Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What's the consensus: Rugby League or Union?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which form of rugby do you enjoy the most?
League
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Union
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Other: Aussie Rules
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

footy_29

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: What's the consensus: Rugby League or Union? Reply with quote

I rarely venture to the depths of FF, choosing instead to remain in the comfortable lodging provided by the Redskins board, although I do try to poke my head around anywhere and everywhere (some innuendo). All that said, I have noticed in the past, and when I strolled through today, that there is talk of rugby league and not rugby union. I lived in Australia for a couple of years of my childhood and when I returned to Canada, I eventually joined rugby and still play now in the FRQ for the Indians. I play rugby union, so I watch rugby union, and I know only a few of my teammates enjoy watching rugby league.

When it comes to rugby league, the thoughts behind the game originally were two-fold: 1) the rugby union players went to the private schools and learned the skills and got the connections from there, therefore the rugby league was established for public school players 2) league offered the potential for a faster game by getting rid of the breakdowns and therefore more scoring. In my opinion, they failed to make the game faster because there is considerable leniency regarding holding down players once tackled, and therefore simulates a ruck/breakdown.

So, what I ask is this:
Which do you prefer watching: rugby league or rugby union? And why?
Do you find rugby union slower/rugby league faster?
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is quite a long history between the two sports. And in fact if you move closer to the present into the early-mid 80's and even into the late 80's Rugby League was a professional sport and Rugby Union was not.

I beleive professionalism in the sport of Rugby Union was driven by the NZRFU at ARU and the SARU who now form the basis of SANZAR. It was a way of keeping the best rugby players in rugby and not being pulled to league by the promise of being professional. This is still a problem at some of the youth levels of the sports, but that is almost a discussion for another time.

I watch both. I prefer to watch League. I find it much less "intensive" in terms of the watching. To not put too fine a point on it the Breakdown/Ruck laws are policed so differently that it is hard to get into a good place to view.

Most of the Rugby I watch these days is when NZ are playing or there is a good Super Rugby game on.

League I find to be easier to watch, faster, more changes of possession and I beleive would be far easier for the average American Football fan to pick up and watch and not be too confused about it.

Give me an All Blacks vs South Africa game vs a NSW vs Queensland game and I will find it tough to decide what to watch (I.E at the pinnacle both games are highly watchable and entertaining. However if I was given a choice between say Penrith vs Canberra and Highlanders vs Sharks I am watching the league 100% of the time.

Quote:
In my opinion, they failed to make the game faster because there is considerable leniency regarding holding down players once tackled, and therefore simulates a ruck/breakdown.

This in and of itself does not make the game faster, but the fact that their scrums are basically a restart with 6 men taken out of the play and they do not employ a lineout help to increase the pace of the game. As does the tackle count.

The biggest issue I, and many others, have with Rugby is that the ruck/breakdown laws are so difficult to understand, the difference in the application of the laws varies from referee to referee and differs amazingly from what is policed in the northern hemisphere as to what is policed in the southern hemisphere.

I cannot watch a game between England and France, or Wales and Scotland, the Northern Hemisphere international games are played in such a boring manner.

It is no coincidece that I beleive 3 of the final 4 teams in the Heineken Cup were coached by New Zealanders.

Also; Aussie Rules is not something I would call a derivative of "Rugby" it is more closely related to Gaelic Football.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
QuinneyluvsNFL

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

League all the way! Here in England there is pretty much a north-south divide when it comes to the split, Union in the South and League in the North. Most League fans I know and have met, hate Union and the pretty boys who play 'kick and clap', but I will watch both, but prefer League

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Union and it's not close for me. The ball skills and some of the running lines in League are fantastic but it's too one dimensional. Scrums, lineouts, breakdowns and vicious goal line defence just make it a better rounded sport. It's bigger in every country it's played except Australia and Union is growing. I view League as a training game really because it's a watered won game that I've often played in training when your focusing on defensive lines and ball skills. It probably doesn't help that playing hooker the set piece and breakdowns are the best part of the game in my mind and it just wouldn't be the same type of battle from a playing perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ew did you really add Aussie Rules?

QuinneyluvsNFL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:

aussie rules is awesome hush

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuinneyluvsNFL wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

It's possibly the most random sport ever invented.

QuinneyluvsNFL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
QuinneyluvsNFL wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

How is it random? Kinda like a much bigger version of basketball but you can kick Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuinneyluvsNFL wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
QuinneyluvsNFL wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

How is it random? Kinda like a much bigger version of basketball but you can kick Laughing

Its like basketball, with rugby, with football.

QuinneyluvsNFL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
QuinneyluvsNFL wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
QuinneyluvsNFL wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

uhuh, awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuinneyluvsNFL wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
QuinneyluvsNFL wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
QuinneyluvsNFL wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

uhuh, awesome!

In a giant circle pitch.

BathBengal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I watch Aussie rules when it's on ESPN I always think 'I have no idea what's going on but it's awesome' I should try and follow it next year. There are so many types of football it's crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BathBengal wrote:
Every time I watch Aussie rules when it's on ESPN I always think 'I have no idea what's going on but it's awesome' I should try and follow it next year. There are so many types of football it's crazy.

Why not start now!! About halfway through the season now, some really good games coming up, tomorrow morning at 10:50 there's a great game on you should watch if you can.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

League in a heartbeat. My favorite sport in the world. I grew up with Rugby, but it's just not the same to me. It may be more skillful, but that doesn't necessarily make it more exciting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rugby League, Far more enjoyable and exciting, not a fan of Union, never got into it.

League everytime.

Soccer Forums Most Underated Poster 2012 Award Winner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: