Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alex Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on the heels of that post, this just feels like the perfect time to post this one... don't come at me, bros. Laughing

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/What-should-we-expect-from-Alex-Smith-in-2012.html

Quote:
Smith may not have been the long-term answer to the 49ers’ QB question in the eyes of Harbaugh last offseason, but the former Stanford boss played the hand he was dealt and wound up taking down a monster pot. There are two ways to evaluate Smith’s potential moving forward: He’s either a late bloomer who is finally ready to embark on a promising career, or he’s a guy who peaked in 2011 and is capable of going no further. Smith’s consistency and game management skills were suburb in 2011. He took what was given, protected the football and allowed the 49ers’ top-notch defense and punting team to give his offense favorable field position. But with expectations set to reach their highest levels in over a decade this fall, will Alex be able to move past the role of game manager and evolve into the position of star QB?

That’s the question the 49ers are facing, and it’s a big one.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P-Willy52 wrote:
scraly47* wrote:
Eight years later. I guess this just goes to show how awful our coaching staffs were.

And how bad the teams were...I never gave up on him, and being on the East coast I had to hear it all the time from my buddies...even today they still don't give him the respect he deserves. While Rodgers may still be the better overall player, there is no way he would have had the success hes been able to enjoy had he been selected number 1.

I don't want to debate on this but we'll never know. But I will say that anytime you have a rookie QB coming in, it is usually a good thing to let them sit and learn especially if there is a better option at QB.

-Lork
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Well on the heels of that post, this just feels like the perfect time to post this one... don't come at me, bros. Laughing

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/What-should-we-expect-from-Alex-Smith-in-2012.html

Quote:
Smith may not have been the long-term answer to the 49ers’ QB question in the eyes of Harbaugh last offseason, but the former Stanford boss played the hand he was dealt and wound up taking down a monster pot. There are two ways to evaluate Smith’s potential moving forward: He’s either a late bloomer who is finally ready to embark on a promising career, or he’s a guy who peaked in 2011 and is capable of going no further. Smith’s consistency and game management skills were suburb in 2011. He took what was given, protected the football and allowed the 49ers’ top-notch defense and punting team to give his offense favorable field position. But with expectations set to reach their highest levels in over a decade this fall, will Alex be able to move past the role of game manager and evolve into the position of star QB?

That’s the question the 49ers are facing, and it’s a big one.

Am I the only one who pick up on the bolded word?! Spell check has become the bane of many writers and editors...perhaps someday we'll have a "context checker"? I know, nitpick--it's the teacher in me.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
oldman9er wrote:

Am I the only one who pick up on the bolded word?! Spell check has become the bane of many writers and editors...perhaps someday we'll have a "context checker"? I know, nitpick--it's the teacher in me.

Wow... haha... I did actually miss that, and I'm usually good at editing things as I read. Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALEX IS TEH GOAT!!!!11 If you don't like Alex you need to get up from your computer, do a 360, and walk away.
EverythingSF

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neezy007 wrote:
ALEX IS TEH GOAT!!!!11 If you don't like Alex you need to get up from your computer, do a 360, and walk away.

Why would I want to walk into my computer?

Laughing

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
neezy007

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverythingSF wrote:
neezy007 wrote:

Why would I want to walk into my computer?

Laughing

That troll bait wasn't for you! Laughing Laughing
SickofMediocre

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="y2lamanaki"]
SickofMediocre wrote:
Right. Norv Turner, Mike Mccarthy, Mike Martz. They all don't care about mechanics.

Humor me some more please.

Quote:
Which one of those fully developed a quarterback in one year again? In their second season as 49ers offensive coordinator, which of the three had time to correct his mechanics? Recognize that McCarthy didn't have a full offseason with him and he had to adjust to the NFL, Turner did a great job of teaching him basics and correcting the rookie year problems Alex had, but then left. And Martz was never really interested in working with Alex to begin with, as his guy was blatantly obvious, and blatantly terrible.

Turner had Rivers playing at an above average rate his first year working with him. Rodgers we don't know about because he was sitting behind a HOF QB. For all we know he may well have been ready to go earlier, maybe he wasn't ready. We'll never know. Alex's season with Turner also wasn't that good. Huge improvement? Sure. Still belowaverage QB production? Yes.

Quote:
Come on, I'm not even one of Alex's biggest supporters and I still recognize how unbelievable your level of "hate" for him is with a post like that (of course, you make it more obvious with your signature, and I assume your user name as well).

1) A post like that? My post was sarcasm directed at the thought that none of these coaches care about mechanics. Nowehere in that post did I say "Smith sux". So really, just what in the hell is your point again?

2) My signature? That tells you my level of hate, huh? Outstanding.

Quote:
Anyway, on the most recent note - considering just about every one of your posts thus far have been relating to Alex, and the afore-mentioned obvious dislike of him, consider this a preemptive strike of mine against you trolling the board on every Alex topic. If you wish to discuss it intelligently, be my guest and have at it - not going to stop that. However, the second this turns in any way into baiting others into defense mode in regards to the topic, I'm not going to hesitate to hand out a warning for trolling (for an example of what I mean, see the "humor me some more please" part of your post, which itself was only vaguely trying to make a point, that acts as a tremendous way to introduce yourself to a forum of people you've 'just met').

I had a few posts in the general forum correcting some BS as it regards to Smith. I assume that is against the law here? I mean seriously dude, can you please get a grip? LMAO. I don't troll. "Trolling" would be replying to every post I see and saying Smith sux. You may not agree with my views, but I always back them up with reason. There's a certain amendment in the freaking constitution that says I'm allowed to speak my mind. If I'm not attacking posters, or trolling, then I see nothing wrong with what I post. If you want to be biased and levy out warnings because you don't like my style of posting, that would be a joke, but seeing as how I don't take the internet as seriously as you appear to, have at it.

Quote:
And for the others who will no doubt battle him, the second you ridicule actual posts about football and bait him or any other Alex doubter into a nonsensical shouting match (be it deliberately or passive-aggressively), I will be doing the same for you. This year's Alex debates will be conducted a lot more civilly from the outset. If you disagree with a post, but can't muster up anything other than a post that comments on the post, poster, or theme of the post itself and not about football, then I'm not altogether interested in seeing it, and nobody else is either. If you feel it crossed the line already - send me or SoCal a PM, and we'll look it over.

Well glad to see you aren't biased here. But I still think you are making too many judgements off of a signature and username.

Year 8 is the year, I always say!
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SickofMediocre wrote:

SickofMediocre wrote:
Right. Norv Turner, Mike Mccarthy, Mike Martz. They all don't care about mechanics.

y2lamanaki wrote:
Which one of those fully developed a quarterback in one year again? In their second season as 49ers offensive coordinator, which of the three had time to correct his mechanics? Recognize that McCarthy didn't have a full offseason with him and he had to adjust to the NFL, Turner did a great job of teaching him basics and correcting the rookie year problems Alex had, but then left. And Martz was never really interested in working with Alex to begin with, as his guy was blatantly obvious, and blatantly terrible.

Turner had Rivers playing at an above average rate his first year working with him. Rodgers we don't know about because he was sitting behind a HOF QB. For all we know he may well have been ready to go earlier, maybe he wasn't ready. We'll never know. Alex's season with Turner also wasn't that good. Huge improvement? Sure. Still belowaverage QB production? Yes.

The point people are trying to make is that both Rodgers and Rivers had time to work on the mechanics, whereas Alex had to split his time between mechanics and learning a new offense, the latter taking the bulk of it.

Yes, Rivers did perform his first year under Turner. But that was also his third season in the NFL, after two sitting behind Brees, throwing a total of 30 passes. He had plenty of time to work on mechanics, get adjusted to the NFL, bla bla bla. He didn't have to constantly split his time and allot a disproportionate amount of it to learning playbooks over and over again.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings

Last edited by rudyZ on Wed May 09, 2012 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those judgements were based on the attitude perceived and my oh my is there ever attitude dripping from your every word! Shocked
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comment is about a post, and not about football, Mr Irony. Wink

P.S. I'm really kidding, y2. Don't hurt me.

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:

No it isn't. It was a type-o. I meant to say "Football is awesome" but the keys got jumbled. Honest Sad

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578

Last edited by y2lamanaki on Sun May 13, 2012 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
I 100% love that my original post was broken down paragraph by paragraph as I have so much time on my hands tonight, and look forward to returning the favor.

No it isn't. It was a type-o. I meant to say "Football is awesome" but the keys got jumbled. Honest Sad

Football indeed IS awesome. Even awe-full.

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Football indeed IS awesome. Even awe-full.

Football used to be awful when we had 8 straight losing seasons. Last year it was awesome. So, I guess the trick of it is- the less awe you have, the better. If the team is full of awe, they're bad. When they just have some, they're good. That's something they need to start teaching.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578

Last edited by y2lamanaki on Sun May 13, 2012 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
SickofMediocre

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
SickofMediocre wrote:

SickofMediocre wrote:

y2lamanaki wrote:

The point people are trying to make is that both Rodgers and Rivers had time to work on the mechanics, whereas Alex had to split his time between mechanics and learning a new offense, the latter taking the bulk of it.

Yes, Rivers did perform his first year under Turner. But that was also his third season in the NFL, after two sitting behind Brees, throwing a total of 30 passes. He had plenty of time to work on mechanics, get adjusted to the NFL, bla bla bla. He didn't have to constantly split his time and allot a disproportionate amount of it to learning playbooks over and over again.

Maybe I am missing something, but how is it that a QB who is on the bench gets to work on their mechanics more then someone who is a starter? I've always been under the impression that QB1 is getting the most snaps in practice. So you would think that having the more reps would give you even more time to work on your mechanics than the guy who is getting the lower amount of reps.

Year 8 is the year, I always say!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 2 of 19

Jump to: