Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How bad was the 2009 draft?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boondock

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: How bad was the 2009 draft? Reply with quote

Got to thinking about horrible draft years and realized that the 2009 draft for the Panthers might have been the worst ever for the franchise.

Let's think about it.

1. Traded a future 1st for Everette Brown, who was cut after 2 years and is now a journeyman around the league.

2. Drafted Sherrod Martin, who many considered a reach, who is a below average player for us. Does have his moments though.

3. Corey Irvin is no longer on the team, barely in the NFL.

4. Mike Goodson, showed flashed, but a fumbling problem made him moveable and was traded for a project tackle.

5. Tony Fiametta, also showed flashes, but for some reason couldn't cut it. Seems to be doing well for the Cowboys though.

6. Duke Robinson was lazy and out of shape, couldn't ever get into shape. Out of the league now.

7. Captain Munnerlyn is probably the best pick and exceeded expectations for him, however, he is at best a rotational DB for us.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodson and Munnerlyn turned into pretty serviceable players, even here. Fiametta is playing some good ball, but for somebody else. Overall, pretty terrible draft. The best pick that came out of it was a 7th round CB and really he should be confined to being the 3rd CB at best and is only playing more than that out of necessity. That's not good. Pretty depressing to think about really. I don't wanna talk about it anymore. Sad

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
bhughes

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, kind of amazing that our GM still has a job in one of the most demanding professions, after not being able to draft 1 high caliber starter in an entire draft class.

Did we get Stewart that year before taking Edwards? If so I guess that was one starter they were able to take. So basically they know how to find a starter in the first round, but rounds 2 through 7 are just a crap shoot. Seems like you have a better chance just using the draft rankings you find on ESPN or NFL.com, probably have the same chance of hitting on a player in those rounds vs our record.
tbrown2699

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like fret said, "I really don't want to talk about it anymore", but... That season did ultimately lead to Cam Newton so... I believe all things happen for a reason and I am hoping and believing this draft produces starters in rounds 2 and 4a-4b. Everything after that is all potential. But I hear ya, that draft was crap!
Cypher

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhughes wrote:
Yeah, kind of amazing that our GM still has a job in one of the most demanding professions, after not being able to draft 1 high caliber starter in an entire draft class.

Up until 2010 it was pretty common knowledge Hurney and Fox were about 50/50 on draft decisions. I did a study a year or so ago on GMs, and scored every pick made since 2002 on a scale based on player performance since entering the league. To cut an exceptionally long story short, what I found is that Hurney easily ranked in the top 10-14 GMs in the league. GMs roughly average a 50% "success" rate. The good GMs being higher, the bad GMs being lower, around the 40-46% ballpark. Hurney was above 50%, somewhere around 56% if I recall correctly. I think fans tend to get a "grass is greener" mentality when they see other teams draft, and instantly think "Their GM is so good!" But the reality is, aside from a few clubs like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, etc, most teams simply don't hit on more than about 40% of their picks. Even New England has been extremely lackluster the past few years on draft day. If it isn't an offensive lineman or tight end, they haven't been very good.

Basically, people hate on Hurney for a few very poor selections, but if you look at our roster and all the key players, many of them top 10-20 at their positions, Hurney has brought them to us, and they weren't all first round "gimmes".

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
bhughes wrote:
Up until 2010 it was pretty common knowledge Hurney and Fox were about 50/50 on draft decisions. I did a study a year or so ago on GMs, and scored every pick made since 2002 on a scale based on player performance since entering the league. To cut an exceptionally long story short, what I found is that Hurney easily ranked in the top 10-14 GMs in the league. GMs roughly average a 50% "success" rate. The good GMs being higher, the bad GMs being lower, around the 40-46% ballpark. Hurney was above 50%, somewhere around 56% if I recall correctly. I think fans tend to get a "grass is greener" mentality when they see other teams draft, and instantly think "Their GM is so good!" But the reality is, aside from a few clubs like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, etc, most teams simply don't hit on more than about 40% of their picks. Even New England has been extremely lackluster the past few years on draft day. If it isn't an offensive lineman or tight end, they haven't been very good.

Basically, people hate on Hurney for a few very poor selections, but if you look at our roster and all the key players, many of them top 10-20 at their positions, Hurney has brought them to us, and they weren't all first round "gimmes".
Excellent post! I agree whole-heartedly.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: