Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Players to Watch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bagh

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Players to Watch Reply with quote

So training camps are almost upon us. Every year I think us fans have one or two guys who might be considered lynch pins. These are guys whose performance can make or break our team, guys who if they realize thier potential can push the team to the next level, or guys who you just think need to do something to prove they aren't total garbage.

These are mine:

Veteran

Justin Tuck: He seems to be hurt a lot lately. He had set his goals on a dynasty, but I will be watching the offseason workouts to make sure he hasn't lost a step due to the repeated injuries. He's a lynch pin without a doubt. With JPP opposite him, I think we would have the best book end DEs in the game.

Young Player

Tyler Sash: Last year we signed Grant at the last minute. This made me think that the Giants may have had high hopes for Sash and they brought back Grant to mentor him. I haven't been too impressed to tell you the truth. I still thinks he needs time, but if the light turns on, I think we have a great Jack Safety.

Rookie

David Wilson: We always pride ourselves on our ability to draft impact players, but if you look over recent draft history, we have only had luck with 1st rounders. Most of the time, it has been all downhill from there. Our last second or third rounder to blow up was Tuck but that was I believe 8 years ago. We have to get better at developing these guys, but with that being said, I have high hopes for Wilson.

Who are you going to be focused on?
dkebones

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linebacking group- lots of young guys in there; somebody needs to separate themselves (Herz, Paysinger, Jones)

O-line: please give Petrus a chance at playing every week...
LikesHAM

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious to see which WRs will step to make up for the loss of Manningham.
bagh

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
Linebacking group- lots of young guys in there; somebody needs to separate themselves (Herz, Paysinger, Jones)

I was reading an article, can't remember which publication, but it suggested that with the addition of Rivers, the young kids in the middle may be vulnerable. We may try him there just to see. It also stated that herz is the likely candidate to get cut as he has made a lot of mistakes in the field last year and Jones has contributed more on special teams.

dkebones wrote:

O-line: please give Petrus a chance at playing every week...

This I agree with wholeheartedly. I think you will see Diehl play RT and Petrus at G. Give them time in training camp to gel and they may do well. I think with a healthy Snee and Young Petrus we may be able to get more of a push in the interior to help a guy like Wilson out.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Trattou. He will take over Tollefson's job and perform very, very well. Excited to see him play this year.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
njLawman5016

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me disagree with impact players outside of 1st round.

We drafted Thomas and Smith in second round. Although gone, Smith was vital while here. Thomas was on way to great things

Pivotal Players:
Vet: M Bennett. Not our vet, but a vet something to prove. Does he bring back our exceptional running game and add even more to passing game?

Youger Guy:
Marvin Austin. Can take our good DTs to Execptional with great play

Rookie:
Randle. Opportunity is there to excel from begining. Teams will focus on Nicks/Cruz.
BassistofDoom

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young guys I'm watching:
Mitch Petrus - Mitch Petrus may be my biggest mancrush on the Giants right now. He is an absolute mauler on the line (I saw him pushing BJ Raji back 5-7 yards against GB) and I believe he could be a top 10 guard easily after a few years.

Jacquian Williams - We have a future star on our hands in Williams. He seems to play kinda like Boley but with more potential and I believe we could have a starter at WLB for many years to come in this guy.

Tyler Sash - Another gem from the 6th round of the 2011 draft. I'm not sure if he'll be a starting free safety at any point in his career but he seems to be able to play as a safety in a 4-2-5 much like Deon Grant and he definitely has a lot of talent.

Greg Jones, Mark Herzlich, and Spencer Paysinger
- I like these guys because I think considering they were all late round/undrafted rookies who stepped in with no offseason to play, they didn't do horribly. If any of them had to get cut, my vote would be for Paysinger but I hope the Giants hold onto all of them at least late into training camp to see if they've improved. I like to think of them as that bumbling band of lovable idiots that appear in so many movies and shows.
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized how much unproven talent we have. Yikes! Ha

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
Gmen

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veteran : David Baas. Was paid a pretty penny to come in here and solidify the interior after the loss of O'hara and Seubert. He had an injury plagued season last year. Hopefully this year he proves he's worth the money.

Young Player : Marvin Austin. Two years out of football, but he's expected to be our 3rd DT in place of Bernard. The physical ability is all there, hopefully he hasn't forgotten how the game is played.

Rookie : David Wilson is the only correct answer here. Our running game was last in the league. He was drafted in the first round to fix that. All eyes should be on him.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
LikesHAM

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:

Rookie : David Wilson is the only correct answer here. Our running game was last in the league. He was drafted in the first round to fix that. All eyes should be on him.

Since our running game was ranked last anyway, will there really be alot of pressure on Wilson? I mean it can't be too much worse than what we had last year could it?
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikesHAM wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Since our running game was ranked last anyway, will there really be alot of pressure on Wilson? I mean it can't be too much worse than what we had last year could it?

In a new York media, they'll treat it like it is unfort. But you're right. Nothing to go but up

bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bennett, baas and rivers

Williams, Jernigan/randle, sash, Austin

Sintim, Barden

jacobsrules

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN no particular order. Brewer, Randle, Mcants, Austin, Rivers, and Hixon.

A real LB Giant Pride
Thanks Shockey 1979
bagh

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

njLawman5016 wrote:
Let me disagree with impact players outside of 1st round.

We drafted Thomas and Smith in second round. Although gone, Smith was vital while here. Thomas was on way to great things

In both cases, if you think about it, you are basing your argument around one year of production. Whereas with Tuck, you have repeated seasons of near all-pro production. Hence, why I don't consider them in the same argument.

On top of that, I don't think TT is all that good. He is effective in Zone and can react well, but is targetted often as he isn't that great on man. I think his stats reflect that. I mean back in 2010 I think he had like 100 tackles. How often does a Corner get a chance to make that many tackles?

I also have to disagree with folks who think Randle will automatically fill in for Manningham and Nicks. Coughlin's penchant for sitting rookies will hinder him.
Gmen

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagh wrote:
I also have to disagree with folks who think Randle will automatically fill in for Manningham and Nicks. Coughlin's penchant for sitting rookies will hinder him.

This is such a common misconception among Giants fans. In 2009 Hakeem Nicks tied with Percy Harvin for most receiving yards among rookies. Jason Pierre Paul saw time from day 1 despite being considered extremely raw. Jacquian Williams was second in the league in tackles among rookies. It's not like we're red shirting every rookie that comes in. If you're ready and can contribute, you will be on the field. Coughlin has said that he expects the early round rookies to contribute immediately. But if you're not ready, there is no sense in throwing somebody onto the field and hurting the team. It's just that we as fans get impatient and think that playing rookies will solve all of our problems.

Randle and Wilson will have a fair shot at playing time with Manningham and Jacobs gone. It will be up to them to impress the coaches and earn the playing time though. If they're not on the field, it's not because of Coughlin, it's because they aren't ready.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: