Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 College prospects thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5019
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
So I'd like some input on Hunt from SMU.

Can't think of any man that size that's such a physical freak. His combine #'s are obscene. World Class athlete so we now he's trainable. I don't know, never seen him play but I find him really intriguing.

Only question I've got is "can he play"? Seems like some good coaching on the next level could develop a monster.

Hes such an intriguing player. Someone whose only played football for 3 years and has really picked up the game quick. Sure hes got some things to work on but dont say he cant be taught those things or his athletic ability will hinder him from learning.

Right now, Id look at low-1 to low-2 range. Hes in that crop of 30 or so players that could easily be a 1st rounder or go in the late 2nd. Id say a mid-2 is a fair grade on him right now but hes only going to get better so his potential is through the roof. He could jump up boards very quickly depending how he grades in the meeting rooms.


I've got to keep an eye on him. Looking at his combine numbers today, well, they're just not ralistic, more like surreal.

No other sport rewards bigger/stronger/faster players more than the NFL. No other sport has as much emphasis on those qualities either. Something about a 6'8" 280 lb man thats faster than most of the LB's and RB's in the draft and even with 34" arms can still put up 225 lbs 38 times just seems laughable.

If some coaching staff can harness this kids potential he'll be something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 21149
Location: Capitol Cit-ay
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with hunt is that he didn't do too much at SMU when, with his measurables, he should have literally been dominating that competition. If he was younger, I would agree that there's more time to develop, but the guy is already 26 years old. If you draft him, then you need to wait, say, two years till he hits potential, that's 28 already. Not a huge fan.
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AntiSuperstar


Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Posts: 4445
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunt may be an amazing athlete in workouts but he's not in games. The guy's a bit stiff as a rusher and pursuit player, and as a straight-up run defender he's very stiff, he lacks the ability to say rush quickly outside and then quickly dash inside, that type of change of direction ability that top rushers have(including some 300+ guys like Watt for example). He also doesn't play with a whole lot of power or explosion(at least not in comparison to the so-called elite prospects, I wouldn't say he has zero explosive ability off the edge but it's not something that really jumps out as an amazing ability).

That isn't to say he won't have a place in the NFL. I still think he's an interesting prospect, who could provide some versatility(like for example I think he can drop in coverage a little bit) but he's not the elite talent his measureables may make him seem to be. At least I don't think so. The players he reminds me of are Patrick Kerney and Brett Keisel, which means he could be an interesting hybrid guy but he's not Jason Pierre Paul or Julius Peppers, he's not that type of guy. In terms of athletic abilities that best translate to the game of football Hunt is somewhat lacking. You can tell by looking at him too as compared with other lineman, Hunt is built more like a track athlete or a basketball player.

To be honest the most interesting thing I've heard about Hunt is a rumor that teams were considering him as a Tight End. Physically speaking that does seem a better fit for him, he's a tall guy with some movement skills(including some closing speed, which is nice for a pass rusher to have) and some size but not much explosion, change of direction, or power. It's not that unusual either as just last year the Titans converted a rookie defensive lineman Taylor Thompson to Tight End, and he's already a nice role player for them and who knows how good he could be if/when his receivng skills improve. Hunt is not a guy I would draft in the 1st round though, partially because of the concerns I've mentioned, partially because there are a lot of good talents available, and also because of his age.

Also keep in mind that even though he's 6'8 his arm length is half an inch shorter than someone like Mario Williams, which still makes him long, but not freakishly so. He's just tall. He's not really a leverage guy which is such a fundamental aspect of defensive line play. Guys who can play with both great movement and leverage are great talents as far as defensive lineman go, guys who can do only one, not so much. In Hunt's case I don't think he's an "elite" talent in either of those two areas.

The bench press is the most useless workout by the way. If I had to know how strong a guy was, tell me how much he squats. That'll tell give you some idea of how a player can play with power. If a guy's got good explosion off the line, a stocky low to the ground build with a big butt(seriously lol), and good lower body strength, he can be dominant while not benching much. Literally I've just described Brandon Mebane who is arguably the best run defender in football and is incredibly physical. But he doesn't bench that much. Doesn't need to. I couldn't care less how much a guy bench presses.
_________________
Stop slobbering over Brian Dawkins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5019
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
Hunt may be an amazing athlete in workouts but he's not in games. The guy's a bit stiff as a rusher and pursuit player, and as a straight-up run defender he's very stiff, he lacks the ability to say rush quickly outside and then quickly dash inside, that type of change of direction ability that top rushers have(including some 300+ guys like Watt for example). He also doesn't play with a whole lot of power or explosion(at least not in comparison to the so-called elite prospects, I wouldn't say he has zero explosive ability off the edge but it's not something that really jumps out as an amazing ability).

That isn't to say he won't have a place in the NFL. I still think he's an interesting prospect, who could provide some versatility(like for example I think he can drop in coverage a little bit) but he's not the elite talent his measureables may make him seem to be. At least I don't think so. The players he reminds me of are Patrick Kerney and Brett Keisel, which means he could be an interesting hybrid guy but he's not Jason Pierre Paul or Julius Peppers, he's not that type of guy. In terms of athletic abilities that best translate to the game of football Hunt is somewhat lacking. You can tell by looking at him too as compared with other lineman, Hunt is built more like a track athlete or a basketball player.

To be honest the most interesting thing I've heard about Hunt is a rumor that teams were considering him as a Tight End. Physically speaking that does seem a better fit for him, he's a tall guy with some movement skills(including some closing speed, which is nice for a pass rusher to have) and some size but not much explosion, change of direction, or power. It's not that unusual either as just last year the Titans converted a rookie defensive lineman Taylor Thompson to Tight End, and he's already a nice role player for them and who knows how good he could be if/when his receivng skills improve. Hunt is not a guy I would draft in the 1st round though, partially because of the concerns I've mentioned, partially because there are a lot of good talents available, and also because of his age.

Also keep in mind that even though he's 6'8 his arm length is half an inch shorter than someone like Mario Williams, which still makes him long, but not freakishly so. He's just tall. He's not really a leverage guy which is such a fundamental aspect of defensive line play. Guys who can play with both great movement and leverage are great talents as far as defensive lineman go, guys who can do only one, not so much. In Hunt's case I don't think he's an "elite" talent in either of those two areas.

The bench press is the most useless workout by the way. If I had to know how strong a guy was, tell me how much he squats. That'll tell give you some idea of how a player can play with power. If a guy's got good explosion off the line, a stocky low to the ground build with a big butt(seriously lol), and good lower body strength, he can be dominant while not benching much. Literally I've just described Brandon Mebane who is arguably the best run defender in football and is incredibly physical. But he doesn't bench that much. Doesn't need to. I couldn't care less how much a guy bench presses.


The explosion (or lack of) is what I think will have some coaches drooling. Anyone that's ever followed the weight events (shot / discus) in Track and Field know just how much explosion it takes to excel.

Leg drive for those guys is enormous and timed to a split second. Harness that in a ball player and you'll have something special.

Once again, I'm just playing devils advocate here. I would imagine speculation on his ceiling will be all over the board. I'm really looking forward to watching his early career.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncosFan2010


Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 1030
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with literally everything that Anti said about Hunt. He is a athletic freak, but he doesnt really have functional NFL athleticism. His build is that of a basketball player, not a football player. I would be irate if we took him before our 3rd pick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncospride95


Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 2278
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TJ McDonald or Eric Reid would both be great additions to our defensive backfield opposite Moore. What about a situation where the Broncos would trade their first for a 2nd and 4th and use their first 2nd on McDonald/Reid and the second 2nd pick on a DT/WR that slips.

Thoughts?
_________________

Props to Joe_is_the_best on the sig

Blackhawks-Broncos-Bulls-CU-Cubs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
germ-x


Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 7590
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncospride95 wrote:
I think TJ McDonald or Eric Reid would both be great additions to our defensive backfield opposite Moore. What about a situation where the Broncos would trade their first for a 2nd and 4th and use their first 2nd on McDonald/Reid and the second 2nd pick on a DT/WR that slips.

Thoughts?


I like Eric Reid. I think he is going to be a good safety in the NFL. I'm not a huge fan of McDonald and don't think he would be a good fit paired with Moore. McDonald isn't very good in coverage and made his name by making some big hits.

Mike Adams doesn't get a lot of recognition around here, but i think he is a good fit opposite Moore. While Moore was thought of as a coverage safety and he is solid in zone coverage, i don't find him to be particularly good in man. Mike Adams on the other hand is pretty solid in man coverage and i think that is valuable at the safety position.

I wouldn't have a problem with Denver trading up for Kenny Vaccaro. He is a darn good all around player and is/was very good and experienced matching up in man at the college level.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JackedUP


Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 590
Location: NE
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who is going to fall that might end up at our pick that would be a steal at #28?
Do you take a jarvis Jones if he falls way down? How about Jonathon Banks? I wasn't impressed with Sam Montgomery at all, but if he falls to our #2 pick, do you take a chance? Every year good players fall for various reasons, curious to who might end up at around our spots?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 2283
Location: Deutschland
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackedUP wrote:
So who is going to fall that might end up at our pick that would be a steal at #28?
Do you take a jarvis Jones if he falls way down? How about Jonathon Banks? I wasn't impressed with Sam Montgomery at all, but if he falls to our #2 pick, do you take a chance? Every year good players fall for various reasons, curious to who might end up at around our spots?


Jones is too big of a risk for me in the 1st, which is a shame. Damontre Moore interests me.
_________________

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
by Joe_is_the_best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 21149
Location: Capitol Cit-ay
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the 2014 draft will be stacked, what would everyone think if we traded out and got a first round pick next year?
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hibdib31


Joined: 22 Aug 2011
Posts: 1293
Location: NoVA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Given that the 2014 draft will be stacked, what would everyone think if we traded out and got a first round pick next year?


If we can do something in FA about our DTs, I'd be okay with it. I don't think it would be smart to roll out a mid/late round DT to start for the defense.

What studs are you looking at next year? I haven't even looked at the 2014 prospects.
_________________
Elite...and it's not even close.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 21149
Location: Capitol Cit-ay
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibdib31 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
Given that the 2014 draft will be stacked, what would everyone think if we traded out and got a first round pick next year?


If we can do something in FA about our DTs, I'd be okay with it. I don't think it would be smart to roll out a mid/late round DT to start for the defense.

What studs are you looking at next year? I haven't even looked at the 2014 prospects.


Theres some good OT prospects and WR prospects. A lot of DT and DE talent too
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5019
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibdib31 wrote:

If we can do something in FA about our DTs, I'd be okay with it. I don't think it would be smart to roll out a mid/late round DT to start for the defense.

.


Just curious on the DT front. Only saw Siliga once last year and he seemed like a decent space eater. Nothing special. He is young though and for a 22 YO guy is entering his 3rd NFL Season.

Any thoughts on him?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 21149
Location: Capitol Cit-ay
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
hibdib31 wrote:

If we can do something in FA about our DTs, I'd be okay with it. I don't think it would be smart to roll out a mid/late round DT to start for the defense.

.


Just curious on the DT front. Only saw Siliga once last year and he seemed like a decent space eater. Nothing special. He is young though and for a 22 YO guy is entering his 3rd NFL Season.

Any thoughts on him?


Not the guy I'd stake my hopes on if I'm a superbowl contender.
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Winder23


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 4158
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
hibdib31 wrote:

If we can do something in FA about our DTs, I'd be okay with it. I don't think it would be smart to roll out a mid/late round DT to start for the defense.

.


Just curious on the DT front. Only saw Siliga once last year and he seemed like a decent space eater. Nothing special. He is young though and for a 22 YO guy is entering his 3rd NFL Season.

Any thoughts on him?
I think he has a chance to hang on as a rotational run stopper. If he makes a leap forward this year, we can can consider part of the future moving forward. If he is still hanging on as PS material then we will know that there isn't much to develop. This is the year for alot of "developmental" guys. Either they step up or get lost.

Players I would include are

Julius Thomas
Quinton Carter
Jeremiah Johnson
Sealver Siliga
_________________
GO BRONCOS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 64 of 83

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group