Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

It's official now-The Drill is gone!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iloxygenil

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: It's official now-The Drill is gone! Reply with quote

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/2012/05/falcons-release-mughelli/

I liked Ovie, but with that cap number and that injury there was no way around it. Loved his attitude and his tenacity. Good luck Ovie!
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I love Ovie. Probably one of my favorite players. I don't see why they had to cut him. Let him play this year, have Ewing learn for a year. If they needed the money cut Baker...

A real loss. I wish him the best. I hope they can bring him back for a cheaper price.

Last edited by Jgoldiscool on Tue May 08, 2012 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Olympia Martin

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At full health and strength Ovie is the best blocking FB in the NFL. Unfortunately his cap hit and injury have made it so we cannot afford to let him recover. Loved having him and hope he has a full recovery. Just don't sign with the Saints.
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympia Martin wrote:
At full health and strength Ovie is the best blocking FB in the NFL. Unfortunately his cap hit and injury have made it so we cannot afford to let him recover. Loved having him and hope he has a full recovery.Just don't sign with the Saints.

While I am positive he would be an upgrade over Jed Collins, I don't think you have anything to worry about. They would stick with Jed due to cost and age. Shame to see him go, Ovie was always trouble for us on short yardage. Must be a lot of faith in the rookie pick, I guess?

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 11 Tkls 1 PD
Ben Watson 3 Rec 14 Yds
matt2roddy

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
Olympia Martin wrote:
At full health and strength Ovie is the best blocking FB in the NFL. Unfortunately his cap hit and injury have made it so we cannot afford to let him recover. Loved having him and hope he has a full recovery.Just don't sign with the Saints.

While I am positive he would be an upgrade over Jed Collins, I don't think you have anything to worry about. They would stick with Jed due to cost and age. Shame to see him go, Ovie was always trouble for us on short yardage. Must be a lot of faith in the rookie pick, I guess?

Just look at Montee Balls highlights last year at Wisconsin. Ewing is an exceptional fullback, one of the best to come out in years IMO. And he has excellent hands.
But I will definitely miss Ovie though, very classy guy and did a lot of great things for us.

My 2011 Adopt-A-Falcon: 1st Team All Rookie Linebacker Akeem Dent!!!
2012 Adopt-A-Falcon: CB Asante Samuel
Willthethrill_H

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really disappointed to see Ovie go. He was one of my favorite guys on the team and brought what little spirit we had in the blocking game last year. It will definitely be interesting to see what Bradie and Peter will be able to bring to our offense.
ShockdAtFalcons

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I guess that knee injury was worse than many of us thought. Shame to see arguably our best run blocker go, just goes to show how heavily we're adjusting to the new pass-happy league

2013 Foster a falcon
SS William Moore: 85 Tackles, 3 FFs, 3 INTs.
WR Harry Douglas: 85 rec, 1,067 yards, 2 TDs.
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They added a video to the ajc link. He talks about the release and gives his reaction. After watching it I must say that Ovie is a great person.
adam9

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShockdAtFalcons wrote:
Sad I guess that knee injury was worse than many of us thought. Shame to see arguably our best run blocker go, just goes to show how heavily we're adjusting to the new pass-happy league

Not really. We did this to cut cap, and to get a guy for the future (one that fits our "new" offense better as well).

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still think we bring Ovie back at a much reduced price TD and Smitty done talked to him about it and said they would get with his agent in the following week or so.
Mekias

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the offense is moving towards more of a non-fullback scheme then this had to be done. Can't afford to pay a guy that much and only be involved in 25% or less of offensive snaps. I can't even see bringing him back for half that amount.

I wish Ovie all the best and hope he lands in a good situation where he can continue to prove what a great fullback he is.
matt2roddy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized... What if we cut Ovie to save up CAP room to nab Osi?? Additions of Osi and Samuel would be SICK!!

My 2011 Adopt-A-Falcon: 1st Team All Rookie Linebacker Akeem Dent!!!
2012 Adopt-A-Falcon: CB Asante Samuel
adam9

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2roddy wrote:
I just realized... What if we cut Ovie to save up CAP room to nab Osi?? Additions of Osi and Samuel would be SICK!!

I would think not. We have 5-6 roster DEs already..

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News around the block is he is meeting with the Dolphins this week. Reggie Bush might be right about leading the league in rushing yards next season Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
News around the block is he is meeting with the Dolphins this week. Reggie Bush might be right about leading the league in rushing yards next season Laughing

I'd love to see this happen. <3 Bush + out of the NFC = Very Happy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: