Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans WR Situation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treece300e

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
We resigned Bryant Johnson.

Quote:
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

Texans reached agreement to re-sign WR Bryant Johnson.

championship LMAO, I wish we would trade Tate for James Jones

I watched ever Packers game last year and I didn't see him as being worthy of a player that can be an every down back in this league. Rumor is he's on the chopping block in Green Bay anyway. Jones is inconsistent and I can't recall a time that his blocking stood out to me. He does have the big-catch ability, and I wouldn't be opposed to him being on the team. But I think the market value for Tate is higher than Jones'.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
We resigned Bryant Johnson.

Quote:
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

Texans reached agreement to re-sign WR Bryant Johnson.

championship LMAO, I wish we would trade Tate for James Jones

I watched ever Packers game last year and I didn't see him as being worthy of a player that can be an every down back in this league. Rumor is he's on the chopping block in Green Bay anyway. Jones is inconsistent and I can't recall a time that his blocking stood out to me. He does have the big-catch ability, and I wouldn't be opposed to him being on the team. But I think the market value for Tate is higher than Jones'.

Tate straight up for James is an awful deal from a value standpoint. Tate is controlled for two more years at $1.06 million. Jones costs $5.65 million over the next two years. Adding in the $2.5 million hit we already took for cutting Jacoby Jones you are essentially paying $7.09 million to replace Jacoby for a marginally better James and giving up a RB who has proven he can carry the load when pressed into action for the pleasure. Much like Jacoby, James Jones will have value if cut, but nobody is going to give up anything but a token late draft pick if they have to take on that contract, better yet a 2nd rounder like Tate. This isn't the 90's where you handed the ball to your workhorse back 30 times a game - you need 2 quality backs. Given the choice, I'd roll with Tate + marginal talent at #2-#5 WR this year and give Posey, Jean, Martin the chance to develop as #3's while also keeping salary flexibility in combination with cutting Walter go after a quality #2 in free agency or WR in the 1st next year.

Bringing B. Johnson back was the best option currently available and raises the floor for this WR group, without inhibiting the ceiling. For those of you not good at deciphering metaphor, he gives us a NFL quality receiver who has proven he can perform the job without killing you. If Jean, Martin, Posey can't prove that they can learn and consistently run the routes in the playbook or throwing to them means risking int's or screwing up spacing for other receivers you can't stick them out there and Bryant remains a better option as #3 even if he just catches a ball every other game. I am still of the belief that our #3 receiver is a vet on someone else's roster right now.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
jch1911

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
I am still of the belief that our #3 receiver is a vet on someone else's roster right now.

This. But who? I was thinking Louis Murphy, but he's a Panther now (he might not make it to their 53, but it looks likely).

Other options
Patrick Turner (NYJ)
Derrick Carrier (OAK) - not a vet, but has tools for our version of WCO
Joe Morgan (NO) - I think my dream pickup right now if he were cut
Braylon Edwards (FA)
Plaxico Burress (FA)

Last edited by jch1911 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
jargin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you guys are out of your minds for bringing up Plaxico and Braylon. Trading Tate for James Jones is laughable.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
kenney

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
Some of you guys are out of your minds for bringing up Plaxico and Braylon. Trading Tate for James Jones is laughable.

I'm positive Ax2 was being sarcastic. It was a trade rumor propagated by Green Bay fans a few months ago.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seahawks passed on Edwards for Antonio Bryant. That's all you need to know about Braylon Edwards. There was a time I actually wanted Plax, but I wouldn't be pissed if we brought him in for a tryout. Doubt we do though. He would be a nice red zone target for Schaub.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One dream scenario would be for Joseph Morgan to have a killer preseason for the Saints like last year (before tearing his meniscus) and allow them to cut Devery Henderson and his $2.6 million salary. Colston is set at #1, as is Lance Moore in the slot, with Nick Toon and Adrian Arrington also in the mix. Henderson is limited as a #2 for them, but he would be a perfect fit for us as #3 since what we really need is a guy who can burn people on occasion who hyperfocus on AJ or the run game. Heck, maybe we can put Kareem on Morgan in our preseason game and make him look like a stud while JohnJoe shuts down Henderson.

Jean projects as a similar player to Henderson, but I'm just not buying that he has the wheels to do it until I see him beat an NFL corner, not 4th quarter camp fodder. Adding another big slow guy who can't separate accomplishes little since Casey and Graham can replicate that in 2 TE set and have a better shot of beating an LB than slow receiver against nickleback.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
jch1911

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Wallace. Seems like Pittsburgh and Wallace have gotten into another pi$$ing match.

Since the Steelers just spent their WR budget on Antonio Brown, I think we should go after Wallace. I would offer the Steelers our 2013 1st & 3rd round picks (we should be getting a 3rd round compensatory in 2013 anyway) in exchange for Wallace and 2013 2nd.

I would tell Wallace we win the Super Bowl and you get a 5 year, $45M contract ($15M SB, $24M guaranteed)
2013: $4M base + $3M SB = $7M (guaranteed)
2014: $5M base + $3M SB = $8M (guaranteed)
2015: $6M base + $3M SB = $9M
2016: $7M base + $3M SB = $10M
2017: $8M base + $3M SB = $11M

He's making decent money, but not as much as Andre.

Just a thought.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think James Jones is being underestimated in this thread, I was not being serious about the trade. Im against trading Tate at this point. He is cheap and I am not convinced Schaub will remain healthy which means we will run a lot again.

Also, Jones is not going to be cut, Driver would be first. Driver already opened his mouth about playing a few more seasons and supposedly Thompson is not happy. Ted was courteous by offering him a contract this season and next, but in reality he will be over paid and will fight for number 4 time behind Jennings, Nelson and Jones and competing with Cobb who PackersNation loves. Maybe Driver gets cut and we take a look
jargin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with Ahman Green and Eric Moulds as examples of what not to do, Rick Smith is more comfortable than most with the idea of starting a rookie like Keshawn Martin at the slot.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Grasspike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Mike Wallace. Seems like Pittsburgh and Wallace have gotten into another pi$$ing match.

Since the Steelers just spent their WR budget on Antonio Brown, I think we should go after Wallace. I would offer the Steelers our 2013 1st & 3rd round picks (we should be getting a 3rd round compensatory in 2013 anyway) in exchange for Wallace and 2013 2nd.

I would tell Wallace we win the Super Bowl and you get a 5 year, $45M contract ($15M SB, $24M guaranteed)

Just a thought.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I don't think we'd have to give quite this much up, and I'd cap his salary at 9 mil a year, but I'd be generally in favor of this. Gives us an elite #2 and solves the problem of who AJ's heir will be.

Sig by matthouston91
jch1911

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:

Just a thought.

Nevermind. Shocked

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports restricted free agent Mike Wallace turned down a contract offer in the five-year, $50 million range.
Wallace is said to be seeking a deal similar to Vincent Jackson's five-year, $55.556 million contract. Without knowledge of the guarantees involved, it's easy to second-guess Wallace's decision to skip the beginning of training camp. Wallace must now decide whether to report to camp under the $2.742 million tender or sit out the first 10 games of the season in protest.
per rotoworld
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the cuts we had to make this off-season, I doubt we have that kind of cash laying around to sign Wallace, not to mention we need big time money next off-season to resign a good amount of guys.
jch1911

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seahawks signed WR Braylon Edwards to a one-year deal.
Source: Dave Mahler on Twitter (via rotoworld)
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Also, Jones is not going to be cut, Driver would be first. Driver already opened his mouth about playing a few more seasons and supposedly Thompson is not happy. Ted was courteous by offering him a contract this season and next, but in reality he will be over paid and will fight for number 4 time behind Jennings, Nelson and Jones and competing with Cobb who PackersNation loves. Maybe Driver gets cut and we take a look

He IS originally from Houston.

Anywho - just heard on 610 that Kubiak has been pleased with DeVier Posey as of late:

HT.com wrote:
“He has a lot of talent, a lot of ability. You could tell in OTAs and stuff that he had missed a lot of football, but I see him catching up. I like the way he works. He’s in very good shape and can go all day, so that’s what you’ve got to do in this league to play receiver. He’s on his way. He’s had a good week so far.”

While I'm not ready to let him off the hook, I think it's a solid sign. Seems like he has a good work ethic, and you can't discount the praise he gets for being in shape; That's a big part of taking a game from college to pro, the ability to keep yourself in game shape.

Still think it was a bad pick, however.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: