Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who is ready to break out?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UKpantherfan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Who is ready to break out? Reply with quote

Lots of talk on anither topic about TE Gary Barnidge possibly having the best chance he's ever had to break out.

I think Brandon Hogan and Brandon LaFell could also really turn up big this year - who do you guys see breaking out?
boondock

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Brandon Lafell could have one of those seasons that makes him a big name to casual fans. He showed promise in the last part of the season last year.

Armanti Edwards needs to have a break out year or he might be watching football from home. One could argue that he's never really gotten a chance, but at the same time if he was worthy of a chance he would have seen the field.

Gary Barnidge is another player in Armanti's shoes. It's a make or break year for him, maybe not with the Panthers, but he's playing for a shot in the league.

Hogan, Butler, Munnerlyn, or Norman has to breakout in the #2 CB spot. It's imperative to the overall defensive play for us to have above average play from our #2 CB.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for Jeff Otah to break out of the IR list. If he can stay healthy the Panthers will have a dominant front 5.
Moody

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon LaFell, Greg Hardy, Gary Barnidge and Charles Godfrey.

I think they could all substantially improve their production. I think the overall improvement from both the offense and defense will lead to many young players breaking out.
boondock

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:
Brandon LaFell, Greg Hardy, Gary Barnidge and Charles Godfrey.

I think they could all substantially improve their production. I think the overall improvement from both the offense and defense will lead to many young players breaking out.

Godfrey is a good one too. This has to be the year that he proves himself as a top 10 NFL safety or I believe that Safety becomes a high priority pick for us next year.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for Jeff Otah to break out of the IR list. If he can stay healthy the Panthers will have a dominant front 5.
BringinDaPain

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is LaFell, Gettis and Barn will all break out this year.

2012 DROY Winner - Luke Kuechly 164 tackles, 2 Int, 1 sack, 11 TFLs, 8 PD and 3 Fumble recoveries
Luke Kuechly - 2013 Defensive Player of the Year
Zithers

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure. greg hardy would be a good pick, but we have applewhite, keiser, and alexander who are stealing snaps...

gettis and lafell probably won't even be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th options (smitty, olsen, stew, tolbert).

godfrey is probably the most solid pick for a breakout year, especially if FS play improves from martin/haruki/reggie smith.

brandon hogan has a very good shot at #2 corner and he's playing opposite a top 10 corner and has a good front 7 in front of him.

also, joe adams since there seems to be a new big return man every season.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see LaFell, Godfrey and Hogan break out. I think LaFell and Godfrey have a more likely shot because there will be a lot of shared CB #2 time

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Thomas Keiser Reply with quote

Keiser really intrigues me. 4 sacks, 13 Tackles and 1 int. Thats great production for a guy who was not a starter and who did not see much time till the end of the year. If he gets more opportunities this season, I could definitely see this guy breaking out next season.
CarolinaRoar

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
not sure. greg hardy would be a good pick, but we have applewhite, keiser, and alexander who are stealing snaps...

gettis and lafell probably won't even be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th options (smitty, olsen, stew, tolbert).

godfrey is probably the most solid pick for a breakout year, especially if FS play improves from martin/haruki/reggie smith.

brandon hogan has a very good shot at #2 corner and he's playing opposite a top 10 corner and has a good front 7 in front of him.

I think Lafell has more catches then them three.
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaRoar wrote:
Zithers wrote:

I think Lafell has more catches then them three.
Yeah, barring injury, I'm betting the number of catches goes:
1. Smitty
2. Lafell
3. Olsen
4. Stewart
5. Gettis

With 2-5 getting a similar amount of receptions and, honestly, probably being interchangeable.

Stewart was second on the team last year, with Olsen third and Naanee fourth. But there were only three receptions between 2 & 4 (47, 45, 44). Also, Newton was a rookie and they ran a ton of screens. They'll likely still run screens, but I would also expect more plays that target other receiving options down the field. Fewer dump-offs, etc.

I actually expect Lafell to solidify himself and a very solid, go-to type of possession receiving. Gettis I'm hoping can return to the promising form he showed at the end of '10. I really hope Godfrey busts out. He's been a solid, if unspectacular safety thus far. Really hope Hogan and Hardy explode.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Gettis
Brandon LaFell
Gary Barnidge
Jeff Otah
Greg Hardy
Thomas Keiser
Thomas Davis
Brandon Hogan
Darius Butler
Charles Godfrey
Sherrod Martin
Haruki Nakamura

Any of these men are prime for a breakout.
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
jbegley8

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My picks for a breakout year are.....

1. David Gettis - I think he will become Newtons #2

2. Terrell McClain - With Edwards back and a full training camp I think we could see 4 to 7 sacks from McClain.

3. Reggie Smith - I really like Smith and I think he will be our starting SS and he will have a really good.

4. Matt Reynolds - Now this is my sleeper and I know he is a undrafted rookie, but this kid was great at BYU and I think if we move him to RG he could be a starter for 10 years.
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Gettis' injury doesn't hinder his play then I'd say he's prime for a breakout. He was the #2 option two seasons ago and probably would have been last year if not for the injury. Plus, I think he's better then LaFell so I think he'll have a better shot then him.

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: