Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Training Camp Battles: DE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Training Camp Battles: DE Reply with quote

I'm not going to bother with one for DT as we'll either keep 5 or I could see an outside shot of Pat Sims getting cut, but I doubt it. Atkins/Still/Peko/Sims/Thompson seems like a sure thing. Onto DE

The players: Carlos Dunlap, Robert Geathers, Jamaal Anderson, Michael Johnson, Derrick Harvey, Julian Miller

Locks: Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson

Especially since I think we keep 5 DT, then we almost assuredly will only keep 4 DE. Lawson or Moch could line up as a rush end if necessitated. So with only 4 I assume we keep 2 left ends, and 2 right ends. Dunlap and Johnson are the presumptive starters and I really don't see that changing. The backups are where it gets interesting.

At LE you have a training camp battle between the underperorming vet entering contract year in Robert Geathers, vs the former first round bust who resurged a bit last season in Jamaal Anderson. This could go either way. Anderson is more physically gifted, but Geathers brings a veteran presence who knows the team and the system already.

At RE Johnson still has a lot to prove, but his competition is light. Backing up will be a battle between former top 10 bust Derrick Harvey who had also had a mini emergence in 2011 who has the natural gifts vs UDFA Juliuan Miller from WV. Miller and Harvey are both a little small, but could possibly flourish as rush ends on passing downs. Geathers could also get in the mix here if neither of them impress. Geathers is bigger now than when he had success at RE, but he does have some experrience there.

Here is how I think the dline shakes out:

LDE: Carlos Dunlap, Jamaal Anderson
UDT: Geno Atkins, Devon Still
NDT: Domata Peko, Pat Sims, Brandon Thompson
RDE: Michael Johnson, Derrick Harvey

Practice Squad: Julian Miller
Cut: Robert Geathers

I think the Bengals go younger and more athletic since even with Geathers gone, theynwould have 5 guys all with 2+ years experience on the Bengals. Harvey because he is faster, Anderson because he is stronger.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they keep Geathers over Anderson. Anderson would Be better used at DT, and obviously we are loaded at that position

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
I think they keep Geathers over Anderson. Anderson would Be better used at DT, and obviously we are loaded at that position

It could very well happen, i'm just speculating that Anderson will have a better training camp. We should see a lot of Atkins and Still side by side on third downs this year, and Thompson will fill in any injury/fatigue reps on pass downs.

wrminning

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spots are open to the men that can step up and take them, I'd say Geathers has the greatest chance of getting cut because of his contract he will have to out preform all the other players to keep his spot.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like going into the season with only 4 DE's. Thinking Geathers uses one of his 9 lives and sticks, unfortunately...
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Don't like going into the season with only 4 DE's. Thinking Geathers uses one of his 9 lives and sticks, unfortunately...

Remember, not only can we have our own guy on the PS, we can pull a guy off anyone else's practice squad too if injuries become an issue.

INbengalfan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Training Camp Battles: DE Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:

I agree with most of this, except for Geathers. The team loves him. he has started how many straight games? He's the leader of that d-line. I knmow they would like to see Dunlap start, but that's how MJ93s production went down (decreased numbers with increased playing time). Geathers is older, but in a rotation he is still effective. I would not be shocked if Geathers starts and Anderson is cut. But I also wouldn't be surprised if it plays out this way.
theJ

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Training Camp Battles: DE Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:

I agree with most of this, except for Geathers. The team loves him. he has started how many straight games? He's the leader of that d-line. I knmow they would like to see Dunlap start, but that's how MJ93s production went down (decreased numbers with increased playing time). Geathers is older, but in a rotation he is still effective. I would not be shocked if Geathers starts and Anderson is cut. But I also wouldn't be surprised if it plays out this way.

Me neither. This is the one position i don't feel like i have a good feel for. But then again, we don't know how Harvey and Anderson are going to respond. If they suck, it's going to make it very easy for Geathers to keep his spot.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
sparky151

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't DeQuin Evans moved from LB to DE? He supposedly looked great on the practice field last year. I'd think he starts camp ahead of Harvey and Miller.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky151 wrote:
Hasn't DeQuin Evans moved from LB to DE? He supposedly looked great on the practice field last year. I'd think he starts camp ahead of Harvey and Miller.

Marvin loved him some Harvey five years ago though. We would have drafted him above Rivers we didn't get traded in front of.

LondonBengal

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky151 wrote:

Yeah, I read that someplace too, but he is still officially listed as a LB
Bengals Backer

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunlap, Anderson, Johnson and Geather will be our DE's for the season. I think they'll try to move Harvey into an OLB. Marvin's always wanted the tweener guy and he may think Harveys it

Thanks Sportboy86 for the sig.
2009 AFC North Champions!
theJ

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bengals Backer wrote:
Dunlap, Anderson, Johnson and Geather will be our DE's for the season. I think they'll try to move Harvey into an OLB. Marvin's always wanted the tweener guy and he may think Harveys it

He's like 270 lb's. He's closer to a DT than a LB, haha.

If anything, Anderson was going to be the DT/DE tweener. But with 5 DT's looking to make the roster, doesn't look like that will happen.

Also, they'll use Johnson as the joker before Harvey, IMO. Since he's been doing that since he came into town and all.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
sparky151

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian Miller failed his physical and was cut today. We might add another DE for camp.
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky151 wrote:
Julian Miller failed his physical and was cut today. We might add another DE for camp.

That's upsetting. So did Brooks. I was excited to see him play corner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: