You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CW21's Movie Review Thread (Ghosts of Girlfriends Past)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: CW21's Movie Review Thread (Ghosts of Girlfriends Past) Reply with quote

Had one of these awhile ago, but it never got off the ground due to time restraints. It's summer time, so it's time to try it again.

Scoring System
97-100: One of the Best Movies I've seen
90-96.9: A Great Movie
80-89.9: Well Above-Average Movie
70-79.9: Pretty Good Movie, Probably Won't Watch Again
60-69.9: Struggled To Make It Through
0.1-59.9: Stopped Watching It Part of the Way
0.0: This Movie Deserves To Be Burned and the Director shot

#
---------

A
---------

B
---------
Battleship [Berg; 2012] - 65/100
The Boondock Saints [Duffy; 1999] - 90/100

C
---------

D
---------

E
---------

F
---------

G
---------
Ghosts of Girlfriends Past - 85/100

H
---------

I
---------

J
---------

K
---------

L
---------

M
---------

N
---------

O
---------

P
---------

Q
---------

R
---------

S
---------

T
---------

U
---------

V
---------

W
---------

Y
---------

Z
---------

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...

Last edited by CWood21 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:27 am; edited 3 times in total
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boondock Saints [Duffy, 1999]

On a personal reference from a friend, I borrowed this movie from him a few months ago, but just got around to watching it a few days ago. Needless to say, his track record for movie suggestions have been far from great choices, but The Boondock Saints was an absolutely amazing movie. Sean Patrick Flannery and Norman Reedus were excellent picks as Connor and Murphy respectively. William Defoe, Special Agent Paul Smecker, was extremely creepy in this movie, but again was a very good choice. The rest of the actors did a great job as well. A really great job all around.

The Saints, played by Sean Patrick Flanery (Connor MacManus) and Norman Reedus (Murphy MacManus), pose as two Irish Catholic Twins, who after being confrontted in one of their bars by a couple of mafioso end up killing them a few days later realizing an epiphany to rid the streets of the evil and corruption. Connor and Murphy are found bickering throughout the movie with each other like most brothers do, but are there for each other when the job is needed. As they planned their next vigilante murders, their buddy David Della Rocco, played by David Della Rocco, added comedic value that helped break the tension of the movie. Throughout the movie, Connor and Norman found and killed many mafioso to help clean up the street and with a single shot to the back of the heads, the bullets crossed paths and exited out the eyes. After shooting the last victim, they put pennies over the eyes to pay the toll to cross the River Styx. All the while, an FBI Agent by the name of Paul Smecker is called into find the killer, but as the movie progresses he has a battle with his conscious as to whether The Saints are actually doing the right thing. After a while, he decides that he wants to support them and helps them infiltrate one of the most notorious mafia killing all but the head of the family, Giuseppe "Papa Joe" Yakavetta. In response, Papa Joe calls Il Duce, who unbeknownst to both Connor and Murphy is actually their father. After finding the last mafia member in the Yakavetta house, The Saints begin their mily prayer before executing the last person when Il Duce walks in and a standoff occurs before Il Duce finishes the prayer up, thus confirming that he is Connor and Murphy's father. The movie ends with Special Agent Smecker helping The Saints and Il Duce infiltrate the Court Room where Papa Joe Yakavetta is being tried and is likely to be acquitted of all charges. The Saints quickly move into the court room and move everyone to the back of the court room bringing Papa Joe to the center of the court room and put him down on the knees. After putting him down on his knees, The Saints proceed to explain their actions and say their family prayer before executing him in front of all those in the court room to help spread the word. The movie ends with the public reflecting on the question "Are the Saints ultimately good...or evil?"

"And shepherds we shall be,
for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

Grade: 90/100

PackFan4Life wrote:

bkobow05 wrote:

Last edited by CWood21 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battleship [Berg, 2012]

Given that I was bored, I headed over to the local movie theater and for some reason I decided to watch Battleship. Needless to say, if you liked Transformers you'll like Battleship. But if you hated Transformers, you're better off not wasting your money to go watch Battleship. A lot of similarities aside from the directing from the Transformers movies like the intense effects along with the extreme mechanical creations. Definitely not one of the better movies Peter Berg has directed, and sort of was too much of a mix between War of The Worlds/Alien Takeover and Transformers combined which really turned me off.

In 2005, NASA discovers a faraway planet that shares similar characteristics to Earth and they send a high powered beam to send signals to this new world in hopes of communication. Slack off Alex Hopper played by Taylor Kitsch attempts to impress a girl by breaking into a local convenient store for a chicken burrito. His older brother Stone Hopper, played by Alexander Skarsgård, as a result has his younger brother enlist in the Navy. A few years later as the worlds' nations are competing in the RIMPAC naval exercises in the Pacific Ocean. While in the middle of exercises, alien spaceships enter the earth's atmosphere at alarming rates with four of the five ships crashing into the Pacific Ocean while the fifth hit an orbiting satellite and crashing in Hong Kong. The alien ships set up a barrier keeping everyone outside of the barried out, but Alex Hopper and a few of the ships are on the inside the barrier. As one of the Japanese ships is destroyed, one of the American ships rescue the survivors. One of the survivors is Captain Nagata who is played by Tadanobu Asano who suggests they use buoy readings to figure out where the alien ships are. They essentially play a game with battleships to kill teh alien ships. Liam Neeson, Rihanna, and Brooklyn Decker are all prominent characters in this movie.

Grade: 65/100

PackFan4Life wrote:

bkobow05 wrote:
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boondock Saints is a beastly movie you got it about right with a 90. Just to let you know The Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day is a good movie but no where near the first in the terms of awesomeness.

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PantherDE90 wrote:
The Boondock Saints is a beastly movie you got it about right with a 90. Just to let you know The Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day is a good movie but no where near the first in the terms of awesomeness.

I've seen it. It's pretty good, but I completely agree about it not being as good as the original. In fact, most sequels tend to pale in comparison to their original ones. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'd probably give it a 75 as the rating.

PackFan4Life wrote:

bkobow05 wrote:
CWood21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past [Waters, 2009]

You can question my manhood all you want, but this is easily one of my favorite movies. Matthew McConaughey is probably my favorite male actor and no shortage of cute girls in this movie. While being in a sense of a romance movie (which is a good one if you have a girlfriend or wife), it's also a great comedy movie. Not just your run of the mill sappy romance movie that most guys don't want to see.

Connor Mead, played by Matthew McConaughey, is a photographer and notorious womanizer. He takes some time off to attend his little brother's wedding where he intents to sleep with the bridesmaids. During the rehearsal dinner, Connor sees his first love Jenny Perotti, played by Jennifer Garner, at the wedding. During the dress rehearsal, Connor gets drunk and starts to talk about how love isn't real. He ends up in the bathroom where he is visited by his dead father's ghost telling him he's going to be visited by three ghosts who will show him his romantic past, present, and future. Later that night, Allison Vandermeersh, played by Emma Stone, visits Connor as Ghost of Girlfriends Past where she focuses on his relationship with Jenny. Connor's father teaches him the ways of being a womanizer and as Connor and Jenny are about to make a breakthrough relationship wise he hesitates and ends up having sex with Allison. Several years later, Jenny and Connor try things again but Jenny forces Connor to pursue her multiple times to make sure his ways have changed. After Connor gets afraid, he ends up leaving Jenny one night. He wakes up and leaves his room but unfortunately destroys the wedding cake and unsuccessfully reconciling with Jenny. As he storms out of the house, he is confronted by Melanie, who is played by Noureen DeWulf, who is the Girlfriend of Girlfriends Present. She shows him that his little brother, played by Breckin Meyer, stands up for Connor and think that he can change for the better. After letting it slip out he slept with one of the bridesmaid early on in a previous relationship, Olga Maliouk appears as Ghost of Girlfriends Future who shows him that he'll grow up without people to love him. He awakes from his sleep and runs downstairs to find that the wedding has been called off, and gets in a car from the garage to chase after the brides to get them to come back.

Grade: 85/100

PackFan4Life wrote:

bkobow05 wrote:

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: