Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans NT Earl Mitchell has bulked up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texans_uk

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Texans NT Earl Mitchell has bulked up Reply with quote

via Houston Texans

Quote:
RT @NickScurfield: #Texans NT @EarlMitchell92 has bulked up to a lean 308 pounds. He played at 287 last season

Interesting he has put 20lbs on, I wonder how this will affect his speed. And if he may push Cody out of the lineup now.

Blaze

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20lbs should help him if he can carry it well. Im thinking he will lose alot of it from now until the first regular season game. We know how hot it gets here.

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
kenney

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any weight we can add in the middle is welcome. I'm still hoping there's a spot on the roster for Fangupo.

I think both Cody and Mitchell were legitimately concerned about a NT being drafted this year. I remember reading some tweets from Cody about how he was alarmed that people wanted the Texans to draft a NT.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he can keep his speed at this weight I would be very happy.

Quote:
And if he may push Cody out of the lineup now.

It could happy, but I really like the nose tackle comittee with him and Mitchell.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Texans NT Earl Mitchell has bulked up Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
via Houston Texans

Quote:
RT @NickScurfield: #Texans NT @EarlMitchell92 has bulked up to a lean 308 pounds. He played at 287 last season

Interesting he has put 20lbs on, I wonder how this will affect his speed. And if he may push Cody out of the lineup now.

...waiting for the Apollo Stallion "he's on PEDs!" post. Laughing

Honestly, putting on 20lbs of muscle isn't easy, let alone in an offseason that started "later" than we're accustomed to. I am very interested to see how he did it. In essence, our season ended mid-January. That's about five months...so, about 4 lbs of muscle a month.

Wondering if there is some flab in there, or I need to read up on how he got there (the "lean" part tells me it isn't 20 lbs of flab). I remember Kubiak going on about how Mitchell was "gonna steal someone's lunch money," when he was a rook, a nod to his work ethic and dedication, IMO. Maybe he's let it loose in the workout facility, along with some Muscle Milk, NO-Xplode and the rest of the BSN line of workout products...

Given our history of having players popped for PEDs, I'm sure everything that Mitchell has taken to get to this point has been vetted by our training staff and given a green light prior to usage.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
jch1911

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per rotoworld

Quote:
Mitchell has been even bigger than this before, weighing in at 315 at the 2010 Combine. So it's not completely new. At 6-foot-2, 308, Mitchell at least looks more like an NFL nose tackle. He rotated with Shaun Cody last year, coming in off the bench, and figures to emerge as a starter in his third pro season.

If that's true, Earl had a 1.56 10 yard split at the combine at 315 lbs. Shocked

My question would be "why lose the weight down to 287 in the first place?"
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Per rotoworld

Quote:
Mitchell has been even bigger than this before, weighing in at 315 at the 2010 Combine. So it's not completely new. At 6-foot-2, 308, Mitchell at least looks more like an NFL nose tackle. He rotated with Shaun Cody last year, coming in off the bench, and figures to emerge as a starter in his third pro season.

If that's true, Earl had a 1.56 10 yard split at the combine at 315 lbs. Shocked

I know Frank Bush's defense had this STUPID idea of wanting smaller DTs. Mayhaps he lost the weight in an effort to appease the old boss? When the new boss came in, it was unsure whether he'd be a DE or NT, so keeping the weight off was probably in his best interest...

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
texans_uk

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Per rotoworld

Quote:

I'm guessing he was originally penciled in as our 4-3 UT.

Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear of the added bulk as long as he doesn't lose athleticism in the process or test positive for anything. Also with OTA's and then training camp, I question if he can keep the weight on going into the season. With Cody being a FA after this next season we may see a NT rotation of Mitchell and Fangupo soon.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
Per rotoworld

Quote:

I know Frank Bush's defense had this STUPID idea of wanting smaller DTs. Mayhaps he lost the weight in an effort to appease the old boss? When the new boss came in, it was unsure whether he'd be a DE or NT, so keeping the weight off was probably in his best interest...

These guys vary 10 pounds a day in weight. I'm sure he chugged water for all he was worth right before he weighed in at the Combine, he was probably closer to 305 in actuality, and I'm sure he worked ridiculously hard to get that high for draft purposes then eased off because he didn't need to be at that weight. I'm also sure 287 is just a number they put to make his look legitimate. I reality, he could have been anywhere from 280 to 300. Much like many centers lie about their height (Though KG is easily over 7 ft tall, he's always listed at 6-11), I'm sure plenty of D-linemen lie about their weight, giving lowball and highball estimates.

Sig by matthouston91
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
Per rotoworld

Quote:

These guys vary 10 pounds a day in weight. I'm sure he chugged water for all he was worth right before he weighed in at the Combine, he was probably closer to 305 in actuality, and I'm sure he worked ridiculously hard to get that high for draft purposes then eased off because he didn't need to be at that weight. I'm also sure 287 is just a number they put to make his look legitimate. I reality, he could have been anywhere from 280 to 300. Much like many centers lie about their height (Though KG is easily over 7 ft tall, he's always listed at 6-11), I'm sure plenty of D-linemen lie about their weight, giving lowball and highball estimates.

This is the truth right here.

I am more than 100lbs less than Mitchell, and my weight varies like crazy.

Weigh me in the morning? I'll probably be around 186. At night? 192. I could be wrong, but I would except this to issue to be exacerbated as your weight goes up.

He's gained some weight for sure, but some of this is due to manipulation.

I've always liked Earl's build for a NT, though. He has tree trunks for thighs.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
amazingandre

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, hopefully he is strong enough to hold the point of attack....
jargin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he becomes a starter at some point it makes the 2010 draft a bit more impressive. Right now Tate has been the best player. Kareem has been up and down. A good year by Mitchell would help solidify that group as well as more improvement by Jackson.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this last night on 20/20 (yes kids, life after 40 means sometimes watching news shows on a Friday night). Different fraud to expose, but still relevant and reveals how quickly you can manipulate these things and transform your body. In 5 hours this guy went from ripped up to couch potato (for reverse before and after photo). I wish he had weighed himself, but I suspect he could have easily had a 10 lb difference. The hyper-focus on measurables down to the pound or millisecond is just as dumb as women who look at magazine covers and starve themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M957dACQyfU

Remember, the players defense in the Starcaps deal was that they were just dropping water weight to hit contract incentives (but it also includes Bumetanide a well known masking agent). Diuretics are still the most widely used masking agents for drug tests, especially for recreational drugs, so to me the biggest red flag would actually be a combine weight much lower than expected followed by putting that weight back on by the pro day (Alshon Jeffery anyone?).

The NFL combine might be the easiest drug test anyone will ever face this side of boxing or MMA as you have months to prepare and cleanse. I would NEVER touch a player who failed a combine drug test, not because of the drugs, but because you could never trust these players ability to comprehend consequences for any action in life, and is tantamount to seeing a woman 8 months pregnant with bottle of Jack and a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. If the NFL really cared about this issue they would institute true IOC style testing include blood samples, day of event testing, and off season random pop in testing. However, all you have to do is look what a serious drug testing program with a goal of restoring the competitive balance and eliminating the cheats did to the profitability of cycling in Europe and you understand why nobody really wants this. While I understand why the whole concussion/brain damage issue is getting so much run these days, but IMO this is a direct result of the rampant PED use creating a league full of Ivan Drago's that cause more damage, gameday amphetamine abuse, and post game painkiller abuse. If the NFL or NFLPA really cared about brain damage, they wouldn't focus on a few hits a year, they would focus on the daily chemical culture that has player brains jumbled with ups/downs and post career painkiller addictions that is simply a slower form of suicide. Seau just happened to come from a culture where they take things into their own hands.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
mse326

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Remember, the players defense in the Starcaps deal was that they were just dropping water weight to hit contract incentives (but it also includes Bumetanide a well known masking agent). Diuretics are still the most widely used masking agents for drug tests, especially for recreational drugs, so to me the biggest red flag would actually be a combine weight much lower than expected followed by putting that weight back on by the pro day (Alshon Jeffery anyone?).

Didn't he way even less at his pro day? Or at least right about the same.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: