Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

J. Tucker Must NOT Die?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: J. Tucker Must NOT Die? Reply with quote

This guy clearly needs to impress and win the kicking job. He, simply put, is our only hope.

Rewind. For those of you who are thinking "WTFreak" about the topic title, you've likely never heard of the movie "John Tucker Must Die" OR you likely haven't been properly introduced to the Ravens UDFA Rookie Kicker... Justin Tucker. His claim to fame? Booting a 55 yard field goal in practice earning "oooohs" and "aaaahs" from his fellow rookie campriots (new word: think compatriots).

I've been on record multiple times saying there was no "sure thing" kicker in this class like I saw from Alex Henery last year... but Justin Tucker was a guy that wasn't exactly on my radar. And I have to say his stats were impressive enough.

In 2011, he completed 81.1% of his kicks. In 2010 he completed 85.2% of his kicks.

The thing that I liked to look at with kickers is to make sure they are accurate up close. From 20-29 range, Tucker has never missed... which is good, because those are freebies and he SHOULD be making them. I'm a little dissapointed that from 30-39 range, Tucker only converted on 77% of his career kicks. I want consistenct in those kicks more than anything else IMO. Missing a kick in that range is a momentum killer. Tucker had about 82% kicking accuracy from 40-50 range... that's where I'd want it. Obsiously no kicker is perfect and if we get that kind of production from that range, we're good. With 50+ kicks, Tucker has connected 50% of the time with a long of 52 yards.

I'm not sure if Tucker has a weapon of a leg, but what we need most is someone that has the inner conficence to get the job done when we can count on them. I don't trust Cundiff and he's proven he can't do it. Justin Tucker is an incredibly interesting option... and I hope he can find more and more ways to live throughout this competition. Justin Tucker is our only hope... he must live, and prevail!

EDIT: And for those of you who are still, deep down, depressed about our final game against the Patriots and you would like to experience delusions of grandeur, imagine that we have a time machine and are traveling back to that fateful game against the Patriots. It's January 22, 2012. Lee Evans gets the ball knocked out- CRAP! Billy Cundiff is no longer on the team. In his stead? Justin Tucker... doing this. Overtime, Ed Reed interception, laterall to Lardarius Webb... he runs it to the 43 yard line. Flacco lobs a deep ball pass to Torrey Smith deep for a touchdown on the first play from us in the overtime period. We're going to the Super Bowl! We WON! WE WON!!!! Crying or Very sad

Last edited by diamondbull424 on Tue May 15, 2012 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
B-More_2011

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this gu wins the job, Cundiff is lucky to still be on the team at this point, and it wouldn't hurt to get a younger option at Kicker while still matcha the same production that Cundiff had a couple years ago, if not better. I like his leg, he should win us sme games if he makes the team.
Where are the Chiefs at #11?

Nobody cares about the Chiefs.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I would like to see this guy win the job, especially after that video of him being clutch, I just don't see it at this point.

Yeah, he made a 55-yarder. One kick? That's what we're basing this hype off of? Meh, I'm not sold.

Give him a couple weeks of tryouts and let him beat out Cundiff for the job. Until then, I just want the best kicker available to be on our roster; I don't care if it's Cundiff, Tucker, or any other FA kicker.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
B-More_2011

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
As much as I would like to see this guy win the job, especially after that video of him being clutch, I just don't see it at this point.

Yeah, he made a 55-yarder. One kick? That's what we're basing this hype off of? Meh, I'm not sold.

Give him a couple weeks of tryouts and let him beat out Cundiff for the job. Until then, I just want the best kicker available to be on our roster; I don't care if it's Cundiff, Tucker, or any other FA kicker.

Well, considering Cundiff was awful from 50+ yards last year, that 55 yarded that Tucker made cold really mean a lot, especially if he's as good from shorter range as his scouting report says. I think it's gong to be a very interesting pre season battle between these two.

SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-More_2011 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Well, considering Cundiff was awful from 50+ yards last year, that 55 yarded that Tucker made cold really mean a lot, especially if he's as good from shorter range as his scouting report says. I think it's gong to be a very interesting pre season battle between these two.

I'm sure Cundiff could make ONE 55 yard kick.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
B-More_2011

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
B-More_2011 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Could he? Yeah, sure. Can he do it in a game with the pressure on him and guys rushing him? His 1/7 record from 50+ shows otherwise. A little competition is never a problem. Remember before 2010 when he had to win the kicking job for the season. He went on to have a historic season that year and made the pro bowl and all-pro. Last yea he didn't have that problem and he played terrible. Even if Cindiff wins the job at least we'll know ts because the better kicker won, and hopefully it will motivate him again to work harder and have another great season.

SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-More_2011 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
B-More_2011 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Could he? Yeah, sure. Can he do it in a game with the pressure on him and guys rushing him? His 1/7 record from 50+ shows otherwise. A little competition is never a problem. Remember before 2010 when he had to win the kicking job for the season. He went on to have a historic season that year and made the pro bowl and all-pro. Last yea he didn't have that problem and he played terrible. Even if Cindiff wins the job at least we'll know ts because the better kicker won, and hopefully it will motivate him again to work harder and have another great season.

Ohhh I must have forgotten the part in the article where it says Tucker hit his 55 yarder in a game this past weekend. Where have I been, and why wasn't this game televised?! Can someone at least post a recap of the action?! How did Flacco do?

BlaqOptic wrote:
HokieRaven5

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt he also miss a 60 yarder a bit wide. Had enough distance on it i heard.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
B-More_2011 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
B-More_2011 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Ohhh I must have forgotten the part in the article where it says Tucker hit his 55 yarder in a game this past weekend. Where have I been, and why wasn't this game televised?! Can someone at least post a recap of the action?! How did Flacco do?

The point is that there's no reason to dub Cundiff our kicker right now, what's wrong with bringing this kid in and letting us see what he's got? Obviously he has something, a 55 yard kick isn't as easy as you're making it out to be.... and if he can be as accurate that he was in college, than ill take the over a touchback anyway.

And Flacco threw for 500 yards 12 TD no interceptions and also ran for 100 yards and 3 TD... In Cam's offense, with Michael Oher at LT, and Tandon Doss and LaQuan Williams as the WRs...

Yeah, stop being such a smartass dude, you're getting worse.

SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol you're acting like this guy did something spectacular when in reality he didn't do anything except make ONE kick apparently...

I said I have no problems with him coming in and BEATING OUT Cundiff for the job.

Stop being so ignorant.

BlaqOptic wrote:
B-More_2011

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Lol you're acting like this guy did something spectacular when in reality he didn't do anything except make ONE kick apparently...

I said I have no problems with him coming in and BEATING OUT Cundiff for the job.

Stop being so ignorant.

Ignorant? Lol, so I'm ignorant for realizing the guy has a leg for kicking a 55 yarder? I know because everyone can do that right? I never said he was a better kicker than Cundiff, just that he deserves a shot.

If anything, you're the ignorant one for failing to point out my ignorance.

STrid

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to go with SnA right here. Sure, there is nothing wrong with some competition at the spot, but the guy has done nothing so far that warrants this kind of optimism. He kicked a 55 yarder? Last year, or the year before that, we were all raving about how well Cundiff was doing in practice, but as we all know it's a lot easier to hit FG's when there is no pressure on. Until the guy actually makes a meaningful kick I'm very much going to doubt him.

^Et billede siger mere end tusind ord!
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STrid wrote:
I've got to go with SnA right here. Sure, there is nothing wrong with some competition at the spot, but the guy has done nothing so far that warrants this kind of optimism. He kicked a 55 yarder? Last year, or the year before that, we were all raving about how well Cundiff was doing in practice, but as we all know it's a lot easier to hit FG's when there is no pressure on. Until the guy actually makes a meaningful kick I'm very much going to doubt him.

Exactly.

If this guy comes in to camp and just blows everyone away with his accuracy and leg and actually beats out Cundiff then yeah this kind of optimism is warranted..

Making ONE 55 yard kick during Rookie mini camp? Please.

BlaqOptic wrote:
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
STrid wrote:

Exactly.

If this guy comes in to camp and just blows everyone away with his accuracy and leg and actually beats out Cundiff then yeah this kind of optimism is warranted..

One might say the same about one punt return against the Redskins' rookie free agents late in a preseason game, but you felt that was enough to make Laquan Williams the primary punt/kick returner.

I'm not feeling the consistency.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
STrid wrote:

Exactly.

One might say the same about one punt return against the Redskins' rookie free agents late in a preseason game, but you felt that was enough to make Laquan Williams the primary punt/kick returner.

I'm not feeling the consistency.

The difference was that after that kick return, which happened in a GAME, he never even got another chance...That was the last we saw of LaQuan returning punts for us, and even when we had injuries and were putting Zbikowski and Ed Reed back there, LaQuan was sitting on the sidelines...

There's a difference between what I'm saying here and what I was trying to say with LaQuan Williams returning punts for us.

BlaqOptic wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: