Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Training Camp Battles: CB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Training Camp Battles: CB Reply with quote

Let's take a look at who may or may not make the cut this year at cornerback

Here's the players:
Leon Hall
Nate Clements
Dre Kirkpatrick
Jason Allen
Adam Jones
Terrence Newman
Shaun Prater
Brandon Ghee
Derrius Brooks

Locks: Leon Hall, Dre Kirkpatrick, Jason Allen

These three aren't going anywhere, except Leon Hall might be starting the year on PUP. Hall has proven to be our best corner when healthy. He is physical and intelligent. Kirkpatrick is obviously our 1st pick this year who could break into the starting lineup sooner than later. Allen signed a two year deal and has the versatility to move between corner and safety. Due to this, I assume we may go lighter at S this year.

Most likely: Adam Jones

Pacman knows the system and is pretty solid in spot duty. He is cheap, and can also contribute on special teams.

Should make it... But: Nate Clements, Shaun Prater

Even though Clements is due to earn close to 5.5 M this year, he is a leader in that secondary. He doesn't have the elite skills anymore but he could be a decent nickel corner. Prater is a 4 year starter for the Hawkeyes and should contribute immediately on ST.

Goodbye: Terrence Newman, Brandon Ghee

Newman could make it if he switches to S, but I doubt he impresses at camp. Ghee hasn't been able to stay healthy, and his time in Cincy is nearing it's end.

Practice Squad: Derrius Brooks

Will keep him around and see what happens

So we keep 6 corners, but only 5 will be active to start the year

Hall (PUP)
Clements
Kirkpatrick
Allen
Jones
Prater

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'd switch Clements and Allen. Or leave Clements where he is, and put Allen in the same category. I just do not see how Allen is a lock. Short deal with little to no money. It's going to come down to which veteran performs the best, and then the team will try to go young for special teams.

Hall
Clements
Kirkpatrick
Jones (for returns)
Prater (solid ST'er)
Newman/Allen/Ghee

Maybe both Newman and Allen make it if Hall goes on the PUP. Then someone gets cut or put on IR when Hall comes back.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd expect Hall on the PUP. If Prater isn't contributing by the time he comes off, he is gone. Otherwise, I'd guess it is between Jones and Newman.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll either keep 5 DTs and 5 CBs or 4 DTs and 6 CBs, along with 4 DEs, 7 LBs, and 4 safeties. For Hall to start the regular season on PUP, he couldn't practice or play in presason. I don't think that is likely if his rehab continues on pace. He says he wants to be full go by start of training camp and is on pace so far.

I think we'll go with the 5 DTs with Sims making it and therefore 5 CBs, namely Hall, Clements, Allen, Kirkpatrick, and Jones. If Clements struggles, he could be cut. Since the Bengals usually play a LCB, RCB tandem rather than following the receivers around, I'm concerned about Nate. He can't run with Torrey Smith or Mike Wallace or Antonio Brown. Basically he becomes useless vs our main division opponents.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it more like
1. Hall (or on PUP)

2. Clements (he has lost a step but still uses physical play against all those fast receievrs mentioned in the post above)

3. Kirkpatrick

4. A Jones nickel CB and punt returner

5. Allen Solid backup and can play safety in a pinch

6. Ghee same as Allen... allows us to go light at safety

PS Prater (may start the year on roster and revert when hall returns and noone else is injured enough to create a roster spot
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The players: Leon Hall, Dre Kirkpatrick, Nate Clements, Jason Allen, Adam Jones, Terrence Newman, Brandon Ghee, Derrius Brooks

The question then is do we keep 5 CB or 6 CB, which also ties into how many safties we keep. Allen can back up at S as well, but they may not want them too. I didn't list Prater because I am believing the rumor that he is being looked at as a FS. I think we'll keep 5 CB and 5 S, so I think it looks like this:

LCB: Leon Hall, Jason Allen, Adam Jones
FS: Reggie Nelson, One of Shaun Prater/George Iloka traning camp battle
SS: Taylor Mays, Robert Sands, Jeromy Miles (ST stud)
RCB: Dre Kirkpatrick, Nate Clements

Practice Squad:
One of Prater/Iloka
Ghee if he quualifies, Brooks if he doesn't

Cut:
Terrence Newman
One of Ghee/Brooks

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
theJ

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
The players: Leon Hall, Dre Kirkpatrick, Nate Clements, Jason Allen, Adam Jones, Terrence Newman, Brandon Ghee, Derrius Brooks

The question then is do we keep 5 CB or 6 CB, which also ties into how many safties we keep. Allen can back up at S as well, but they may not want them too. I didn't list Prater because I am believing the rumor that he is being looked at as a FS. I think we'll keep 5 CB and 5 S, so I think it looks like this:

Practice Squad:
One of Prater/Iloka

Cut:
Terrence Newman
One of Ghee/Brooks

I could see Prater making the transition pretty easily. From what they were saying on ESPN after the pick, he played a lot of quarters coverage. Looked like he was a good ballhawk. Those two things are qualities the Bengals look for in safeties.

If Prater and Iloka both look good, i wouldn't be surprised if Sands or Miles job were in jeopardy. Miles has value on ST's, so i'd give him the edge. But i don't think Sands has done anything to warrant an automatic roster spot.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:

Practice Squad:
One of Prater/Iloka

Cut:
Terrence Newman
One of Ghee/Brooks

I could see Prater making the transition pretty easily. From what they were saying on ESPN after the pick, he played a lot of quarters coverage. Looked like he was a good ballhawk. Those two things are qualities the Bengals look for in safeties.

If Prater and Iloka both look good, i wouldn't be surprised if Sands or Miles job were in jeopardy. Miles has value on ST's, so i'd give him the edge. But i don't think Sands has done anything to warrant an automatic roster spot.

Agreed on Sands, but I do think with a year in the system he will be given a little edge. He will have to be outplayed by both Iloka and Prater, with him winning any stalemates. Miles I think is almost a lock.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Hokie

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if Newman is cut. Marv loves the guy.
cowboyscowboys

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Terence" (that's how you spell it) Newman is going to play way above most people's expectations in camp. I doubt he gets cut I see Nate $$$ Clements getting cut or moved instead. The last couple years he had been tremendous during camp and early in the year. (last year he got hurt in camp but impressed enough that we didn't break the bank for Nnamdi). It's been when he gets nicked up mid year when his seasons have gone to ****.
St.Louis Blues
Golden St. Warriors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: