Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colts Trade Chris Gronkowski for Broncos' Cassius Vaughn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Colts Trade Chris Gronkowski for Broncos' Cassius Vaughn Reply with quote

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/broncos-trade-for-chris-gronkowski/

Not that big of a deal in terms of the players and their impacts but I'm hoping Vaughn will be able to work up to be a nickel guy. I'm not expecting much though it doesn't hurt to get more CB's to push our current guys.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Colts Trade Chris Gronkowski for Broncos' Cassius Vaughn Reply with quote

coltsmanic808 wrote:
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/broncos-trade-for-chris-gronkowski/

Not that big of a deal in terms of the players and their impacts but I'm hoping Vaughn will be able to work up to be a nickel guy. I'm not expecting much though it doesn't hurt to get more CB's to push our current guys.

Hes not much of a nickel-CB.

I actually liked Cassius Vaughn a lot, when he played. He filled in pretty nicely as a (UDFA) rookie, when Champ Bailey got hurt. Then last year he missed time because of injury. When he played though, he looked good. Fluid hips, plays the ball well, has good speed. His biggest issue was experience.

This is a fair trade if you ask me.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughn is a decent return man also. Seems like that he was tried in Denver at the slot defender position but was better on the outside.
I think both teams traded away someone the felt like they were going to have to cut sooner or later anyway.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just start off by saying I like the trade from the aspect of picking up a CB to compete for depth. I'm happy about that.

But let's look at this from another perspective.

only good blocking RB - Addai (gone)
blocking FBs - Felton (gone), Gronkowski (gone) Mahaffey (only one on the roster)
blocking TEs - Eldridge (gone) // Fleener only did a little blocking at Stanford, Allen is only slightly better then Fleener and who knows what Dominique Jones and Andre Smith bring.

If Arians wants to have a passing offense, who the heck is going to block for Luck. How are they supposed to utilize Avery in spreading the defense if there is no blocking to give him time.

Having gotten rid of all the blockers and picking up another KR type. It leads me to believe that the team will get big returns every time and have only short yardage for Luck.
Championship

#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughn can't play the Nickel. He isn't physical enough to do it. I don't think he diagnoses routes very well, but he is very young so you can't be too hard on him. He is an absolute burner (ran like a 4.30 before joining the NFL), and has experience returning kicks.

MUFC OK
ColtsFan40

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stallyns wrote:
Let me just start off by saying I like the trade from the aspect of picking up a CB to compete for depth. I'm happy about that.

But let's look at this from another perspective.

only good blocking RB - Addai (gone)
blocking FBs - Felton (gone), Gronkowski (gone) Mahaffey (only one on the roster)
blocking TEs - Eldridge (gone) // Fleener only did a little blocking at Stanford, Allen is only slightly better then Fleener and who knows what Dominique Jones and Andre Smith bring.

If Arians wants to have a passing offense, who the heck is going to block for Luck. How are they supposed to utilize Avery in spreading the defense if there is no blocking to give him time.

Having gotten rid of all the blockers and picking up another KR type. It leads me to believe that the team will get big returns every time and have only short yardage for Luck.
Championship

I think you are under estimating Mahaffey. I think he looked the best out of all 3 fullbacks. As for Andre Smith, everything I have read has blocking as his best attribute. I agree that we are going to miss Addia's blocking but frankly we have been missing it for the past few years because he can't stay on the field. I also think Allen is under rated as a blocker. Don't forget that our o-line has the potential to be a whole lot better.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB is a position of need for us, glad we acquired a new 1.
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColtsFan40 wrote:
I think you are under estimating Mahaffey. I think he looked the best out of all 3 fullbacks. As for Andre Smith, everything I have read has blocking as his best attribute. I agree that we are going to miss Addia's blocking but frankly we have been missing it for the past few years because he can't stay on the field. I also think Allen is under rated as a blocker. Don't forget that our o-line has the potential to be a whole lot better.

I disagree that the OL will be a whole lot better. Most of them haven't even played together yet.
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: