Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CW21's 1st Annual Packers Camp Battles Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbens06

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a21075/article/tramon-williams-might-be-limited-by-injured-shoulder

Quote:
"We did strength tests on my shoulder (in early June) and it was at about 50 percent when they tested," Williams said

Quote:
Williams may not be 100 percent when camp opens, but the Packers can manage the situation so that his shoulder can get as close to full strength as possible before the regular season starts

Personally, I think that he will be ready to go when the season starts, even if it is not 100%, but it does create an interesting battle between our backup corners, mainly I am think of House and Hayward, to see if they have potential as a starter down the road for us. Also, if one of the two play extremely well maybe Woodson makes a more permanent switch to safety.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a21075/article/tramon-williams-might-be-limited-by-injured-shoulder

Quote:
"We did strength tests on my shoulder (in early June) and it was at about 50 percent when they tested," Williams said

Quote:
Williams may not be 100 percent when camp opens, but the Packers can manage the situation so that his shoulder can get as close to full strength as possible before the regular season starts

Personally, I think that he will be ready to go when the season starts, even if it is not 100%, but it does create an interesting battle between our backup corners, mainly I am think of House and Hayward, to see if they have potential as a starter down the road for us. Also, if one of the two play extremely well maybe Woodson makes a more permanent switch to safety.

That's interesting. What percent was he playing at in the post season then? 5% shoulder strength? lol

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
blankman0021

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
Pack4life7 wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Color me surprised if we carried 3 QBs this year. That likely means we don't get to take a player whose more likely to contribute to the team.

I would honestly be surprised if we didn't keep 3 QBs this year. It's unlikely they'd be able to keep Coleman on the PS, so unless he falls on his face to the point that the Packers don't want him anymore, you pretty much have to put him on the roster.

With all of the talent this season>

No way we keep anymore than Rodgers and Harrell. This team is just way to stacked.

I think there are 40 locks on this team and maybe 6 other spots that need to be filled. That leaves 5 spots for which Coleman will be fighting with a dozen other guys. I think this one is too close to call before we get to camp.

Based on the people I've heard from, Coleman should take one of those 5 spots on merit.

Wouldn't be totally surprised to see Coleman take the #2 job if he is anywhere close to Harrell by end of camp. It'll come down to how fast he can learn the playbook and how they look in the PS. Should be an interesting roster cut down period.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
KYPack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:
packers88 wrote:
How is Alex Green as a blocker? Also, how would you rank our RBs as blockers?

His potential as a blocker and experience in blitz pick ups in a spread offense is one of the reasons TT and Mac wanted him.

My guess is, as pass happy as the Pack offense is, we will see a lot of both Starks and Green. Starks will likely get more carries though. If either one of those two do not produce or are sitting on the sideline hurt, Saine is going to get his reps and a huge opportunity.

I also think Bennet maybe a better prospect for the Packer offense than Tyler.

Bennet's a Full Back IIRC. I didn't watch any Winston-Salem games so I can't give an opinion.

I also wouldn't say that TT wanted Green because he was a good blocker in a spread. He has the potential to be a good blocker in the spread, which is a totally different thing. Hawaii played basketball on turf and often had 5 guys running routes. Green was drafted because he has a rare size/speed combo and can catch the ball. He has a ton of experience running draws against spread out defenses, and that's what TT was looking for. Green had probably never seen a FB in his life before he got to GB.

Green as a blocker is interesting because he's got the size to get the job done. He's just not quite right up top yet. That's always the risk when you draft a guy. Plenty of RBs just never commit to blitz pick-up, even though it's something that coaches look for. It's one of those things that if guys don't put in the effort, they're not going to get better. Green has spent his offseason getting his knee right, so he's probably not really had the opportunity to get on the field with the O-Line and practice the protection scheme.

Additionally, so much of blocking is dependent on how the other team likes to blitz. It's hard to get a hold of that without knowing your opponent or how the staff wants to attack their blitz. You've got to fully commit yourself during the week to learning all of the blitzes and understanding what you're going to be seeing. Additionally . . .

Rodgers doesn't really like his RBs blocking, he much prefers that MM calls a scat protection and have the RB give him a checkdown when the blitz is coming. Every back in the league is outmatched when James Harrison is the one blitzing, so Rodgers would rather have the RB run a swing route to the blitzing side. Flynn preferred the same thing, which is how Grant scored on that long catch and run at the beginning of the Lions game. Pro isn't always about squaring off and taking the guys best shot.

I'd rate the RBs on the Packers roster:

1. Tyler
2. Saine
3. Green/Starks

Tyler isn't quite a savant yet, but if you want to carry the ball at USC, you better be able to pick up a blitz. Only Trojan in recent years who couldn't was Bush, and he's a p***y. Tyler is the least familiar with the spread and how MM likes his backs to operate, but on even ground, Tyler's heads and shoulders above everybody else.

Saine's a bit behind Tyler as a blocker. If he'd been on the active roster rather than the Practice Squad he'd probably be farther along but he just wasn't getting the practice reps until after Green went down. Saine's turned himself into a decent blocker, but he shies away from contact a bit too much. Saine's a freak, but is more athlete than football player and probably always will be. It takes more of a sack than Saine's shown to be great in pass pro. Rodgers likes him because the guy can catch a football, and is an outstanding route runner, which plays into what Rodgers wants to do when blitzed.

Green and Starks are the two that are pretty poor. Starks is disappointing because he's had every opportunity in the world to get it together and he just hasn't. He was dreadful against the Giants. At a certain point, you may just have to write Starks off as a blocker. Some guys just don't have it, and are never going to have it upstairs. Starks is reaching that point.

Green is the one that has the most potential on the team, not just as a blocker but as an all around back. He can catch in scat pro. He's got the size to stone guys in standard pro. It just hasn't come together that we've seen. At Hawaii he was a pretty good blocker but was prone to brain farts, and in GB he never really got on the field before he got hurt. In what little we've seen he seemed to have a decent understanding of who he was supposed to block, and that will only improve as he gets more reps.

Pretty good list, but it's upside down or inside out or something. Tyler might be our best back on even ground, but not on an NFL team. Tyler is short, slow, and will be happy as hell if he makes our PS. The starter? No way.

Starks starts. Green is in the mix with a lot of reps. Saine will probably be the third man. Tyler is a long shot to make PS and an even longer shot to make the 53.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYPack wrote:

Pretty good list, but it's upside down or inside out or something. Tyler might be our best back on even ground, but not on an NFL team. Tyler is short, slow, and will be happy as hell if he makes our PS. The starter? No way.

Starks starts. Green is in the mix with a lot of reps. Saine will probably be the third man. Tyler is a long shot to make PS and an even longer shot to make the 53.

It's not a depth chart. It's a list of their ability in blitz pickup.
Frank-O

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
KYPack wrote:

Have you done a bunch of film study or where are you getting your rankings from? Not a diss at all, I honestly just want to know, haven't watched much of Tyler at all.

I know Starks has somewhat struggled with Pass pro but I think with a full offseason he could improve tremendously (remember he was injured his Rookie year and no offseason last yr.).

Not sure how Green is on his pass pro, but like you said, he's familiar with the shotgun, draws, etc.

Saine is my #1 contender for the 3rd down back, he looked the part from what I saw last year. Blocks pretty good for a rookie w/o the offseason, catches great and runs well after the catch.

My depth chart looks like this;
1. Starks ("bellcow")
2. Saine (3rd down/screen back)
3. Green (feed him more and more throughout the season)
spilltray

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank-O wrote:
Have you done a bunch of film study or where are you getting your rankings from? Not a diss at all, I honestly just want to know, haven't watched much of Tyler at all.

I know Starks has somewhat struggled with Pass pro but I think with a full offseason he could improve tremendously (remember he was injured his Rookie year and no offseason last yr.).

Not sure how Green is on his pass pro, but like you said, he's familiar with the shotgun, draws, etc.

Saine is my #1 contender for the 3rd down back, he looked the part from what I saw last year. Blocks pretty good for a rookie w/o the offseason, catches great and runs well after the catch.

1. Starks ("bellcow")

If GB used a "base" 2 RB, 1 TE, 2 WR offense, I could see that, but they basically use a single back base formation. They don't really need or use a "bellcow".

I'd like to see Green in the #1 spot. He's good out of a single back set running and receiving and I feel more confident in his blocking than any RB other than Kuhn. I feel he is the only RB on the roster that has the potential to be a well rounded RB that can be used out of all of the multiple formations the Packers use. I just don't see much to get excited out of Starks. He's a decent enough traditional RB but that isn't all that useful in a non-traditional offense. To me Saine is nothing special at all. I don't even consider him all that much more likely to make the roster than Marc Tyler or Du'ane Bennett. I'm not going to be too angry/surprised no matter which of the 3 ends up on the roster.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frank-O

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
Frank-O wrote:

1. Starks ("bellcow")

If GB used a "base" 2 RB, 1 TE, 2 WR offense, I could see that, but they basically use a single back base formation. They don't really need or use a "bellcow".

I'd like to see Green in the #1 spot. He's good out of a single back set running and receiving and I feel more confident in his blocking than any RB other than Kuhn. I feel he is the only RB on the roster that has the potential to be a well rounded RB that can be used out of all of the multiple formations the Packers use. I just don't see much to get excited out of Starks. He's a decent enough traditional RB but that isn't all that useful in a non-traditional offense. To me Saine is nothing special at all. I don't even consider him all that much more likely to make the roster than Marc Tyler or Du'ane Bennett. I'm not going to be too angry/surprised no matter which of the 3 ends up on the roster.

That's why I put a quote around the word "bellcow", I know we don't have one, but there's usually one RB that takes the 1st or 2nd down runs (Grant/Starks) and I think Starks will be that guy this year.

I'd like to see Green in the #1 spot aswell, he's by far got the most potential out of our backs. But honestly I don't see him getting many touches especially early in the season, so I refuse to get my hopes up. And as far as Saine, I see him as a Brandon Jackson type of guy, who by any means was not special, and I think Saine can fufill that role. He's got a year on Tyler and Bennett, and we all know that goes along way in this organization.
KYPack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
KYPack wrote:

How can you possibly rate Marc Tyler the best Packer RB in blitz pickup when he has never done it?

Both Tyler and Du'ane Bennett (Bennet is an RB, not a FB like I saw earlier in the thread) are real longshots to make our 53. They are both short UDFA's and turned in some of the best 40 times I've ever seen. For defensive ends. For RB's both of em are SLOW.

I hope one of 'em does turn out to be the Shields of the RB corp, but man they are real long shots.

Starks has improved on his PP, but he's admittedly had a long way to come. At least he does work on it.

From what I saw last season at the end I'd rate Starks head and shoulders above a green kid like Tyler. USC? So what, he hasn't blocked NFL players yet.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYPack wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
KYPack wrote:

How can you possibly rate Marc Tyler the best Packer RB in blitz pickup when he has never done it?

Both Tyler and Du'ane Bennett (Bennet is an RB, not a FB like I saw earlier in the thread) are real longshots to make our 53. They are both short UDFA's and turned in some of the best 40 times I've ever seen. For defensive ends. For RB's both of em are SLOW.

I hope one of 'em does turn out to be the Shields of the RB corp, but man they are real long shots.

Starks has improved on his PP, but he's admittedly had a long way to come. At least he does work on it.

From what I saw last season at the end I'd rate Starks head and shoulders above a green kid like Tyler. USC? So what, he hasn't blocked NFL players yet.

Starks hasn't blocked NFL players yet either. Mostly he doesn't realize he's standing in the wrong spot until they're already past him. Starks is a terrible blocker.

75% of blocking for a back is knowing where to stand and being willing to take a hit. Tyler showed both in college. He's got enough bulk to him to not give up too much ground as well. The only reason that Tyler would make the team is his pass blocking. That's pretty much his specialty right now.
KYPack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
KYPack wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
KYPack wrote:

Starks hasn't blocked NFL players yet either. Mostly he doesn't realize he's standing in the wrong spot until they're already past him. Starks is a terrible blocker.

75% of blocking for a back is knowing where to stand and being willing to take a hit. Tyler showed both in college. He's got enough bulk to him to not give up too much ground as well. The only reason that Tyler would make the team is his pass blocking. That's pretty much his specialty right now.

Starks has big time issues in PP. But he is improving. He has learned a lot about positioning and is trying to execute his assignments. He just had a long way to go. He is never gonna be a Lorenzo Neal type, but he can improve himself to the point that he doesn't hurt the team in blitz pick-up.

Tyler can make the team as a RB based on his blocking prowess? Bzzzt. No way. If Tyler isn't a better RB than the guys ahead of him, he will be lucky to make the team on the PS. Maybe the guy is the sleeper of the year. Hope so. I don't doubt TT and his herd of Uber scouts.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
KYPack wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
KYPack wrote:

Brandon Jackson was terrible in pass pro his first couple seasons as well. He learned and ended up being a tremendous asset in PP for the Super Bowl season. Let's see what a true full offseason does for Starks PP IQ. Many people are jumping the gun in this conversation here completely. Based on his limited time in camp and preseason, Green was actually the better of the ones we had out there aside from Kuhn, and he came in very Green last year. Laughing I expect both Green and Starks to make leaps in this area, and I expect Green to excel in this area if he is ready to go at the start of TC this year.
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Sadly, I have core issues with all of them. Some ability on this roster but I sure as hell don't see a bell-cow. Still say Grant is worth picking up the phone for if the price is right.

Isn't Grant just another guy that isn't a bell-cow, though?

True, but feel he is a better pure runner than any of the others by a fair clip. Starks is clearly the most complete of what could be had though. If there is a three down back, it's Starks. I'm just one that likes a combo of Grant/Green a good bit more. Any combo of what's there now, not so much. I see the premium skills for Mac's fit. But at some level ya better be able to run it also. High hopes that USC or Starks comes to play and stays healthy!
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYPack wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
KYPack wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
KYPack wrote:

Starks has big time issues in PP. But he is improving. He has learned a lot about positioning and is trying to execute his assignments. He just had a long way to go. He is never gonna be a Lorenzo Neal type, but he can improve himself to the point that he doesn't hurt the team in blitz pick-up.

Tyler can make the team as a RB based on his blocking prowess? Bzzzt. No way. If Tyler isn't a better RB than the guys ahead of him, he will be lucky to make the team on the PS. Maybe the guy is the sleeper of the year. Hope so. I don't doubt TT and his herd of Uber scouts.

Based on his last game, Starks is just as bad in pro as he was at the beginning of the year. I'm not sure where your belief that he's improving is coming from.
KYPack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
KYPack wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
KYPack wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
KYPack wrote:

Based on his last game, Starks is just as bad in pro as he was at the beginning of the year. I'm not sure where your belief that he's improving is coming from.

Starks improved at his blitz pick-up throughtout the year. He made a great pick-up in the play-off game against the Giants, for instance. Unfortunately, the Giants ran a trail blitz and the second man nailed Rodgers. Starks main problem against the Giants was his two pass drops. He left key yardage on the field by his screw-ups in that one.

As the year went on, he improved both his reads and blocking technique. To say he never picked up a blitzer all season is absurd. Was he assignment sure in PP last year? No.

Did he improve and was he trying?, hell yes.

A big part of Starks problem is the same for most RB's. Their time in the NFL is the first time they were really required to be effective pick-up men. It's a new thing for him and it shows. As the poster stated BJack was terrible in pick-up and improved to the point where he was effective at it. Starks can make the same progress if he really works at it. He has made some progress, let's see if the third year is the charm for the boy.
I hope he gets it done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: