Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rams sign TE Brody Eldridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Rams sign TE Brody Eldridge Reply with quote

Quote:
Howard Balzer ‏@HBalzer721

Rams awarded TE Brody Eldridge on waivers from Colts. Jets also put in claim. He played 13 games, started eight last season.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva

New #Rams TE Brody Eldridge is purely a blocker. Played guard and center at Oklahoma. All-Big 12 pick at fullback as redshirt soph.

Eldridge was a guy I really liked in the 2010 draft. He's a GREAT blocking TE. Don't be surprised if he beats out Mulligan. I thought he'd be a good role player in the late rounds. I won't be a bit surprised if he makes it as our 3rd TE.

Eldridge also could play FB for us. At Oklahoma, he was mainly a blocking TE but did play some FB, Center and Guard for them when needed.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this signing
RamRod

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He played at Oklahoma with Bradford too.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A much better blocker than Mulligan. Not gonna lie, I thought Mulligan was Ben Hartsock when we first signed him, who's a really good blocker. After researching Mulligan a bit, he's a bit above average, but that's it.

I really expect Eldridge to be the blocking TE. Kinda shocked the Colts let him go given the situation of that offensive line.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAD

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
A much better blocker than Mulligan. Not gonna lie, I thought Mulligan was Ben Hartsock when we first signed him, who's a really good blocker. After researching Mulligan a bit, he's a bit above average, but that's it.

I really expect Eldridge to be the blocking TE. Kinda shocked the Colts let him go given the situation of that offensive line.

Mulligan is not good. He is one of those guys who, because he is a blocking tight end, everyone assumes is a "good blocking tight end' because most casual fans don't know good blocking from bad blocking unless it is an extremely boneheaded play. Which Mulligan provided plenty of, with untimely penalties and failed chips.

I like Eldridge. Thought he would be a good UDFA/7th round pickup that year but then he got taken in the 5th. I think he can be the #3 guy.

Scary to think he could end up being the #2 as Hoomanawanuii will surely get injured again. I like Eldridge, but I can't believe people didn't think we needed to draft a tight end when we have Kendricks as #1, a guy who is injured more than DX as #2, and waiver fodder/vet minimum free agents as the #3. I understand Schotty rarely utilizes multiple tight ends as receivers, but he does use the TE1 as the primary checkdown; more than RB's. If Kendricks goes down then we are screwed at that position.

Bjoern Werner Tunes Up for Senior Season
Halradio

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact was the Rams had more holes than draft picks and/or cap space to fill them all and TE happened to be one of the positions that would "have to make do" for this year.
Ray

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,m willing to give a flyer on Kendricks, because of the lockout, and that so called offensive cordinator Mcdaniels, i belive he will lock down the no1# TE spot with the new coaches and more time to learn the offense.
JAD

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:
The fact was the Rams had more holes than draft picks and/or cap space to fill them all and TE happened to be one of the positions that would "have to make do" for this year.

An understandable notion, especially in such a paper thin tight end class. I was quite disappointed in passing up Fleener at #33. I understand we needed a valuable outside receiver, but I think Fleener was a better prospect than Quick and will have a better career as well. Though I understand the FO not wanting to give up on Kendricks yet and the fact the Schotty views the TE depth chart as:
TE1
TE2/OT5
TE3/OT6

This was especially apparently the last few years in NY when Schotty had his receiving TE in Keller and then a pool of extra blockers.

Still, I would take Fleener 100 times out of 100 against Kendricks, and I think Fleener was a top 25 prospect. The only other TE's I really wanted to check out were LaDarius Green and Taylor Thompson as receivers. I think Evan Rodriguez will be a player too. Deangelo Peterson and Brad Herman were two late round/UDFA guys I thought had upside, happy we got one of them.

I don't think we can pass on a TE this year though, especially with such a great looking class (not exactly top heavy, but lots of talent throughout).
Tyler Eifert
Joseph Fauria
Jake Stoneburner (!!!)
Michael Williams
Zach Ertz
Dion Sims
Kyler Reed

CalifornianRam

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot about Hoo. he seemed promising till a cardinal went low and blew out his knee. he was beating the D if remember too then his injury killed our drive lol
green24

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAD wrote:
chris00cm wrote:

Mulligan is not good. He is one of those guys who, because he is a blocking tight end, everyone assumes is a "good blocking tight end' because most casual fans don't know good blocking from bad blocking unless it is an extremely boneheaded play. Which Mulligan provided plenty of, with untimely penalties and failed chips.

I like Eldridge. Thought he would be a good UDFA/7th round pickup that year but then he got taken in the 5th. I think he can be the #3 guy.

Scary to think he could end up being the #2 as Hoomanawanuii will surely get injured again. I like Eldridge, but I can't believe people didn't think we needed to draft a tight end when we have Kendricks as #1, a guy who is injured more than DX as #2, and waiver fodder/vet minimum free agents as the #3. I understand Schotty rarely utilizes multiple tight ends as receivers, but he does use the TE1 as the primary checkdown; more than RB's. If Kendricks goes down then we are screwed at that position.

If Eldridge is even average for you guys he deserves to make your team over Mulligan. Mulligan was maybe the most frustrating player on the Jets last season. He is not a very good blocker and had the highest penalties-per-snaps ratio of any TE in the NFL last year. Mad

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
Pisa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Eldridge is a great pickup. He fills a huge need for a blocking TE. He should be the starter with Kendricks and willl help protect Bradford and open holes for Jackson. Maybe Hoomanawanui is best as a backup. From what I remember Eldridge doesn't have bad hands but is very slow and has no moves.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalifornianRam wrote:
i forgot about Hoo. he seemed promising till a cardinal went low and blew out his knee. he was beating the D if remember too then his injury killed our drive lol

Hoo, when healthy, is pretty great. He's an excellent blocker and a receiver capable of breaking off 15 to 20 yard gains with a great feeling for how to get open.

The issue is that Hoo can never stay healthy. I wish he could because he could be a really good NFL TE.

Hopefully with Kendricks and Eldridge or another TE, we can keep Hoo's snaps at minimum which will allow him to stay healthy.

jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAD wrote:
Halradio wrote:

An understandable notion, especially in such a paper thin tight end class. I was quite disappointed in passing up Fleener at #33. I understand we needed a valuable outside receiver, but I think Fleener was a better prospect than Quick and will have a better career as well. Though I understand the FO not wanting to give up on Kendricks yet and the fact the Schotty views the TE depth chart as:
TE1
TE2/OT5
TE3/OT6

This was especially apparently the last few years in NY when Schotty had his receiving TE in Keller and then a pool of extra blockers.

Still, I would take Fleener 100 times out of 100 against Kendricks, and I think Fleener was a top 25 prospect. The only other TE's I really wanted to check out were LaDarius Green and Taylor Thompson as receivers. I think Evan Rodriguez will be a player too. Deangelo Peterson and Brad Herman were two late round/UDFA guys I thought had upside, happy we got one of them.

I don't think we can pass on a TE this year though, especially with such a great looking class (not exactly top heavy, but lots of talent throughout).
Tyler Eifert
Joseph Fauria
Jake Stoneburner (!!!)
Michael Williams
Zach Ertz
Dion Sims
Kyler Reed

You forgot Gavin Escobar and Levine Toilolo...each of whom you could argue is the 2nd best TE in this class. Razz

But yes, it is a very good class.

JAD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
JAD wrote:
Halradio wrote:

TE1
TE2/OT5
TE3/OT6

Tyler Eifert
Joseph Fauria
Jake Stoneburner (!!!)
Michael Williams
Zach Ertz
Dion Sims
Kyler Reed

You forgot Gavin Escobar and Levine Toilolo...each of whom you could argue is the 2nd best TE in this class. Razz

But yes, it is a very good class.

Both are beasts. I think Escobar is going to be special in the league. Absolute star.

Don't expect either to come out though Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: