy gained more power, if anything his GM is more powerful now. This is now more of a situation where Andy can be fired while roseman is retained.

It's still 3 hands instead of 2.

If Roseman, Banner, and Reid were all at the same table, there needs to be 3 slices of the pie. Now that Banner is out of the equation, it's down to Roseman and Reid. No matter how you cut it, it's two pieces instead of three.

I don't know that Roseman is getting any additional responsibilities. From all that I've read on the subject, Banner was simply an overpowered President due to his status with Lurie. There was no duty or responsibility that Banner alone was doing. He was doing his job as President, and a little bit of GM work and a little bit of other stuff.

Replace him with a President who has regular responsibilities, and that doesn't necessarily mean they're trying to fill the void where his influence overlapped.

Roseman won't be doing anything he wasn't before, and neither will Reid, but without Banner overlapping on both of them they both gain a little more influence.

That's why Reid is getting more power.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire although I agree since Smolenski is not involved with personnel therefore Banners duties have to fall somewhere, I don't think thats going to be towards Reid. They stated it numerous times that this plan was set into motion early 2011 and going to be executed throughout early 2012.
Phire wrote:
Roseman won't be doing anything he wasn't before, and neither will Reid, but without Banner overlapping on both of them they both gain a little more influence.

Hence the more responsibilities Howie's has taken on the last few months with Contracts ,Extensions and FA , Banners previous job. The plan looks as though Roseman will take over "ALL" of those duties (answer to no one besides Lurie) and Smolenski will take over day to day operations Non Personnel related.
Phire wrote:
Banner was simply an overpowered President due to his status with Lurie. There was no duty or responsibility that Banner alone was doing. He was doing his job as President, and a little bit of GM work and a little bit of other stuff.

This IMO is blatantly false. There's a difference from having a succession plan in place (much like a youth movement 2008) and implemented and a lame duck President with no responsibilities. All we heard for years (previous decade) was about Banner and "his" involvement in getting deals done and contracts signed. That all changed last season when the succession plan started to come to fruition and Howie given what appeared to be free rain . Banner was way more then a figure piece with limited responsibilities IMO. Now Smolenski on the other hand ,is another story.

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 11 Gm/ 63 Rec/ 980 Yds/ 9 TD/ 15.5 YPC/
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully understand where you guys are coming from.

But try looking at it this way.

Our forum has three mods. Me, 808, and Nabbs. Take one out and the other two has more responsibilities even without anyone officially giving it to them.

I know it's not that simple in this case, but any way you slice it, Reid is getting more power. He has one less guy to answer to. He has one less powerful influence in the meeting rooms.

Roseman as the GM was already doing all the GM work. Yes, Banner overlapped some of his work, and yes, the shift toward Roseman gaining control of all of the GM work is a raise in Roseman's power.

In the same way, Banner was involved in a lot of football operations that Andy Reid was as well.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Roseman-Prepared-For-The-Moment/70decf1b-8034-4f1a-a752-5c3720311add

Quote:
Banner, who had been team President for nearly 11 years, was renowned as one of the league's top executives for his success in both the business operations as well the football operations of the franchise.

There's your proof clear as day.

I know people are opposed to the notion of a conspiracy to forcefully give Reid more power, but being opposed to that doesn't mean you have to automatically be opposed to any notion of Reid getting more power.

Admitting Reid is getting more power isn't admitting there is a conspiracy. In this stream of logic it's the truth of the matter.

And I'm not the only one saying this.

Banner-Reid Power Struggle? Better Believe It

Quote:
Reid will never admit it publicly, but he believes letting Jackson go into last season without a new contract was a big reason why the Eagles missed the playoffs last season. The immature Jackson let his contract problems affect his play and also had a ripple effect on the players in the locker room. Reid made it clear at seasonís end that he wanted Jackson back. My sense is Banner felt the Eagles would be better off without him.

Quote:
For Reid, it means he finally is a Bill Belichick-like king. While chief executive officer Don Smolenski will take over the day-to-day operations of running the Eagles, this truly is Reidís ship now for as long as Lurie chooses to keep him around. Which could be just one more year. Or 10 more years, depending on what happens this season.

ESPN: Joe Banner to become Adviser

Quote:
As a result, there will be a shift in responsibility for all football operations to coach Andy Reid and general manager Howie Roseman -- a move that has been in the works for months, a senior team official said Thursday.

There is no way you take Banner out of the equation without giving Reid more power. I think this is clear.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Phire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banner, Eagles cite amicable split, but signs point to Reid victory

Quote:
The same holds true for the extension the Eagles gave running back LeSean McCoy - another Rosenhaus client - last month. Banner, who had helped build the Eagles into a fiscal success story, was being phased out as Reid asserted his control.

There was always uncertainty over who had more power - Reid or Banner. Now there is no doubt: Reid has absolute control over the Eagles, and the 2012 team bears his fingerprints more than ever.

The same article also notes many of the splits that may have lead to Banner's stepping down.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Our forum has three mods. Me, 808, and Nabbs. Take one out and the other two has more responsibilities even without anyone officially giving it to them.

I know it's not that simple in this case, but any way you slice it, Reid is getting more power. He has one less guy to answer to. He has one less powerful influence in the meeting rooms.

You have to look at it from another standpoint though Phire. Yes for arguments sake Nabbs was released of his duties and "technically" he was replacement by what appears to be a figure head Mod with tenure like Ian/Ninja Wink however "technically" they too would assume powers and control as well would thye not??. God help us all if that was to happen but all in all either of them would still would be the third party to voice his opinions, break tie breakers and help make decisions would thye not?? Yes AR appears to have more control but in all honesty I think it is Howie that is the top dog with most of the power not the other way around!

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 11 Gm/ 63 Rec/ 980 Yds/ 9 TD/ 15.5 YPC/
Phire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
Quote:

You have to look at it from another standpoint though Phire. Yes for arguments sake Nabbs was released of his duties and "technically" he was replacement by what appears to be a figure head Mod with tenure like Ian/Ninja Wink however "technically" they too would assume powers and control as well would thye not??. God help us all if that was to happen but all in all either of them would still would be the third party to voice his opinions, break tie breakers and help make decisions would thye not?? Yes AR appears to have more control but in all honesty I think it is Howie that is the top dog with most of the power not the other way around!

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but the argument wasn't who the top dog was, it was whether Andy Reid's control/power/influence increased or not due to the removal of Banner, and the answer clearly is yes.

I don't know what Roseman's role will be. I don't know that he's the top dog. I've never heard reports where Roseman and Reid haven't gotten along. Roseman has never called out Reid and put him on the hot seat. I don't think there's going to be a "top dog, lower dog" relationship here.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if he is going to be part of a group to bring football to LA.

I know Lurie lives in LA and that his city connection wise, i wonder if he social networking Banner into a buying party like Magic did with the Dodgers.

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who fills this void?

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:
So who fills this void?

Tom Smolenski. Or Dom Smolenski.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

I feel the main Issue with Banner is he had way to much protective interest in best boyfriend Jeffery Luries money. We were way under the cap so many times with just sick talent in key positions like Dawk, West, Runyan, Thomas, Brown Nabbs, There was for sure a conservative tone most offseasons through that era, you get to a super bowl and you dont re gear up as hard as possible for the super bowl? Thats unheard of. T.O is a d bag but what a talent he was, i know Banner was trying to protect his friends interest and money , and saw a risk there but how do you not pay that guy? The minute he walked on to the field of the super bowl after that ankle injury, you pay him, you should of paid him well, Chad Hall made more money as a Eagle then Owens did, Todd Pinkston, Kevin Curtis, Greg Lewis, Reggie Brown, Freddie Mitchell, Donte Stallworth, Riley Cooper all have made more money in Green then Owens did in Green. There was not a defense on the planet that would of stopped a healthy Westbrook, T.O, Nabbs on the same field together, specially if Donny Nabbs would of ran a little bit, my god... There was no reason to not pay him , it just became clear the Eagles were to scared to invest money long term into Owens, which is laughable if we were really gunning as hard core for rings.That was Banner bro, i think Andy would of wanted to do it, but powers above him, got the asss out for T.O and his agent , and were totally intimidated by situation. Outside of that year and those issues we created , T.O from Dallas to Buffalo was pretty chill and produced for many years after at a really high level.. Lol how you going to throw the ball 35 to 50 times per game and not make how investments in your reciever position till you draft DeSean and Maclin...so so so so so so so stupid ...

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: