Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matthews: Giants didn't win the game the Packers lost it.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Matthews: Giants didn't win the game the Packers lost it. Reply with quote

I'm loving the complete lack of respect that the Giants are getting. I REALLY think it's giving them a HUGE chip on their shoulders. The Giants are a really talented team and giving them a huge reason to go out and play up to their potential is probably something teams should be avoiding for their own sake.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8247319/justin-tuck-new-york-giants-thanks-green-bay-packers-matthews-gift-playoff-victory

Quote:
Green Bay linebacker Clay Matthews says the New York Giants didn't beat his team, but rather the Packers beat themselves in their playoff meeting last year.

When told about that comment, defensive end Justin Tuck said he thanks Matthews for the gift.

"Thank you for giving us the game, Clay," Tuck deadpanned. "I appreciate it a lot."

Quote:
"When they fumbled the ball, I think it was us that stripped it out," Tuck explained of a key play during the playoff win at Green Bay. "We sacked them. I think it was us who beat their O-linemen and got to (Aaron) Rodgers. So I don't think they just Ole'd everything and gave us the game. I think they were trying to win."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to take anything away from the Giants, but Matthews is partially right. For a team that had just completed a 15-1 season, that was arguably their worst showing of the year by a pretty big margin. For a team that had a TO differential of +24 on the season and only committing 16 turnovers (whether it be via fumbles or interceptions), the Packers were uncharacteristically letting the ball be turned over. Those three have had a combined 11 fumbles in the past two years, so it was extremely odd to say the least that all three fumbled in one game.

But you have to applaud Eli Manning for willing his team to victory. With his play and the number of turnovers the Packers had, the Giants were the better team that day.
Acgott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not care, but I care enough to post that I do not care
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Not trying to take anything away from the Giants, but Matthews is partially right. For a team that had just completed a 15-1 season, that was arguably their worst showing of the year by a pretty big margin. For a team that had a TO differential of +24 on the season and only committing 16 turnovers (whether it be via fumbles or interceptions), the Packers were uncharacteristically letting the ball be turned over. Those three have had a combined 11 fumbles in the past two years, so it was extremely odd to say the least that all three fumbled in one game.

But you have to applaud Eli Manning for willing his team to victory. With his play and the number of turnovers the Packers had, the Giants were the better team that day.

So...the Giants didn't outplay the Packers the Packers players just made more mistakes and failed to make the Giants make mistakes. The Giants had little to do with causing the mistakes by the Packers and had little to do with preventing the Packers from forcing mistakes (or had little to do with executing well on their plays). Right.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Tuck on this one... Hopefully the Packers will be as kind to the Giants this year if we meet up in the playoffs.
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR0NM1KE wrote:
I'm with Tuck on this one... Hopefully the Packers will be as kind to the Giants this year if we meet up in the playoffs.

Same for the 49'ers and Patriots...it's big of them to just roll over when they play the Giants in the playoffs just so they can see the Giants get another ring.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of respect this team gets is really starting to tick me off. It seems like some people would rather have a team with a pretty regular season record than a team that wins when the stakes are highest.

Giants are gonna have a great year. And I'm a pretty pessimistic fan Laughing
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:

The Packers had their worst showing of the year because the Giants punched them in the mouth. The Giants even overcame some BS officiating to do it. They forced those fumbles and got pressure on Rodgers. The Packers didn't just let it happen.
dkebones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
The lack of respect this team gets is really starting to tick me off.

really? i'm actually getting off on it Laughing
LikesHAM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol The Packers won by three earlier in the season. It isn't as if that team was miles better than the Giants. They had a better regular season record. So what? Then they became the first ever one and done 15 win team. They were all offense and no defense. Personally I think the 2007 Patriots was a MUCH better team and we beat them too.

I guess the Giants don't really beat anybody, we just happen to catch them when they are beating themselves. I wonder how that works.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly what I didn't want to happen. Keep your damn mouth shut, even if you think you are better, you are not until you prove it on the field. We did win in New York... by 3... in the regular season, I bet you guys have all but forgotten about that. Did we play our best game against the Giants in the playoffs? No. But that would be... lets see... oh yeah OUR players fault. He should have kept his mouth shut and proved it on the field.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
Biggsam49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to our 2nd SB run:
Giants go one and done in the playoffs. Win one SB on a magical run as big underdogs. Lose in first round the following year as the 1 seed.

Conclusion: Giants were lucky to have one magical run. They arent a good team. When we lose its cause we don't belong on the field with the other team. When we win its because the other team just beat themselves. We're chokers.

Packers go one and done in the playoffs. Win one SB on a magical run as big underdogs. Lose in the first round the following year as the 1 seed.

Conclusion: Packers are the best team in the league. When they lose its cause they beat themselves. Nobody can out play them when they bring their A game.

Rolling Eyes
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Packers beat themselves? If the refs weren't blatantly in favor of the Packers, it would have been a 30 point beatdown. There was the Jennings no-fumble call that was obviously a fumble, which led to a Packers TD. Then there was the phantom roughing the passer call on Osi on 4th down, which led to another TD. The NFL actually said that the roughing the passer penalty was a ball call. There was even a 3rd down play where Ware looked to gain a first down but the refs made a terrible spot, giving Green Bay the ball. This game was a lot closer to being 37-6 than it was to being 37-34. Clay Matthews needs to go watch that game film again... I know the Packers had more mistakes than usual, ridiculous amount of drops and 4 fumbles, but the Giants defense deserves some credit for the fumbles forced too. The Packers were completely outplayed in this game, no matter how you look at it.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
This is exactly what I didn't want to happen. Keep your damn mouth shut, even if you think you are better, you are not until you prove it on the field. We did win in New York... by 3... in the regular season, I bet you guys have all but forgotten about that. Did we play our best game against the Giants in the playoffs? No. But that would be... lets see... oh yeah OUR players fault. He should have kept his mouth shut and proved it on the field.

You do remember how that regular season game unfolded, right? I have not forgotten about the regular season game at all. The Packers won because they had the ball last and Aaron Rodgers drove them right down the field. But that game could have been completely different too. There was the Jennings TD catch on his fingertips that Prince knocked away that really could have been called either way. That was as much as catch as it was a drop. But then there was also the Ballard catch in the endzone that wasn't ruled a TD when it clearly was. He got a knee down in the endzone, which is just as good as having two feet down. If only the refs had made a different call on either of these plays, the outcome could have very well been different.

I'm not saying the Giants should have won the regular season game, but it really could have gone either way. These two are very evenly matched teams who are built to compete against one another.

P.S. These last two comments make it seem like I have something against the NFL refs. I don't, they just happen to make a lot of bad calls when officiating Giants vs. Packers games Laughing
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

You do remember how that regular season game unfolded, right? I have not forgotten about the regular season game at all. The Packers won because they had the ball last and Aaron Rodgers drove them right down the field. But that game could have been completely different too. There was the Jennings TD catch on his fingertips that Prince knocked away that really could have been called either way. That was as much as catch as it was a drop. But then there was also the Ballard catch in the endzone that wasn't ruled a TD when it clearly was. He got a knee down in the endzone, which is just as good as having two feet down. If only the refs had made a different call on either of these plays, the outcome could have very well been different.

I'm not saying the Giants should have won the regular season game, but it really could have gone either way. These two are very evenly matched teams who are built to compete against one another.

P.S. These last two comments make it seem like I have something against the NFL refs. I don't, they just happen to make a lot of bad calls when officiating Giants vs. Packers games Laughing
Certianly true. Just that Clay would say something like this just kind of ticks me off. We aren't the Jets, we dont have to run our mouths. No excuses play like a champion. If he thinks that the Packers are better, maybe he should step up and lead the defense to better performance.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: