Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos sign former Bills CB Drayton Florence to 2-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroncsDominate

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Anybody remember playing BUF and NWE? And how they pretty much spread us out at will?

This signing shows me that John Fox was not happy with the way those spread offenses just abused our team by running 4 and 5 wide. Dont worry guys, Bruton and Bush wont be covering WR's anymore.

Why do you always refer to the Pats as NWE? Just curious.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncsDominate wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Anybody remember playing BUF and NWE? And how they pretty much spread us out at will?

This signing shows me that John Fox was not happy with the way those spread offenses just abused our team by running 4 and 5 wide. Dont worry guys, Bruton and Bush wont be covering WR's anymore.

I have no idea... Confused Think

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
BroncsDominate wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

Seriously? I really dont understand. Maybe im just stupid...lol
maverick9305

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie Nelson#1 wrote:
PackAtBroncos07 wrote:
AntiSuperstar wrote:
germ-x wrote:
How do you remember details from so many different games (hell some of them not even the Broncos) at least 4 months after they happened? Laughing

Hell in this past month i have forgotten so much crap that actually matters it isn't even funny.

My brain is amazing at remembering useless information(especially if its fascinates me) and terrible at remembering things that matter.

Maybe you should only focus on learning information that fascinates you then and forget the things you can't remember anyways.

Back on track:

Idk, I don't really care who plays the nickle as long as all five of our guys are playing to match up that suit them well.

A quintet of Champ Bailey, Tracy Porter, Chris Harris, Drayton Florence, and Syd'Quan Thompson sounds trust worthy enough to handle 5 wide any day.

Change Thompson for Omar Bolden.

I think Cassius Vaughn needs to be in the mix as well. I believe before he got injured some around here were discussing him as a future starting corner and he was playing at a high level. I think he could be a valuable player.

Interesting situation at corner though. We have one great player and a bunch of kind of mediocre ones. I'm not sure that quantity is going to be enough to fix all our secondary problems - I think it's more about quality.

Regardless, decent signing. This league is getting more pass oriented and we need to try and keep up.
PackAtBroncos07

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie Nelson#1 wrote:
PackAtBroncos07 wrote:
AntiSuperstar wrote:
germ-x wrote:
How do you remember details from so many different games (hell some of them not even the Broncos) at least 4 months after they happened? Laughing

Hell in this past month i have forgotten so much crap that actually matters it isn't even funny.

My brain is amazing at remembering useless information(especially if its fascinates me) and terrible at remembering things that matter.

Maybe you should only focus on learning information that fascinates you then and forget the things you can't remember anyways.

Back on track:

Idk, I don't really care who plays the nickle as long as all five of our guys are playing to match up that suit them well.

A quintet of Champ Bailey, Tracy Porter, Chris Harris, Drayton Florence, and Syd'Quan Thompson sounds trust worthy enough to handle 5 wide any day.

Change Thompson for Omar Bolden.

Ah good call.

So do we really have a camp battle for 1 spot between Syd, Cassius, and Omar? Or will there be 2 spots...

6 CB's wouldn't be a bad thing, substitution wise..
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good move. We got a proven veteran for a good price. Florence can come in and compete with Porter, Bolden and Harris for a starting/major-contributor role.

I know some around here think Elway is an inept, ego-maniacal fool, but he's got a plan and he's sticking to it. He believes a team can never have enough good CBs; an opinion also held by the Super Bowl champion New York Giants. Finding bargains like this represents not only good acumen by a personnel executive but good business sense as well.

The Broncos got better today.

Mile High wrote:
I just hope that Flourence doesn't hinder the development of Harris. I really like Harris, think he has potential. I kind af look at it like 4 solid corners for 3 spots.

Harris, like every other player on the roster, will have to compete for and earn his job. He will get whatever role he earns, be it nickel CB or special teamer or training camp causality.

dbronx42 wrote:
the safety position is still a question mark as of now.

I agree. We're in good shape at CB - regardless of which of the final four, five or six end up being picked. But both S positions are questionable.

I personally think both Carter and Moore will make some big strides. Bruton I've never really believed in beyond being a special teamer; he's had three years and never distinguished himself and only made it into a starting role once everyone else got hurt. As far as Adams, who knows; but we've got some bodies to compete in camp, we will see what happens.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we do have a plan to use one of our CB's as a CB/S Hybrid based on the down and distance. I know it isn't the same, but Harris has experience in that role at Kansas.

I think the way the Texans use Glover Quin, the way the Raiders use Tyvon Branch, the way the Chiefs use Eric Berry and the way the Seahawks use Earl Thomas is the future of NFL Safety play. All of these players play the deep middle, play man coverage against TE's whilst also being asked to cover the slot.

The Bucs have said this is how they plan on using Mark Barron, and that isn't surprising considering where they took him. I don't think any Safety on our roster can do all of the things I just mentioned, so do we call on the help of one of our CB's to help out?

MUFC OK
Molsted

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
I wonder if we do have a plan to use one of our CB's as a CB/S Hybrid based on the down and distance. I know it isn't the same, but Harris has experience in that role at Kansas.

I think the way the Texans use Glover Quin, the way the Raiders use Tyvon Branch, the way the Chiefs use Eric Berry and the way the Seahawks use Earl Thomas is the future of NFL Safety play. All of these players play the deep middle, play man coverage against TE's whilst also being asked to cover the slot.

The Bucs have said this is how they plan on using Mark Barron, and that isn't surprising considering where they took him. I don't think any Safety on our roster can do all of the things I just mentioned, so do we call on the help of one of our CB's to help out?

I agree fully with this. As you pointed out it takes a special skill set for a player to fill out that role alone. I think it is essential for us to find a player at some point who can take this role alone. And that kind of player aint exactly easy to find.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:

Chris Harris has the skillset to play SS in the Fox scheme IMO. Since Fox(and Del Rio) prefer covering safeties rather than a box safety and a free safety. Mike Adams and Chris Harris might well be our starting safeties with Bailey, Porter and Florence as our 3 starting corners and Bolden playing special teams and rotating in.

Fify.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

Chris Harris has the skillset to play SS in the Fox scheme IMO. Since Fox(and Del Rio) prefer covering safeties rather than a box safety and a free safety. Mike Adams and Chris Harris might well be our starting safeties with Bailey, Porter and Florence as our 3 starting corners and Bolden playing special teams and rotating in.

Wasn't Harris asked whether he'd play safety for KU and that's why his stock fell before the draft?

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

Wasn't Harris asked whether he'd play safety for KU and that's why his stock fell before the draft?

I believe his stock fell because he was playing Safety at KU. When asked to switch positions, after the starting safety got hurt, he willingly did and in-turn his stock fell. He can obviously play both but I wouldnt say he will be a starting Safety in the NFL. Hes a good Nickel-CB (not big or fast enough to play on the outside, consistently) and an average Safety.

However, I do agree with Lomax's assumption that (as Lomax's boy Greg Cosell pointed out) there will be a new type of CB/S hybrid in the NFL. He believes the NFL will start to transition to a 4-CB secondary because of all the passing going on.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncsDominate wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
BroncsDominate wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

Seriously? I really dont understand. Maybe im just stupid...lol

Youre not stupid... I seriously have no idea why I do it. "Ever since I can remember..." Ive been writing it that way.

Take a look at this link.... Apparently, even ESPN is confused:
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=320122017

On the "left side" its has:
Quote:
1st and 10 at NE 40

But on the "right side" it has:
Quote:
BAL NWE

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Very good move. We got a proven veteran for a good price. Florence can come in and compete with Porter, Bolden and Harris for a starting/major-contributor role.

I know some around here think Elway is an inept, ego-maniacal fool, but he's got a plan and he's sticking to it. He believes a team can never have enough good CBs; an opinion also held by the Super Bowl champion New York Giants. Finding bargains like this represents not only good acumen by a personnel executive but good business sense as well.

The Broncos got better today.

Mile High wrote:
I just hope that Flourence doesn't hinder the development of Harris. I really like Harris, think he has potential. I kind af look at it like 4 solid corners for 3 spots.

Harris, like every other player on the roster, will have to compete for and earn his job. He will get whatever role he earns, be it nickel CB or special teamer or training camp causality.

dbronx42 wrote:
the safety position is still a question mark as of now.

I agree. We're in good shape at CB - regardless of which of the final four, five or six end up being picked. But both S positions are questionable.

I personally think both Carter and Moore will make some big strides. Bruton I've never really believed in beyond being a special teamer; he's had three years and never distinguished himself and only made it into a starting role once everyone else got hurt. As far as Adams, who knows; but we've got some bodies to compete in camp, we will see what happens.
You are so bipolar with Elway sometimes Laughing
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:

Well, to nitpick, I wouldn't say Branch plays the deep middle that much(and furthermore a lack of a good deep Safety is a big weakness for the Raiders) nor that he has the ability to be a centerfielder and Glover Quin doesn't play the deep middle either, and he isn't anything special covering Tight Ends imo. That said I agree that the Safety position is changing, finally. I actually think the idea that defensive backs by and large should be able to play both cornerback and safety should be the standard by now. That doesn't mean bigger Safeties don't still have a role(the amount 3 Safety base defenses in the NFL indicates these players could have an even bigger role actually), but it needs to be a somewhat different one.

My ideal is actually that a team's rotation should have a nickleback who can also play sort of a strong Safety role, similar to Chris Harris or Glover Quin, two starting Safeties who can be both centerfielders and play outside or slot corner(this is the reason why I look at players like Greg Reid of FSU as a potential Safety), and two bigger Safeties. One of which could be a Donovan Darius/LaRon Landry/John Lynch etc. type who would primarily do things like play nickel linebacker, be an in the box Safety out of 3 Safety groupings or in defensive sets designed to stop power formations, rush the passer, be a QB spy, press players off the line before passing them off to others, and things like that. Then the other player would be a type that I think is also coming more into style in the NFL, a SS type who can also paly nickel corner, of which Tyvon Branch is a perfect example in the NFL, and which George Iloka was at times in college(regardless of whether or not that translaes at the NFL level, I think there will be other players like that). Especially if one could find a taller guy like that, I mean I would love to press a guy and then play zone with a guy like that against teams splitting out a receiving Tight End wide for example.

The point is that a secondary should be out there to match up against specific formations/matchups/players(the first two moreso than the third), and should not be a steady rotation.

This is what the Texans did last year. Glover Quin sometimes played strong safety, sometimes he played nickel corner wherein a backup Safety(Troy Nolan) would come in and sometimes have to play very deep depending on what the normal FS Manning was doing, sometimes he played dime linebacker. The actual nickel corner of the Texans, Brice McCain still played a high amount of snaps(it might have been over 50% on defense). And even further, the starting corner spot opposite Jonathan Joseph was literally a position of rotation based on matchups, with both Kareem Jackson and Jason Allen playing an almost equal amount of snaps sometimes. And I even saw the Texans adjust to red zone 4 receiver bunch formations by going deeper into their depth chart and having 4 Safeties on the field, on another occasion I saw them have #4 Safety Quintin Demps play a bit to match up against an opposing Tight End man to man.

Now if you count, that's a regular 7 man rotation that sometimes goes up to 8 secondary players. No other team better exemplifies this need to adjust your secondary both personnel and formation to best match up against opposing offenses. Now I think if a team wanted to prioritize it they could have a regular 7-8 man rotation as far as defensive backs go and have an even more talented group of DBs than the Texans do. It's a lot harder to isolate an individual player and schematically attack a defense methodically when they are so versatile.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zukhyubern wrote:
You are so bipolar with Elway sometimes Laughing

Why because there's things he has done that I like and there are things he has done that I don't like? Why be an absolutist?

I call it as I see it, good or bad, positive or negative. I'm not a hater and I'm not a homer.

What are your thoughts, Zuk, on the Florence signing?

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: