Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seattle Mariners Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagles27

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The team most likely to surprise the American League in 2013 is the Seattle Mariners.

Surprise Score: 56.

Positive Indicators: The Mariners have the third-youngest hitters in baseball (13 points). They have the 12th youngest pitchers (4 points). Their second-half record was 39-36 (15 points) and they went 15-12 in August (5 points). John Sickels ranks their farm system as the second-best in baseball (19 points).

Additional Notes: I was putting the finishing touches on this article as the news came out about the Felix Hernandez contract extension. Some folks have said that it’s silly for the Mariners to commit so much money to one player, when they’re so far away from contending. It’s easy to sleep on the Mariners, as they’ve been the ignored team in the AL West for a while, but they’re certainly on the rise. It’s likely that Oakland and Texas will decline slightly next year, and while the Los Angeles Trouts are probably going to win 162 games this year, the Mariners could get into the Wild Card race. The team has young talent: if players like Ackley and Montero and Kyle Seager can take a step forward on offense, and if prospects like Nick Franklin and Michael Zunino have an impact, the pitching and defense (ranked first in defensive efficiency last year) should keep Seattle in the mix.

http://www.billjamesonline.com/which_team_will_surprise_in_2013_/

#JDI
Sacks98

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
12:31pm: The deal is still on track and an announcement could come in the next day or two, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports (Twitter links). The team is working out language that will protect Seattle against future elbow trouble.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#sIBTMG5fREC70wLH.99

Quote:
Sitting here at the Peoria Sports Complex awaiting the arrival later today of Felix Hernandez, who is still in negotiations with the Mariners over a long-term contract extension that will keep him here through 2019.

My feeling, from everybody I’ve spoken to the past 24 hours, is that something could be announced in another day or two.

The issues with Hernandez’s elbow and any potential long-term reprecussions from it can be dealt with by implementing new language in the contract. But as of right now, there is no short-term, immediate issue with the elbow. In other words, Hernandez is still the team’s No. 1 starter and is expected to be that on Opening Day. He’ll arrive here today to put stuff in his locker, then take a physical tomorrow along with other pitchers and catchers. It won’t have to be a complete physical like everybody else is doing because parts of it were already covered by stuff he had done in Seattle as part of this contract extension process.

There has been a total news blackout imposed by both sides as the talks head towards their conclusion. Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik is here in Peoria — another possible sign we’ll have some type of press conference in 24 hours or so — but as of right now is secluded in his office and not speaking with reporters. But sources tell me this deal is going to get done and will likely happen before Hernandez takes the field for his first workout on Wednesday. In fact, we could see something announced tomorrow as long as there are no further snags.

In all, that’s much better news than we were getting on Saturday and Sunday.

To summarize, here’s what happened.

The two sides had a basic deal in-place on Thursday, which is why all the leaks surfaced about the years and money involved.

Hernandez was put through an extensive physical and something was spotted on an MRI taken on his elbow. My understanding is that what was seen is wear and tear and the potential for something happening down the road. There’s also a chance nothing could happen down the road. It’s all educated guesswork.

That new development caused parts of the deal to have to be reworked in order to protect the team.

Things like that can take more than a day or two to work through. But they don’t have to be deal-breakers. From what I’ve been led to understand, this time, it won’t be. Hernandez will be staying with the Mariners for a long, long time.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/mariners/2013/02/11/felix-hernandez-deal-will-likely-get-done-soon/
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deal is complete. News at 2 PM

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
hawkman98272

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:
Deal is complete. News at 2 PM

IDOG_det

#JDI
hawkman98272

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed Kameron Loe to a minor league deal. Could be a nice arm for the pen. Like the little risk we're taking.

IDOG_det

#JDI
Eagles27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the extension will be structured.

With us missing out on most of the big FA's, I hope the FO used some of the savings to front load this deal a bit. 25 million a year isn't going to seem as huge once we get our new TV deal, but it would be nice if Felix got a signing bonus that pushes this to 30+ million in year 1, and gives us a bit more flexibility down the road.

#JDI
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles27 wrote:
I wonder how the extension will be structured.

With us missing out on most of the big FA's, I hope the FO used some of the savings to front load this deal a bit. 25 million a year isn't going to seem as huge once we get our new TV deal, but it would be nice if Felix got a signing bonus that pushes this to 30+ million in year 1, and gives us a bit more flexibility down the road.

Yeah, I'm not really worried either way to be honest, but that would be very nice.

I'm really excited for baseball to start. Probably going to order MLB.TV tomorrow and catch up on some good games from last year before spring training starts.

As for us, I really hope Montero shows up big this year. We really need him to succeed. With him Morse and Morales in the middle, that could be fun.

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
Eagles27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Montero will probably be the key to whether or not we can be a surprise team this year. I expect progression, but I think he still ends up being a bit underwhelming this year. I'm still a believer long-term though.

What do you think about some individual statistical predictions? Since I'm bored...

C Jesus Montero - .275 / .320 / .440 / 21 HR
1B Justin Smoak - .235 / .310 / .400 / 22 HR
2B Dustin Ackley - .265 / .340 / .400 / 13 HR
SS Brendan Ryan - .225 / .280 / .310 / 4 HR
3B Kyle Seager - .270 / .325 / .410 / 16 HR
LF Michael Morse - .270 / .320 / .460 / 27 HR
CF Franklin Gutierrez - .250 / .300 / .390 / 9 HR
RF Michael Saunders - .240 / .295 / .420 / 17 HR
DH Kendrys Morales - .280 / .330 / .450 / 24 HR

#JDI
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles27 wrote:
Yeah, Montero will probably be the key to whether or not we can be a surprise team this year. I expect progression, but I think he still ends up being a bit underwhelming this year. I'm still a believer long-term though.

What do you think about some individual statistical predictions? Since I'm bored...

C Jesus Montero - .275 / .320 / .440 / 21 HR
1B Justin Smoak - .235 / .310 / .400 / 22 HR
2B Dustin Ackley - .265 / .340 / .400 / 13 HR
SS Brendan Ryan - .225 / .280 / .310 / 4 HR
3B Kyle Seager - .270 / .325 / .410 / 16 HR
LF Michael Morse - .270 / .320 / .460 / 27 HR
CF Franklin Gutierrez - .250 / .300 / .390 / 9 HR
RF Michael Saunders - .240 / .295 / .420 / 17 HR
DH Kendrys Morales - .280 / .330 / .450 / 24 HR

I don't disagree with much. I think Seager does better than that. .275/.340/.440

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
animaltested

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty excited about this year... although I am every year, only to be routinely and systematically let down. A couple of the young players have to turn the corner eventually, right? So much disappointment lately. Confused

Quote:
If you don't care for obscenity, you don't care for the truth; if you don't care for the truth, watch how you vote.
RCobb18

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

animaltested wrote:
I am pretty excited about this year... although I am every year, only to be routinely and systematically let down. A couple of the young players have to turn the corner eventually, right? So much disappointment lately. Confused

You can only hope they get better. I really think Ackley is going to turn it around this season. The guy has hit at every level from college, minors, and the second half of his rookie season in the majors. Last year pitchers made adjustments to him and found his weakness. He will be better this year.

On a side note, Mike Carp got DFA yesterday wish him nothing but the best. Bummer he never was able to put it together. I caught a foul ball of his behind home plate at Safeco a couple seasons ago against the Braves one of the most exciting moments of my life. He was my girl friends favorite player so she is sad to see him leave.
Sacks98

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if any of you are watching the Felix press conference but wow did he get emotional so lucky to have him.

Quote:
According to Greg Johns of MLB.com, Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik told reporters on Wednesday that Felix got a “clean bill of health” from Mariners doctors during his pre-signing physical. “Our doctors were very satisfied,” said Jack Z.

So the elbow thing was either extremely minor or a negotiating tactic. Whatever the case, the M’s have finalized the record extension and will hand the ball to “King Felix” on Opening Day against the A’s

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/13/felix-hernandez-was-given-clean-bill-of-health-by-mariners/
Eagles27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Yankees have acquired right-hander Shawn Kelley from the Mariners in exchange for outfielder Abraham Almonte, according to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times (on Twitter).

Really enjoyed the PC. Cool

#JDI
Eagles27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal report that Felix Hernandez's new contract includes a $1 million club option for an eighth season if he sustains a specific elbow injury.
It would indicate that Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik might not have been entirely truthful when he said King Felix received a "clean bill of health" during his pre-signing physical. Morosi and Rosenthal say that Hernandez would have to miss 130 days within one season or consecutive seasons in order for the clause to activate.

So if Felix hurts his elbow we get him for an extra year, for basically nothing.

#JDI
Eagles27

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some confirmation on where Nick Franklin's weight gain puts him at...

Quote:
Franklin was tired of a 6-foot-1, 162-pound frame that he says was collapsing on him last August. He now weighs 196 pounds and wants to be at 200 when the season begins.

Hopefully this leads to some increased power.

#JDI

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 83 of 99

Jump to: