Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CW21's 1st Annual Packers Camp Battles Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWood21

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.flash wrote:
I think we're going to take 3 QB's with us to the 53. And I'm just fine with Harrell. He's the next Flynn tbh. Wink

Color me surprised if we carried 3 QBs this year. That likely means we don't get to take a player whose more likely to contribute to the team.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the LT battle looking like? Is Sherrod involved in the OTA's or is he not cleared yet? Newhouse played decent but got murdered by Jared Allen and Tamba Hali. I wanna see what Sherrod has, he played well vs Atlanta but struggled some in the preseason, hopefully he took a big step forward.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
.flash wrote:
I think we're going to take 3 QB's with us to the 53. And I'm just fine with Harrell. He's the next Flynn tbh. Wink

Color me surprised if we carried 3 QBs this year. That likely means we don't get to take a player whose more likely to contribute to the team.

You don't keep 3, Coleman WILL be lost!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
What's the LT battle looking like? Is Sherrod involved in the OTA's or is he not cleared yet? Newhouse played decent but got murdered by Jared Allen and Tamba Hali. I wanna see what Sherrod has, he played well vs Atlanta but struggled some in the preseason, hopefully he took a big step forward.

Not even sure there will be a battle if Sherrod don't get going shortly. Damn shame, feel by seasons end Sherrod would be the better football player. Mac is not the type that wants to mess with his front five in season. You need to truly flop for that to happen and Newhouse is good enough that I doubt it will. Good chance we have Newhouse for another year. Can't see Sherrod being better than Newhouse by the end of camp.

Not saying I agree with this. Just feel that's how it will play out. LIS, I'm just one that feels Sherrod might have a clear lean come playoffs and Newhouse also brings more value off the bench. Feel the long term greater good is to get Sherrod his reps. But Newhouse is a sound player that might be tough to beat out in camp with limited work in. Lord knows you could be worse off than Newhouse. Starter week 1 gets the year though, I bet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

Not even sure there will be a battle if Sherrod don't get going shortly. Damn shame, feel by seasons end Sherrod would be the better football player. Mac is not the type that wants to mess with his front five in season. You need to truly flop for that to happen and Newhouse is good enough that I doubt it will. Good chance we have Newhouse for another year. Can't see Sherrod being better than Newhouse by the end of camp.

Not saying I agree with this. Just feel that's how it will play out. LIS, I'm just one that feels Sherrod might have a clear lean come playoffs and Newhouse also brings more value off the bench. Feel the long term greater good is to get Sherrod his reps. But Newhouse is a sound player that might be tough to beat out in camp with limited work in. Lord knows you could be worse off than Newhouse. Starter week 1 gets the year though, I bet.
Agreed, very similar situation as Lang vs Colledge in 2010. I think Lang was probably better but he had the wrist and even when he got to 100% Mac didn't mess with it. Now my question is, if you plan on rolling with Newhouse and not Sherrod do you flip Bulaga to the left? My gut says they won't, but I wouldn't mind it at all. I think Bulaga is the best LT on the roster RIGHT NOW.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
CWood21

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:

I feel like we said the same thing about Tori Gurley last year. Not saying I disagree with you, but unless he looks really good in camp and we decide not to pick him up do think he's a lock to go elsewhere.
ManInCharge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the backup QBs, I think the coaching staff has one eye on the present and one on the future. Graham Harrell is a better bet to be serviceable in spot duty this year, but Coleman has more long-term potential. My guess would be that they keep 3 QBs this year and see how they pan out, and then possibly go down to 2 next year (like the transition from 08-09).

"I know one thing about these guys, they're not going to stop quitting.''
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

I feel like we said the same thing about Tori Gurley last year. Not saying I disagree with you, but unless he looks really good in camp and we decide not to pick him up do think he's a lock to go elsewhere.

Gurley had the choice and stayed though. With a young star QB like Rodgers around would Coleman? Coleman has real ability and will have an off-season under Mac as well. Gurley can play in this league but I don't see a star there by any means. Good chance Coleman would have more upside than any of the practice squad QB's available. Young man sure as hell is not lacking in confidence either. If he thinks he has a chance to play, good chance he jumps at it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

Agreed, very similar situation as Lang vs Colledge in 2010. I think Lang was probably better but he had the wrist and even when he got to 100% Mac didn't mess with it. Now my question is, if you plan on rolling with Newhouse and not Sherrod do you flip Bulaga to the left? My gut says they won't, but I wouldn't mind it at all. I think Bulaga is the best LT on the roster RIGHT NOW.

I feel Bulaga is and will be the best left tackle on this roster as well. Highly doubt they flip him unless Sherrod falls on his face down the road though. Sherrod's going to get his look and he is clearly a left tackle. All about the greater good with that one. Bulaga can clearly play and excel at both spots.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I've been too busy to really update this with training this past week. Schedule bearing, I'll update this a bit more frequently.

Backup Running Back(s)
Ted Thompson didn't draft a single running back in the draft nor did he sign one in free agency, so he must feel pretty comfortable with what he has. I think it's pretty safe to say that James Starks has a roster spot locked in, so based on past roster cuts it seems like there are three players for two slots.

Alex Green vs. Brandon Saine vs. Marc Tyler

Alex Green

Advantages:
+ Draft Status
+ Powerful Running

I'm sure many people were surprised when Ted Thompson selected the not very well known running back coming out of Hawaii, but Ted Thompson saw a running back that ran hard and was a really good receiver out of the backfield. Unfortunately, his rookie season failed to take offer with him being burried on the depth chart behind Ryan Grant and James Starks and then a torn ACL later on during the season. He is a former third round pick, but he'll need to prove he's healthy if he wants that #2 running back role.

Alex Green figures to be a relative lock for the position, which means it could ultimately be two players fighting for one position.

Brandon Saine

Advantages:
+ Receiving Skills
+ Pass Blocking

Brandon Saine came out of Ohio State largely underwhelming because he didn't develop into the feature back that the coaching staff thought he could be as a high school kid. That being said, his skillset is perfectly suited for the third down back role with the best pass blocking of the running backs last year, and strong receiving skills out of the backfield. He'll need to show more as a runner this preseason if he wants to keep his job, but I think he's got a good chance to make this team.

Marc Tyler

Advantages:
+ Natural Talent
+ Fighting For Roster Spot

Marc Tyler is easily the most talented of the backs competing for roster spots, but he's also the one that is most likely to not play up their talent level. Never really put it all together while at USC where he was in and out of trouble. He'll have to impress people at camp to win a roster spot since he doesn't add much value on special teams. He's not a burner, but he's a physical back that can help punish defenders.

Verdict: Alex Green and Brandon Saine
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think Mark Tyler has more natural talent than Alex Green. Green's got pretty much everything you look for in a bigger back except vision and ball security, and the hope is that those things can be taught.

Green, pre-injury, was three tenths of a second faster than Tyler in the 40 yard dash and the short shuttle, and Tyler is easily the slowest RB of the quartet gunning for three roster spots.

What exactly do you mean when you say Tyler is "talented"?

Personally, I think Green is assured a roster spot, while Saine gets the nod over Tyler since receiving and pass blocking is something we value more out of RBs than "running."
JustisM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Brandon Saine

Wait....
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure you can't throw James Starks in this mix. I think this may be an open competition for a starter. I'm ready to anoint Alex Green the starter with Saine and Starks behind him. Green fits the offense best.

Tyler doesn't make this team. Maybe the practice squad. Maybe.
.flash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really excited to see Alex Green. I'm expecting big things!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustisM wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Brandon Saine

Wait....

Macs putting in a play where saine throws the ball?!?!? He's making the roster for sure
Interceptions: 6
Forced Fumbles: 1
DROY candidate. Jersey acquired.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: