Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Carson Palmer info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Carson Palmer info Reply with quote

Slow off-season question.....Just curious. What do you guys think of Carson Palmer? Im looking for the good the bad the ugly type info or just your 2cents. You guys saw a lot of him during his Cinci years so I figured you would know best. Thanks in advance.

ps: you guys have my fav 2 active lbs.... Rey and Howard

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
RedGreenShow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just "meh" in my books. Ive never loved him or hated him per se. It seems as though he lost ALOT of his physical abilities (more specifically arm strength) after undergoing multiple surgeries, yet skill kept the same gunslinger mentality with a big arm. This resulted in tons of forced balls and interceptions. But beyond the physical part of the game, the mental is still above average. He is a real student of the game and can still make all the reads IMO. I was a big fan, but after awhile, the pick sixes get to yeah.
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's lost alot, is still an above average veteran starter, but will never be worth how much you guys gave for him. Sorry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ints are what bothers me the most.

has he ever been known to scramble?

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
theJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:

Not really. I always thought it was strange since he ran a 4.6 or something pretty fast in the pre-draft stuff. But he was always a statue in the pocket.

My opinion of Carson is that he still has enough physically and mentally to compete at a high level. But as each year goes by, it becomes more and more unlikely that he'll overcome the physical limitations that the elbow injury placed on him. His arm strength is still strong enough, but he doesn't (and never has) anticipated well enough to make tight throws with an above average arm. He needs that rocket.

I wish that he had had Tommy John surgery back in 2008 when he hurt it. Letting it repair naturally obviously did not work.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
the ints are what bothers me the most. has he ever been known to scramble?

Yeah; he scrambled for the door outta Cincy when it suited......

After the 2005 season, I thought Carson was going to lead us to a sustained period of success, but once Von Oelhofen rolled up on him he was never right.

Right now, I'm glad he's gone, and I'm lookin forward to him getting a rough reception @ PBS week 12 or whenever his homecoming is. Remember, this is the guy who said he never ever wanted to return to PBS. I've got no time for quitters like Palmer in this sport. You can't shout out your team mates for 100% no quit effort every play, and then quit yourself.

I hope the Raiders go 0-16 under Palmer, so we get their 33rd pick next year.
theJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, LB isn't bitter. Laughing

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
zacapr22

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most frustrating players to watch in recent memory.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did more scrambling in 2009 than he did in any other season. It wasn't much though, as he was just a little shy of 100 yards for that season. He did run for 3 touchdowns though.

It seems to me as though while his arm strength itself isn't far off from what it was (he can still throw the deep ball), his velocity is off. Combine that with him trying to force throws, and you'll get interceptions every game. His play is kind of like Brett Favre's, with the exception that Favre had more zip on his deep passes.

I think he's far better than any other option the Raiders have right now, and he should be good enough to start there for another 3-4 years maybe. I wouldn't consider him capable of reaching elite status, but he'll be in the top two-thirds of the league.
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:

The INTs can be bothersome. But there were two schools of thought on those. Some believed the INTs were a product of WRs ad libbing too much on routes, and that Bratkowski's offense became predictable. Some blamed it on Palmer. It was probably 50/50.

Before his knee injury in the 2005 playoff game he was mobile for a big guy. In 2009 it looked like that was coming back.

He is a good QB for the traditional Raiders offense. He throws a great deep ball. If his WRs are at the OTAs and he has lots of time to work with them to develop chemistry I think he could be a very good QB again.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's perfect for the Raiders drop-back sets, if the new OC allows that system to stay in place.

I am glad he's gone because Dalton, who may not have Carson's physical tools, is a much better fit for Grudens WCO. Dalton also fits the lockerroom better... as in vocal young leader with an up-and-coming offensive core. Why Palmer wouldn't want to play in that was beyond me.
futbudds

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the inside story, but carson was given the reigns(and all that cash) and he didn't turn into the leader that the team needed. I still have a soft spot for the guy having to deal with Mikey and chad and the injuries but getting the 33rd pick seems more likely than seeing him in the afc championship game so I will be rooting against him.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Don't worry, LB isn't bitter. :lol:

wot me guv ????

signed

Bitter & twisted of England
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
Why Palmer wouldn't want to play in that was beyond me.

Palmer is a SoCal beach bum.

My own everlasting memory of Palmer, was watching him from high up in the snow-flurries @ Mile High for the game tying TD Christmas Eve '06. I was so convinced we were going to win that one, but we botched the XP. Watching Palmer, he didn't seem to care too much; I kinda knew then his heart wasn't with that team.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the deal with Carson and Ints?

even with Oakland he throws passes into double and triple coverages and he is a seasoned vet.

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: