Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Derrick Mason wants to retire a Raven

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drd23

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Derrick Mason wants to retire a Raven Reply with quote

Quote:
Derrick Mason ‏ @deemason85
Ppl I said I would love to retire a raven but ultimately it's up to Baltimore...

http://twitter.com/deemason85/statuses/200990003441041408

Quote:
Mason reached out to Ravens team officials to express his desire, and Baltimore is listening. Mason first has to officially retire by filing his paperwork with the league office.

“Derrick has not only been a favorite of ours at the Ravens, but he’s clearly one of the most popular players to our fans in our history,” said Ravens Senior Vice President of Public and Community Relations Kevin Byrne. “It’s so flattering that he wants to retire as a Raven.”

“Tennessee gave me an opportunity – and I will always be grateful for that – to actually live out one of my dreams and play this game and play at a high level,” Mason told The Baltimore Sun.

“But once I got to Baltimore, that’s when I really started to grow as a player, that’s when I really started to understand what this game was about, why I was playing it. That’s why I want to retire as a Raven, because I had some great, great memories there and I met a lot of great people. That’s my football family.”

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2012/05/11/derrick-mason-wants-to-retire-a-raven/

I think it'd be great to sign him to a 1 day contract and let him retire here if that is what he wants. He was a great player for us and a leader for the offense both on and off the field

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!

Last edited by drd23 on Sat May 12, 2012 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have him retire a Raven. He's the best receiver we've ever had in my opinion and was an absolute warrior on the field. I'll always remember that game against the Cowboys with the injured arm, and the big catch he had in our win against number 1 seed Tennessee in the playoffs.
DreamKid

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered which team experience he valued more, but more in sense of if he got a HOF nod which team would he choose. Usually it's the team that drafted the player, but I guess he really thinks of himself as a Raven at heart. Flacco and Mason's comeback route connection was one of the best, and god did we spam it.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have to say to this;

Yes.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really appreciate if this happened. I really wanted us to win a Championship for him. Mason took a chance on our franchise as a legit receiver before anyone else was willing to give us a chance. Before him we were an offensive wasteland and it didn't look like things would ever improve. He gave us a reliable offensive threat that we could consistently utilize, a threat that consistently made our offensive competitive. He devoured opponents with his superb route running skills and like has been mentioned, his comeback route connection with Flacco was a thing of trolling legends!

Derrick Mason is definitely one of my favorite Ravens of all time. He may have been a little hot-headed towards the latter part of his career, but I'd attribute that to the urgency he felt to win a championship... he was incredibly deserving and I just wish we could've gotten him the championship ring that he deserved.

This sign/retire needs to happen.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreamKid wrote:
I always wondered which team experience he valued more, but more in sense of if he got a HOF nod which team would he choose. Usually it's the team that drafted the player, but I guess he really thinks of himself as a Raven at heart. Flacco and Mason's comeback route connection was one of the best, and god did we spam it.

Did we ever. And I'm still one of the one's who miss it the most. I was really hoping we signed him back when he got cut by the Planes last year. Derrick Mason should be in the Ring of Honor without question.

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensfanRD wrote:
DreamKid wrote:

Did we ever. And I'm still one of the one's who miss it the most. I was really hoping we signed him back when he got cut by the Planes last year. Derrick Mason should be in the Ring of Honor without question.

I'm in the same boat, I loved that comeback route. It was deadly. I really thought Mason still had some juice left when we cut him and I didn't understand why we didn't bring him back, but whatever the past is the past.

I hope they let him retire a Raven.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
kmvoss

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already mentioned, I will never forget his one-armed performance vs. the Texans. I remember Deion Sanders calling it heroic. While that may be hyperbolic, his heart can't be understated.
drd23

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it might be happening

Quote:
Media Advisory - Ravens Monday Press Conference

The Baltimore Ravens will hold a 3 p.m. press conference featuring general manager/executive vice president Ozzie Newsome, head coach John Harbaugh and former WR Derrick Mason on Monday, June 11, at the Under Armour Performance Center.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: