Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Camp News and Notes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duffman57

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanitizer wrote:
Poor guy. After 5 years she felt guilty? What about after the trial!!

I hope this guy gets a chance to play somewhere and has what it takes to make a living in the best career possible.

I read somewhere that Ingram is impressing and seems to be picking things up quickly which is great to hear.

Shareece Wright, is this guy ever going to be a regular?

Did something happen to Wright that i didn't hear about? Or are you just interested in seeing what people think about him?

But if the latter, i think he very well can be a great player, a very solid CB. He's got solid size, is incredibly quick and agile, breaks on balls really fast and is very physical. He can be a good starting CB in this league if he keeps working and stays healthy. He's a talented player. Right now i think he's going to be the Nickel guy, and a hopeful replacement for Jammer/Cason, but thats just me.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Stone85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Mathews had 1,100 rushing yards last year even with Tolbert stealing carries, yards, and TDs; RM missed two games; and he played through injuries.

So imagine what he's going to do this year!

Oh and here's an article on Jammer. Apparently he was going through a rough divorce last season (he has 3 kids) and he says that's what made him have his worst season, and he says this year will be his best season ever because "the team deserves it, and Norv Turner deserves it."

Link to article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82988c20/article/quentin-jammer-dogged-by-personal-issues-in-2011?module=HP11_headline_stack

I hope Vincent Brown gets a lot of opportunities this year. If he does really well, and Meachem does alright, we'll probably lose Floyd, unfortunately.

How do you think the stats are going to workout this year, receiver/tight end wise?

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
Incidental contact? His blind are you?

Last edited by Stone85 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
"San Diego sources" tell the National Football Post the Chargers plan to have No. 18 pick Melvin Ingram rush the passer from a "number of places."
Ingram is expected to see the majority of his snaps at outside linebacker, but the Chargers are reportedly planning to "move him around like South Carolina did." Ingram routinely lined up at defensive tackle on third downs in college. If Ingram isn't one of this season's top rookie pass rushers, it won't be because the Bolts didn't put him in position to succeed.

This is what I liked about him when I really started watching some film. He's not the typical DE to pass rushing OLB prospect, he'll be an OLB like Phillips. They won't be afraid to drop him into to coverage, move him around, and just tell him to go get the QB. I'm picturing sets that have Ingram, Phillips, and Barnes on the filed at the same time. Should scare QB's to look up and see 95, 98, 54 staring at them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
"San Diego sources" tell the National Football Post the Chargers plan to have No. 18 pick Melvin Ingram rush the passer from a "number of places."
Ingram is expected to see the majority of his snaps at outside linebacker, but the Chargers are reportedly planning to "move him around like South Carolina did." Ingram routinely lined up at defensive tackle on third downs in college. If Ingram isn't one of this season's top rookie pass rushers, it won't be because the Bolts didn't put him in position to succeed.

This is what I liked about him when I really started watching some film. He's not the typical DE to pass rushing OLB prospect, he'll be an OLB like Phillips. They won't be afraid to drop him into to coverage, move him around, and just tell him to go get the QB. I'm picturing sets that have Ingram, Phillips, and Barnes on the filed at the same time. Should scare QB's to look up and see 95, 98, 54 staring at them.

Unless Ingram is playing DT or stunting inside, a QB shouldn't be scared. He's nothing special pass rushing on the outside.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:

Unless Ingram is playing DT or stunting inside, a QB shouldn't be scared. He's nothing special pass rushing on the outside.

Yeah, but thats what he's saying, he's best when moving around, coming outside in to beat an OG, playing the Sugar ILB spot (basically ILB showing blitz early) and beating OG's there. He'll get a couple sacks vs. RT's off the edge, and should flash alright there, but moving him all over the field and mainly having him stunt inside is where he will do his damage, especially if we're rushing Barnes/Phillips outside of him when he's stunting in or whatever.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
sanitizer wrote:
Poor guy. After 5 years she felt guilty? What about after the trial!!

I hope this guy gets a chance to play somewhere and has what it takes to make a living in the best career possible.

I read somewhere that Ingram is impressing and seems to be picking things up quickly which is great to hear.

Shareece Wright, is this guy ever going to be a regular?

Did something happen to Wright that i didn't hear about? Or are you just interested in seeing what people think about him?

But if the latter, i think he very well can be a great player, a very solid CB. He's got solid size, is incredibly quick and agile, breaks on balls really fast and is very physical. He can be a good starting CB in this league if he keeps working and stays healthy. He's a talented player. Right now i think he's going to be the Nickel guy, and a hopeful replacement for Jammer/Cason, but thats just me.

My concern with Wright is that he seems a lot like Cason (except inverted), in that his skill set and strengths/weaknesses seem to gear him towards one specific scheme of coverage: Zone (versus strictly man for Cason). This is where I have a real difficulty projecting the futures of any of our young DB's until I see what proportions Pagano is throwing out in terms of coverage schemes in his play-calling. Even Gilchrist has a skill-set more geared towards zone than man, but he is versatile enough to have utility in both (though his ceiling is significantly lower in one than the other).

Now I realize that some predominantly man-coverage teams still deploy zone-coverage from time to time and vice versa, but the base unit (even if that's a base nickel) still has an identity. The thing is, and where both Manusky and even Rivera - prior to his genesis at mid-season in '09 - faltered was that we were giving a ton of zone-looks (waaaaay off-man starts) with man-calls... or worse that we'd be running zone-coverage without actually implementing a zone-blitz scheme (literally, with the 3-4 it's utterly pointless to implement zone-coverage if you're not going to use it as a means to send an additional/new/different pass-rusher from a position that would otherwise be eating a blocker, defending the backside/containment, or dropping into coverage).

My opinion on Wright might change depending on how much he's managed to bulk up this off-season, but even then... he was at his best at USC playing off his man and when he had a safety in the shallow zone and one in the deep zone both near him so that he could jump on balls in transition/anticipation because his reaction to hard cuts was lacking despite his physical attributes. he was a guy who wasn't going to get rocked for a big play unless he bit hard on a route and his man was left wide open, but do we really need to reflect back on how truly horrible that SC secondary was? I made a buttload of money just simply betting against SC to cover the spread that season and that secondary only failed me once or twice in that endeavor.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
According to SI's Peter King, the Chargers intend to "feed" Ryan Mathews "as much as any back in the league," and coach Norv Turner compares him to Ricky Williams.
Turner was Williams' offensive coordinator for two years in Miami, and Ricky led the league in carries both seasons (383, 392). "He's told me I remind him of Ricky Williams," Mathews said, "which is the kind of back I would like to be. In college [Fresno State] I was a workhorse back. I believe I can do that here." King suggested that Mathews could approach 400 touches in 2012.

This talk kind of scares me since he's had a lot of problems staying healthy. He should get more carries than before, but I doubt he can lead the league and not die.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll get more carries than Steven Jackson???? WHAT?

Seriously though, that does sound pretty odd. Give him whatever he needs to be given/what he can be given, not flat out the most in the NFL..

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
Stone85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
especially if we're rushing Barnes/Phillips outside of him when he's stunting in or whatever.

Yo I like the sound of that a lot.

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on Meachem?

I am hoping he plays well for you guys. With Lance Moore really coming into his own, Meach was forced into really seeing the field on more 4 WR sets. But he has shown flashes or greatness, and the kid obviously plays with heart. His speed and great body size and frame allows him to play a variety of different ways, but more often than not in our scheme it was deep routes. He didn't see much underneath or intermediate stuff.

Has there been any camp chatter about him yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9qhEZEN_6s

Just to show the kind of heart this kid plays with (a lot of you may have seen this already). Not a "catch", but a big play and one of my all time favorite Saints moments. Good luck this season, fellas! Very Happy

Robust Perry wrote:
They were the dirtiest organization in football

In reference to the Saints.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers coach Norv Turner expects WR Eddie Royal to handle some of the targets that went to running backs in 2011.
26 percent of the Chargers' pass attempts were directed at a tailback last season, which was the second-highest mark in the league (Saints). With Mike Tolbert gone, Turner expects Royal to take on "a lot" of those catches. "We haven't had that guy," said Turner. "Eddie's really been impressive as the guy who runs the option routes, runs the seams, runs the post -- some higher percentage stuff." Royal may see plenty of snaps in the slot, but with Mathews, Robert Meachem, Malcom Floyd, Vincent Brown, and Antonio Gates competing for targets, his fantasy upside is limited.

It will be nice to have somebody that can take it all the way from a short catch. I'm still scared that Mathews may be responsible for blocking longe enough to let that pass get off.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers waived S Nick Polk.
He's a former undrafted free agent with limited range and ball skills. The Bolts will move forward with Brandon Taylor and Atari Bigby at strong safety.

Nothing unexpected, or to be upset about.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, Eddie Royal "would be trending" if Chargers minicamp was open to the public.
Beat writer Michael Gehlken is presumably referring to Twitter. Per Gehlken, Royal has looked "sharp, explosive in and out of breaks," and "consistently gets separation." Royal has far more upside in the slot in San Diego than he did in Denver, but will have trouble making a fantasy impact with Robert Meachem, Malcom Floyd, Vincent Brown and Antonio Gates all in tow.

All these reports about the WR's are making the loss of VJ a lot less stressful. There's a ton of talent there.

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers LB Demorrio Williams is expected to see "sufficient snaps" at inside linebacker.
Per the Union-Tribune San Diego, Williams has "impressed" this offseason. It's unclear how many snaps would be "sufficient," but it's likely more than the 69 Williams saw for the Chiefs last season. Second-year pro Jonas Mouton will be a higher upside backup to Donald Butler and Takeo Spikes at inside linebacker.

Depth, at ILB? Been a long time since that happened. I still have hope that Mouton will be the one seeing significant snaps.

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers waived/left squad OT Taylor Dever.
An undrafted free agent out of Notre Dame, Dever was claimed off waivers from the Cowboys just last week, but has apparently decided to give up on football. He was facing long odds of cracking the Bolts' practice squad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update MrDrew... Man I cant wait till football gets back rolling. Going to need to schedule the Tuesday after our first game off, no way in heck I'll be able to watch it then get up at 3am eastern for work lol.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be curious to see how the Mouton situation plays out. Butler became a starter last year mostly out of necessity and was one of the breakout players of our defense. I'm not too familiar with Demorrio Williams (ex-Chief, correct?) but it is a relief that Mouton will have someone to compete against to get some playing time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: