Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brees' thoughts on the whole contract situation
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lombardi Gras

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Brees' thoughts on the whole contract situation Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/brees-critical-saints-radio-interview-035803148--nfl.html;_ylt=AvIIlxzBGNC8dOeS3QuRsMtDubYF

Quote:
''It's been extremely frustrating for me. I don't think the negotiations should have been this difficult,'' Brees said on WWL radio in New Orleans. ''What's been a little frustrating on my end, or disappointing, is the lack of communication. We've reached out on quite a few occasions and at times I know I've been frustrated with the lack of response.''

I see his point in regards to him playing through the contract he agreed to in which he was underpaid for his value, however, I feel like he has still been a bit unreasonable in these negotiations.

FSP
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well according to Brees, the numbers that have been thrown around by the media are inflated. Since I don't know how inflated they are, I don't know who to side with.

I just want them to get it done and move on.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAY DA MAN!
thesolution

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

97.5 to 100 million over 5 years should be good enough.

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking if the FO can make it work, something like 99M/5 yr with 60M of it guaranteed. And, 2M for each SB they win with him at the helm.

^NS922 on the sig^
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm Benson, I give Brees a 60M signing bonus and a 6 year deal. Not only would it give us some incredible cap flexibility the first 2-3 years of the deal (seriously the first year his salary against the cap would be something around 10-11M), it would give Brees most of his money upfront. 60% of his money(given it's a 100M deal) for dotting his i's and crossing his t's.

Now weather Benson is willing to give a signing bonus of that much is the question. I doubt it, but it's an option that would in my opinion would work for both parties.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
thesolution

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
I'm thinking if the FO can make it work, something like 99M/5 yr with 60M of it guaranteed. And, 2M for each SB they win with him at the helm.

It's not that if the front office can make it work or not, it's about what is Brees looking for in return. Seem to me as if he's trying to make up for lost years..

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the problem is that the Saints have limited cap space for THIS SEASON...and Brees wants a front loaded contract. The Saints likely have about 17 million to spend on Brees THIS SEASON. There is no doubt in my mind that the Saints know Brees' value...it is around 5 years/$100 million. But if you do the math...Brees could be asking for more than $20 million this season. That is something that the Saints just don't have the salary cap to do. I think that is why Loomis is not speaking with Brees. He has likely put an offer on the table for Brees...around $17 million this year (as part of a 5 year/ $100 million contract)...and Brees is demanding more this season...and the Saints can't do it.
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/drew-brees-overestimating-his-worth-in-battle-with-new-orleans-saints-052412

Quote:
And donít forget that during his involvement with the unionís negotiations with the owners last year at this time, Brees fought hard ó to no avail ó to rid the league of the franchise tag on unrestricted free agents. That in itself proves he has more loyalty to his personal bottom line than to the fine citizens of New Orleans.

I never forgot that.

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 28 Tkls 2 PD 1 SCK
Ben Watson 9 Rec 64 Yds
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/drew-brees-overestimating-his-worth-in-battle-with-new-orleans-saints-052412

Quote:
And donít forget that during his involvement with the unionís negotiations with the owners last year at this time, Brees fought hard ó to no avail ó to rid the league of the franchise tag on unrestricted free agents. That in itself proves he has more loyalty to his personal bottom line than to the fine citizens of New Orleans.

I never forgot that.

Brees is arguably one of the top 4 QBs in the NFL. But. this article brings up an interesting question... would Brees flourish if he was not a Saint? Something to ponder I guess.

I've said 'pay the man' and I stand by that. I just think that over 19.5M/yr is too much.

Dear Mr. Brees: Don't let personal agendas or your agents' agenda take you away from something great. Compromise and win a few more SBs as a Saint. Then take your rightful place in the HoF.

Sincerely,
jcvoodoo

^NS922 on the sig^
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
Brees is arguably one of the top 4 QBs in the NFL. But. this article brings up an interesting question... would Brees flourish if he was not a Saint? Something to ponder I guess.

Did he flourish in San Diego? No. He was just a hair above average. Sean Payton saw him and said he has the tools to succeed in my scheme. Not to take anything away from Brees, but the fact of the matter is we HAVE seen Brees outside of the Saints. And he was an average to above average type QB. He came to the Saints with the same skill set and is now an elite QB.

Yes, he more than deserves to be paid. No, not more than Tom Brady or Manning. I think a dime over 5 years/$100 million is over paying. I'd like to believe he and his family might be able to survive on a meager $100 million. Although it is a recession, I am asking a lot of him.

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 28 Tkls 2 PD 1 SCK
Ben Watson 9 Rec 64 Yds
bhughes

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a panthers fan, I think they should trade him to the Cardinals or something and draft Matt Barkley after going 2-14 this season.

As far as Brees' success, of course him and the scheme go hand and hand, but that's just good coaching along with a good player. The same argument has been made about Brady being that Cassel was able to come in and get 11 wins, but also look at how good Matt Flynn looked coming in for Aaron Rogers.

I think all that's a matter of the right type of QBs in the right schemes.

I find it hard to believe they haven't giving him what he wants by now given that they don't have their head coach this year. That makes having Brees during this offseason THAT much more important. How good can this team possibly be this season with no head coach, no interim coach for 6 weeks, and who knows how long without a QB? If they are able to make the playoffs this year, then what the heck do head coaches even do on NFL teams?
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you want to see Brees traded lol. Your a rival fan and support your team and I totally respect that. You would like Brees out of the NFC South so Carolina has somewhat of a chance to make the playoffs. Am I right or no where close??

No, seriously I think the Panthers are a pretty good team in a tough division. They are making strides in the right direction and I wish them well this season.

Now, I think people underestimate Chase Daniel in this scheme. But, I guess that's a different discussion.

@ NSF, right on man. Brees should be more than ok with 100M tops. More is overpaying.

^NS922 on the sig^
thesolution

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
Of course you want to see Brees traded lol. Your a rival fan and support your team and I totally respect that. You would like Brees out of the NFC South so Carolina has somewhat of a chance to make the playoffs. Am I right or no where close??

No, seriously I think the Panthers are a pretty good team in a tough division. They are making strides in the right direction and I wish them well this season.

Now, I think people underestimate Chase Daniel in this scheme. But, I guess that's a different discussion.

@ NSF, right on man. Brees should be more than ok with 100M tops. More is overpaying.

Now, I also have been saying that for quit awhile. I even been telling people that at work. All they do is laugh and say I'm tripping. In all honesty I would really consider Calais Campbell and Patrick Peterson for Drew if what he's asking for don't come down.

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
Raves

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesolution wrote:
jcvoodoo wrote:

Now, I also have been saying that for quit awhile. I even been telling people that at work. All they do is laugh and say I'm tripping. In all honesty I would really consider Calais Campbell and Patrick Peterson for Drew if what he's asking for don't come down.

Who was the first guy to mention trading Drew Brees and then looking to draft a stud like Matt Barkley next year? C'mon let's be honest here...

<----This Guy

That being said it would require a very big trade for me to trade him and I do agree that Chase Daniels is underrated, but he's not going to be the type of QB that gets us to the Super Bowl. I see him like a Jeff Garcia at Tampa. Right fit for the right team at the right time to give you success and hope, but not to get you to the promise land.

Now if you give me a deal like what the 'skins gave to St. Louis for RGIII I'll send Drew Brees packing right now. 2 Firsts and a good player and I'm sold.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: