Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 French Open (Tennis)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins the Men's Final?
Novak Djokovic
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Rafael Nadal
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

texans_uk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
I understand the complaint, They really need roofs there, please don't let this go til tomorrow

Roofs are gay.

You Americans put everything in domes.

1. Roofs, being inanimate objects, are incapable of sexual orientation. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were using that form of the word rather than the childish pejorative. Rolling Eyes

2. It's not an "American" thing to put tennis under a roof. It's a practical and intelligent thing. You're aware that tennis can't be played in the rain, right? And that rain delays cost the tournaments lots of money, disrupt the continuity of the matches, and cause a lack of attendance...right?

Wow.

It's an American thing to build domes. Don't like putting outdoor sports indoors, hence the "gay" comment.

I don't like tennis played in doors, I remember reading an Andy Murray interview when he described playing at Wimbledon under the roof and how different the whole game became. And how he didn't like the new conditions.

-Hope-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
It's an American thing to build domes. Don't like putting outdoor sports indoors, hence the "gay" comment.

Great. And when I don't like something I'm just going to start calling it British. Because there's an obvious correlation between being British and being bad.

By the way, the US Open is the only other Grand Slam that doesn't have a retractable roof. I guess we're pretty un-American.

Quote:
I don't like tennis played in doors, I remember reading an Andy Murray interview when he described playing at Wimbledon under the roof and how different the whole game became. And how he didn't like the new conditions.

Obviously. As a tennis player I can unequivocally tell you that outdoor tennis and indoor tennis are honestly almost like two different sports. The strategy, the speed of the game, everything changes.

However, you failed to refute any of the points I made. Frankly, this isn't about the players. This is about the fans and it's about the tournament administrators, both of whom it would behoove to have a retractable roof to prevent weather delays. Which is why one is scheduled to be built at Roland Garros by 2017.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

Great. And when I don't like something I'm just going to start calling it British. Because there's an obvious correlation between being British and being bad.

Astrodome, Superdome, Silverdome, Metrodome, RCA Dome, Georgia Dome etc. etc.

-Hope-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

Mother of God. Everything I type is going over your head. I give up. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
seminoles1 wrote:
This is honestly perfect for Nadal. Djokovic had turned it on over the last 10 games and was threatening to really snatch the match away. Now they can start fresh tomorrow and that favors Nadal.
How did the first set go? It ended 6-4 but what were the breaks like??

Djokovic will be on serve up 2-1. If he comes out and holds, he'll be up 3-1, so he'll have some breathing room.
Nadal went up 3-0, Djokovic got back to even, then Nadal put him away. It was up and down but Nadal was clearly the better player. Same with the 2nd set.

No doubt Djokovic is still looking good for the 4th set, but he was in the zone. Nadal looked to finally stop the sinking and Djokovic seemed to maybe fall off with a couple unforced error in the last game, but Djokovic had taken total control. Nadal needs this to refocus, get some coaching from Uncle Toni, and start fresh tomorrow. Even if Djokovic gets his game back twice as fast as he did today, it will be too late. He'll need to be right back in the zone to finish the comeback tomorrow while Nadal will simply need to keep doing what he's been doing his entire career to finish this.

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift-Steve Prefontaine

The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.
-Hope-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seminoles1 wrote:
x0x wrote:
seminoles1 wrote:
This is honestly perfect for Nadal. Djokovic had turned it on over the last 10 games and was threatening to really snatch the match away. Now they can start fresh tomorrow and that favors Nadal.
How did the first set go? It ended 6-4 but what were the breaks like??

Djokovic will be on serve up 2-1. If he comes out and holds, he'll be up 3-1, so he'll have some breathing room.
Nadal went up 3-0, Djokovic got back to even, then Nadal put him away. It was up and down but Nadal was clearly the better player. Same with the 2nd set.

No doubt Djokovic is still looking good for the 4th set, but he was in the zone. Nadal looked to finally stop the sinking and Djokovic seemed to maybe fall off with a couple unforced error in the last game, but Djokovic had taken total control. Nadal needs this to refocus, get some coaching from Uncle Toni, and start fresh tomorrow. Even if Djokovic gets his game back twice as fast as he did today, it will be too late. He'll need to be right back in the zone to finish the comeback tomorrow while Nadal will simply need to keep doing what he's been doing his entire career to finish this.

I think Nadal can definitely right the ship but the mental block I was talking about definitely came into play in the 3rd and beginning of the 4th sets. There's not a single player on tour who is able to mentally affect Nadal's game like Djokovic can. It's the exact same thing we saw at the Aussie Open. Nadal's shots start falling short, he fails to put away points...it's crazy to watch because it literally does not happen against ANYBODY else.

The rain delay was a blessing for him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

Hmm. I don't like Domes, Americans invented domed stadiums... I don't understand how you are missing this.

seminoles1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
I think Nadal can definitely right the ship but the mental block I was talking about definitely came into play in the 3rd and beginning of the 4th sets. There's not a single player on tour who is able to mentally affect Nadal's game like Djokovic can. It's the exact same thing we saw at the Aussie Open. Nadal's shots start falling short, he fails to put away points...it's crazy to watch because it literally does not happen against ANYBODY else.

A lot of that had to do with the weather. The rain slows the court down and Nadal's topspin isn't nearly as effective. It gives Djokovic more time to figure out what he wants to do and to line his shots up. It showed even in the individual sets. Nadal would control the set, and when it started to rain, Djokovic made his comebacks. Then it would stop and Nadal would finish the set off. But when the constant rain starting coming down in the 3rd, Nadal just couldn't handle it and Djokovic took advantage.

x0x

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seminoles1 wrote:
-Hope- wrote:

A lot of that had to do with the weather. The rain slows the court down and Nadal's topspin isn't nearly as effective. It gives Djokovic more time to figure out what he wants to do and to line his shots up. It showed even in the individual sets. Nadal would control the set, and when it started to rain, Djokovic made his comebacks. Then it would stop and Nadal would finish the set off. But when the constant rain starting coming down in the 3rd, Nadal just couldn't handle it and Djokovic took advantage.

Very true. I haven't played many matches on clay, but I can tell you that wet clay in effect makes the clay court "game" meaningless. Players will continue to play behind the baseline out of nature, but coming up to the net will become more plausible.

Surely though, it seems Djokovic has the stronger mental and physical edge when a match goes into the 5th. Will be intriguing to see how this plays out. I truly hope we don't get Nadal coming out and winning the 4th at 6-2. How d you think Nadal would take the 4th set if he does?
-Hope-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

Hmm. I don't like Domes, Americans invented domed stadiums... I don't understand how you are missing this.

I understand that completely. That wasn't what I was addressing in the material you quoted though. Laughing

@seminoles, that's a good point. I've always felt that the top players tend to exaggerate weather complaints, but then, when you play at such a high level you must be pretty sensitive to all of the finer nuances of the game. That and I've only played on clay a couple of times and it was always dry.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
How d you think Nadal would take the 4th set if he does?
An immediate break, just like he did when he won the first 2 sets and how he started the 3rd. A break on your first service game is demoralizing. He just needs to start tomorrow with a break like he had been today and he'll be fine. I don't expect Djokovic to serve as poorly as he was for the majority of today, though, so that will be harder to do.

texans_uk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

I understand that completely. That wasn't what I was addressing in the material you quoted though. Laughing

What are you talking about?

I understand the negative impacts weather can have on games such as tennis, hell I live less than 2 hours from Wimbledon, doesn't change the fact I hate domed stadiums. Which has been my point all along.

x0x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like seminoles called it right.

Then again, Djokovic is most primal when down match point. Wink
x0x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh nice, 3-3.

We got a game folks!
x0x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I don't know......I've now seen 4-5 of Nadal's shots that looked long to me....that weren't called long...would like to see hawkeye on some of those.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: