Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eric's January mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Eric dunn


Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 6542
Location: San Antonio, TX
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Eric's January mock Reply with quote

I think this is how the Vikings offseason could go, not exactly what i would do. But here it goes.. Feedback is much appreciated.


Players Released/not returning:

Chad Greenway
Tom Johnson
Jerome Felton
Ben Tate
Charlie Johnson

Players resigned:

Harrison Smith - 5 years, 40 million
Joe Berger - 1 year
Matt Asiata - 1 year
Mike Harris - 1 year
Practice squad players to future deals

Free Agency:

The Vikings sign Chris Culliver to a 3 year, 12 million dollar deal.

Quote:
Culliver is a long corner who has the ability to be a solid number 2. He would come in and compete with J.Robinson for the starting job opposite of Rhodes.


The Vikings sign Brandon Spikes to a 2 year, 6 million dollar deal.

Quote:
Spikes is a good fit for Zimmers defense as he's a downhill thumper. Brinkley was supposed to be that guy, but didnt meet expectations. Spikes will be expected to serve as our 2 down MLB. He's still relatively young, and should come cheap as he didnt have a great year in BUF. But just two years ago he was very productive for NE and was a top LB in the league vs the run. Grading out near the top of PFFs rankings vs the run. Should be our starter until we find our future at the position. IMO Mike Zimmer undervalues MLBs in his defense.


The Vikings sign DE/OLB Pernell McPhee to a 3 year, 9 million dollar deal.

Quote:
After having a solid rookie year at DE, the Ravens moved him to OLB where he slumped just a bit and got hurt. Zimmer will move Pernell back to DE in this scheme, and he will compete in camp to start with BRob. If he doesnt win the job, he will be a rotational player with fresh legs and solid pass rushing ability. Robison just hasnt looked like the player he once was, so the Vikings want some competition. Plus Zimmer loves to rotate the dline. Still only 26 years old as well.


The Vikings sign WR Duron Carter to a 1 year, 1 million dollar deal.

Quote:
Duron impresses the Vikings in his workout and is signed to compete for a spot in TC. Plenty of talent, with good size(6-5).


TRADE: Adrian Peterson is traded to the New England Patriots for a 3rd round draft pick in the upcoming draft.
After much contemplating, Rick Spielman decides its best for both parties to move on. And he decides that he will get something in return for the star player rather than just letting him go scott free. Adrian agrees to restructure with NE, and NE gets a chance to pair the legendary Brady with a HOF RB for the first time in his career. Much like the Randy Moss trade, the Patriots feel like there is alot of gas left in the tank for AD. Me personally, id love to keep AP, i just have a hard time seeing it. I think after all that has happened, both parties will be ready to move on.

The Draft:

1. The Minnesota Vikings select, OT/OG, Brandon Scherff, Iowa

Quote:
After making the decision that Teddy is the face of the franchise, the Vikings decide they will start by giving him some protection. Scherff can play LT, but right now the Vikings are looking at him to fill a huge hole at LG. He will be a day 1 starter at LG, with the potential to take over for Kalil if he keeps struggling. Brandon is a nasty run blocker, who has potential to be a pro-bowl guard. Some may think ah its too early to take a guard, but just look at the impact Zach Martin had on the cowboys. We also might need him to slide to LT sooner rather than later.


2. The Vikings select, S, Derron Smith, Fresno St.

Quote:
Smith is an all around solid safety, who has been compared to Earl Thomas. He lacks ideal size, but he has great range in coverage and is stout in the box for his size. Very productive player for the Bulldogs, he should compete and win the starting job next to Harrison. Finally the Vikings should have a young talented duo at the safety position, and it will be the Smith bros.


3. The Vikings select, RB, Jay Ajayi, Boise St

Quote:
Jay is one of my favorite players in the draft. Could go much earlier, but this is a very deep class of RBs. He is a very hard runner, who is very talented. He can make the big play, but he can also get the tough yards. He has great vision, burst thru the hole, and has enough speed/acceleration to bust out some long runs (unlike Asiata). Not great in pass pro right now, and needs to improve his ball security. But he has pretty good hands to catch out of the backfield. Jay should come into camp as the number 2 back behind McKinnon, but ultimately Norv sees this as a RBBC moving forward. Ajayi and McKinnon look the be the future at RB behind Teddy.


3. The Vikings select, WR, Vince Mayle, Washington St

Quote:
Vince is a big 6-3 WR who has great leaping ability to go up and get jump balls vs CBs, and has great body control. He's not a burner, but he has good quickness and plenty of speed for a guy his size. He should come in and backup Charles Johnson, with a chance to push for the starting job early. With the questions surrounds Patterson, and Jennings getting long in the tooth we need another WR. If all goes as planned, Mayle, Johnson and CP84 will form a very good trio of WRs to grow with the QBOTF Teddy Bridgewater.


4. The Vikings select, DT, Grady Jarrett, Clemson

Quote:
Jarrett is a prototypical 3 tech, with some explosiveness and strength. He could go earlier, but i think the 4th is about right. Hes not massive but has very good strength for his size. He will come in and take Tom Johnson's spot in the rotation, and ultimately give us some depth there.


5. The Vikings select, MLB, Trey DePriest, Alabama

Quote:
A big time contributer for the Crimson tide, DePriest is very good vs the run and improving in coverage. He has all the tools to be a good player, and should back up Spikes to start off with. If he developes he will be the starter at MLB in the future. Plus LB depth is much needed.


6. The Vikings select, DE, Jermauria Rasco, LSU

7. The Vikings select, CB, Julian Wilson, Oklahoma


Depth chart coming...
_________________

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BWG VIKE


Joined: 06 Jan 2014
Posts: 645
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the Ben Tate that plays for the Steelers? Laughing

I like the first two free agents except I think Culliver will command something more like a 3-5years contract at $6 Million/year and would start not compete.

Then came the Petey trade and I am not on that boat.

As for the draft I wouldn't be mad but I prefer La'el Collins and not addressing safety that early, I like someone like maybe Anthony Harris or Prewitt if they start falling to the 3rd or 4th.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eric dunn


Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 6542
Location: San Antonio, TX
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea that's the same Tate but I just had us releasing him as we did.

As for La'el Collins, I don't think he will be able to play LT as well at this level. I think he's a guard and 11 is too early for him. And the safety position always goes overlooked, if you have two good safeties that lessens the chance for big plays downfield. I think a rangy, coverage safety like Derron would compliment Harrison nicely.

I don't think Culliver will require that much. He hasn't proven anything.
_________________

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SemperFeist


Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 3231
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat that believes 11 is too high for a guard, not to mention for all of the guards that have been drafted in the 1st round, most play on the right side. Only 3 left guard in the league were drafted in the 1st round. Zack Martin, Chance Warmack, David DeCastro, Kevin Zeitler, Kyle Long, the high profile guards that were drafted in the 1st round are right guards.

I think that speaks volumes on where the NFL places the importance of the respective guard positions.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eric dunn


Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 6542
Location: San Antonio, TX
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
I'm in the same boat that believes 11 is too high for a guard, not to mention for all of the guards that have been drafted in the 1st round, most play on the right side. Only 3 left guard in the league were drafted in the 1st round. Zack Martin, Chance Warmack, David DeCastro, Kevin Zeitler, Kyle Long, the high profile guards that were drafted in the 1st round are right guards.

I think that speaks volumes on where the NFL places the importance of the respective guard positions.


I agree. But Scherff is not just a guard, he has potential at LT. And after the last two years of watching Kalil struggle, id say it wouldnt be a bad idea to find a plan B. IF Kalil turns it around then we have a potential pro bowl LG to play next to him, also a guy that versatile enough to play LT and probably even RT if need be.
_________________

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Freakout


Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 3449
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
I'm in the same boat that believes 11 is too high for a guard, not to mention for all of the guards that have been drafted in the 1st round, most play on the right side. Only 3 left guard in the league were drafted in the 1st round. Zack Martin, Chance Warmack, David DeCastro, Kevin Zeitler, Kyle Long, the high profile guards that were drafted in the 1st round are right guards.

I think that speaks volumes on where the NFL places the importance of the respective guard positions.


Then you put Scherff at RG and move Fusco over to LG. Fusco would probably be more comfortable at LG anyway due to his background of playing center in college.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 30012
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't see Scherff having a future at left tackle, at least not one worthy of a top 15 pick.

He struggled with injury this year but he was never a dominant college LT.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
2015 Aggregate Draft Board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 30012
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth would you move Fusco? He was on the verge of pushing into the top 5 at his position.

Moving him makes no sense, especially if you're using it as a justification for drafting a player higher.

Assuming he would be more comfortable there because he played center also makes little sense and isn't really based on anything but opinion.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
2015 Aggregate Draft Board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freakout


Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 3449
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Why on earth would you move Fusco? He was on the verge of pushing into the top 5 at his position.

Moving him makes no sense, especially if you're using it as a justification for drafting a player higher.

Assuming he would be more comfortable there because he played center also makes little sense and isn't really based on anything but opinion.


Why would you move Fusco? Well you would move him if you had a better right guard. I am not using that as justification. Just stating that you normally play your best guard on the right side. I just disagree with the view that it would create a problem.

It makes sense to me. It is brought up here often that the right guard doesn't get as much help from the center as the left guard does. Fusco spent his college career playing center giving or receiving help from the guards next to him. Compared to someone like Scherff who spends most of his time alone on an island playing LT.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jshowers


Joined: 03 May 2013
Posts: 16305
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even evaluating Scherff as an OT anymore. Pure interior guy to me.

So strong and nasty, but stiff and really heavy footed. Can be a winning player in the league as a power blocking G.
_________________

Sig by CalhounLambeau
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 30012
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
Why would you move Fusco? Well you would move him if you had a better right guard. I am not using that as justification. Just stating that you normally play your best guard on the right side. I just disagree with the view that it would create a problem.

It makes sense to me. It is brought up here often that the right guard doesn't get as much help from the center as the left guard does. Fusco spent his college career playing center giving or receiving help from the guards next to him. Compared to someone like Scherff who spends most of his time alone on an island playing LT.

Scherff is automatically a better right guard? A position, like Fusco, he never played in college? Scherff HAS played left guard for Iowa.

I also wouldn't compare playing on an island as a left tackle to playing on an island at right guard, but, if you do make that comparison, playing on a island is where Scherff struggled.

Your original post made the inference that Fusco would be more comfortable receiving help, but his play on the field seems to be evidence to the contrary. As a center, receiving and giving help, he was a 6th round draft pick (admittedly a lot of that had to do with the school he went to). As a right guard, with less help, he's worked his way towards the top of the league and a nice contract.

If we select Scherff, it will be as a left guard, or a temporary left guard if they view him as a possible tackle replacement for Kalil or Loadholt. A rookie isn't going to come in and replace, barring further injury, someone this team just signed to be a cornerstone.

EDIT: I can agree that your best guard should be playing on the right, but I disagree that Scherff would come in and be a better guard. If that wasn't what you were trying to say then I apologize for mis-reading it.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
2015 Aggregate Draft Board


Last edited by rpmwr19 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 50221
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Culliver and Spikes signings, but I fear they may get more than what you have projected on the open market. Both would be good fits for this defense, especially Spikes.

Scherff would be a nice option at LG, probably not a LT at the next level. I am not a fan of addressing Safety so early, I want to see Blanton get another year as starter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Longest Lurker


Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Posts: 146
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, I like it.

However, I also prefer La'el Collins if we go OL in Rd1. The other picks I could also see your reasoning with. Nice job on the breakdown of players too.

I might be in the minority here, but I do not think going the route of a established veteran at the corner position is a realistic scenario this off-season. Zimmer takes great pleasure in coaching young CBs since they are more open to coaching. Case in point, how he gushes about Xavier Rhodes development and his comments about his desire to play young guys since they are sponges (my paraphrase). Further still, Munnerlyn's recent comments about how he refused to listen to Zimmer and his coaching points, and preferred to do it his own way (my paraphrase). Here's the article link:
http://thevikingage.com/2014/12/29/captain-munnerlyn-admits-didnt-listen-mike-zimmer-vows-change/

Speilman does sometimes take a stop-gap veteran or up-and-comer-off-the-radar-2nd-contract type of veterans as well, but I don't think Zim will want that this offseason. I think in year 1 it was important to bring in a vet safety (guy from Cinci), but I don't think it is important this year for a veteran or a stop gaps in the secondary other than fringe depth. In fact, you could make the case, that we have veterans DBs (2-3 years experience is a veteran in my book). All the starters in the secondary have at least 2 years experience. Zimmer will talk Spielman into taking the next "Xavier Rhodes" that he spies in the draft. The "unlearning of bad habits" sets a vet further behind a rookie when you have someone as capable as Zim and his staff at developing DBs. What they need is to add the best height/weight/speed/instincts guy(s) in the draft that Zim can teach his scheme/technique to.
_________________

"Respect for the truth is an acquired taste."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Krauser


Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 3292
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longest Lurker wrote:
I might be in the minority here, but I do not think going the route of a established veteran at the corner position is a realistic scenario this off-season. Zimmer takes great pleasure in coaching young CBs since they are more open to coaching. Case in point, how he gushes about Xavier Rhodes development and his comments about his desire to play young guys since they are sponges (my paraphrase). Further still, Munnerlyn's recent comments about how he refused to listen to Zimmer and his coaching points, and preferred to do it his own way (my paraphrase). Here's the article link:
http://thevikingage.com/2014/12/29/captain-munnerlyn-admits-didnt-listen-mike-zimmer-vows-change/

Speilman does sometimes take a stop-gap veteran or up-and-comer-off-the-radar-2nd-contract type of veterans as well, but I don't think Zim will want that this offseason. I think in year 1 it was important to bring in a vet safety (guy from Cinci), but I don't think it is important this year for a veteran or a stop gaps in the secondary other than fringe depth. In fact, you could make the case, that we have veterans DBs (2-3 years experience is a veteran in my book). All the starters in the secondary have at least 2 years experience. Zimmer will talk Spielman into taking the next "Xavier Rhodes" that he spies in the draft. The "unlearning of bad habits" sets a vet further behind a rookie when you have someone as capable as Zim and his staff at developing DBs. What they need is to add the best height/weight/speed/instincts guy(s) in the draft that Zim can teach his scheme/technique to.


Very smart point.

In that scenario, Robinson and Munnerlyn are already stopgaps -- Robinson under contract through 2015, Munnerlyn through 2016. If they draft a future starter at CB this year, he'd potentially have a year or two of coaching before he played much.

I think they might still need to use a pick in the top 2-3 rounds to get a guy with the necessary size/speed/tools, even if there's no plan to use him as a starter until 2016.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Longest Lurker


Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Posts: 146
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
Longest Lurker wrote:
I might be in the minority here, but I do not think going the route of a established veteran at the corner position is a realistic scenario this off-season. Zimmer takes great pleasure in coaching young CBs since they are more open to coaching. Case in point, how he gushes about Xavier Rhodes development and his comments about his desire to play young guys since they are sponges (my paraphrase). Further still, Munnerlyn's recent comments about how he refused to listen to Zimmer and his coaching points, and preferred to do it his own way (my paraphrase). Here's the article link:
http://thevikingage.com/2014/12/29/captain-munnerlyn-admits-didnt-listen-mike-zimmer-vows-change/

Speilman does sometimes take a stop-gap veteran or up-and-comer-off-the-radar-2nd-contract type of veterans as well, but I don't think Zim will want that this offseason. I think in year 1 it was important to bring in a vet safety (guy from Cinci), but I don't think it is important this year for a veteran or a stop gaps in the secondary other than fringe depth. In fact, you could make the case, that we have veterans DBs (2-3 years experience is a veteran in my book). All the starters in the secondary have at least 2 years experience. Zimmer will talk Spielman into taking the next "Xavier Rhodes" that he spies in the draft. The "unlearning of bad habits" sets a vet further behind a rookie when you have someone as capable as Zim and his staff at developing DBs. What they need is to add the best height/weight/speed/instincts guy(s) in the draft that Zim can teach his scheme/technique to.


Very smart point.

In that scenario, Robinson and Munnerlyn are already stopgaps -- Robinson under contract through 2015, Munnerlyn through 2016. If they draft a future starter at CB this year, he'd potentially have a year or two of coaching before he played much.

I think they might still need to use a pick in the top 2-3 rounds to get a guy with the necessary size/speed/tools, even if there's no plan to use him as a starter until 2016.


Krauser, you got me thinking CB in early rounds again. Very Happy

I do agree, that early rounds is probably necessary for what we need from a CB. Tools might be in there in the later rounds, but with that comes headaches/troubles (Dorial Green Beckman of DBs). I am pretty risk-averse with the 1-3 picks. It's still early, but as I see it now from both a need and a BPA perspective - I like the 2nd round for a CB, and going OL or WR for first round.
_________________

"Respect for the truth is an acquired taste."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group