Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 College prospects thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 81, 82, 83  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winder23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
Two more late round sleeper prospects I have been studying.

Mike Catapano DE 6-4 271 Princeton

He is athletically limited, but has good pass rush skills. He shows some good moves. Even though he is a bit stiff is quick enough to apply pressure offf of the edge. Has a good swim move back to the inside and has a spin move he sometimes uses. Not that great in the run game. Overpursues on nearly every run off his inside and outside shoulder.

He had 12.5 sacks last season and was voted Ivy League player of the year. Would be worth a look in rounds 6-7 or as a priority free agent.

Chris Jones DT 6-2 302 Bowling Green

12.5 sacks from the inside is a nice achievement at any level. Jones shows an ability to apply pressure with good leverage and hustle. Has a nice rip and swim move. He reminds me a little of Geno Atkins minus the tremendous burst. Jones has a good burst too and is tenacious. He would be another late rounder or priority free agent.

My friend played at Princeton a couple years back and I went to every home game. Catapano is a good player player. High motor. High character. Not the superior athlete though. I question if he would be able to do anything in the NFL with limited athletic abilities.

He isn't very smart though.

Just because you go to an Ivy League school doesnt make you football smart. Theres book smarts (which gets you in the school), theres common sense smart and then theres athletically smart. I dont know him well enough to say hes smart or not.
He isn't very athletic, but he is a good football player. I still think he could have an impact in the NFL.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
Two more late round sleeper prospects I have been studying.

Mike Catapano DE 6-4 271 Princeton

He is athletically limited, but has good pass rush skills. He shows some good moves. Even though he is a bit stiff is quick enough to apply pressure offf of the edge. Has a good swim move back to the inside and has a spin move he sometimes uses. Not that great in the run game. Overpursues on nearly every run off his inside and outside shoulder.

He had 12.5 sacks last season and was voted Ivy League player of the year. Would be worth a look in rounds 6-7 or as a priority free agent.

Chris Jones DT 6-2 302 Bowling Green

12.5 sacks from the inside is a nice achievement at any level. Jones shows an ability to apply pressure with good leverage and hustle. Has a nice rip and swim move. He reminds me a little of Geno Atkins minus the tremendous burst. Jones has a good burst too and is tenacious. He would be another late rounder or priority free agent.

My friend played at Princeton a couple years back and I went to every home game. Catapano is a good player player. High motor. High character. Not the superior athlete though. I question if he would be able to do anything in the NFL with limited athletic abilities.

He isn't very smart though.

Just because you go to an Ivy League school doesnt make you football smart. Theres book smarts (which gets you in the school), theres common sense smart and then theres athletically smart. I dont know him well enough to say hes smart or not.
He isn't very athletic, but he is a good football player. I still think he could have an impact in the NFL.

He'd be a PS guy first though. I dont think you can draft him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are talking DE's, give me Cory Lemonier or Jamie Collins. They will not be 3 down guys at first, and may never be, but they are athletic freaks who will get after the QB from the get-go. We are fine with Ayers in our base package. We need a guy that can just pin his ears back.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
If we are talking DE's, give me Cory Lemonier or Jamie Collins. They will not be 3 down guys at first, and may never be, but they are athletic freaks who will get after the QB from the get-go. We are fine with Ayers in our base package. We need a guy that can just pin his ears back.

This was my thought earlier. Let Ayers play on early downs and play Lemonier in sub packages.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:

This was my thought earlier. Let Ayers play on early downs and play Lemonier in sub packages.

I'm all in for this, Ayers can hold it down in running situations and get a Bruce Irvin like player to come in and get after the QB. Allows both guys to stay fresh longer as well and I think its our best scenario for loosing Doom.
JackedUP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see Elway find a way to trade into the early second and we end up with Cyprien, Lemonier in the second round. Then fill the rest of picks most likely with a running back, CB, DT with BPA as the strategy most likely.
germ-x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:

I like Trevardo Williams in those role better than any other prospect in the draft. Unless he learned to play LB or Denver tweaks their defensive scheme he would almost always be a situational player. However, he would be a nice backup for Von Miller at SLB and give the team a similar type of player behind him while being a situational pass rusher.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:

I like Trevardo Williams in those role better than any other prospect in the draft. Unless he learned to play LB or Denver tweaks their defensive scheme he would almost always be a situational player. However, he would be a nice backup for Von Miller at SLB and give the team a similar type of player behind him while being a situational pass rusher.

I've heard the staff views Stewart Bradley as both a MLB and SLB in addition to being a special teamer. My guess for the LB depth chart looks like this:

WLB: Woodyard, Trevathan
MLB: Irving, Mays, Johnson
SLB: Von, Bradley

Woodyard and Trevethan play in the nickel with Von at LDE.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
germ-x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
germ-x wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:

I've heard the staff views Stewart Bradley as both a MLB and SLB in addition to being a special teamer. My guess for the LB depth chart looks like this:

That's probably true. Though, i like having backups with similar skill sets that way the gameplan doesn't have to change a whole lot should a player go down with injury.

Though, even if this is the case, that doesn't mean Trevardo Williams shouldn't be under consideration. Williams is a pass rusher above all else and not only was he productive at UCONN, but is arguably one of the most explosive edge rushers in this draft. The big knock on him is that he is undersized at 6'1" 240-245 pounds. This is the biggest reason he would only be a situational player unless he learned to play more of a traditional LB for base situations or Denver tweaked their scheme a bit to get him on the field more...more of a 3/4 for example...which i don't think would be such a bad thing.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
germ-x wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:

That's probably true. Though, i like having backups with similar skill sets that way the gameplan doesn't have to change a whole lot should a player go down with injury.

Though, even if this is the case, that doesn't mean Trevardo Williams shouldn't be under consideration. Williams is a pass rusher above all else and not only was he productive at UCONN, but is arguably one of the most explosive edge rushers in this draft. The big knock on him is that he is undersized at 6'1" 240-245 pounds. This is the biggest reason he would only be a situational player unless he learned to play more of a traditional LB for base situations or Denver tweaked their scheme a bit to get him on the field more...more of a 3/4 for example...which i don't think would be such a bad thing.

Oh I don't disagree; versatility is a good thing and all great teams have niche players.

I don't know much about Williams but he sounds intriguing. From how you describe him I could and at the same time could not see him being a target for us. If he's only 245 he's too small to play DE for us and I don't see us doing anything in the draft to go after a LB, inside or outside. But, at the same time, Elway does have an affinity for players who were productive in college, regardless of their role. I don't want to equate the two but everyone had Von pegged solely as a 3-4 OLB but he's become a superstar in our base 4-3.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
I don't want to equate the two but everyone had Von pegged solely as a 3-4 OLB but he's become a superstar in our base 4-3.

Only the people who didn't want Denver to draft Von Miller. I recall discussion around the time involving germ-x actually which brought up Julian Peterson as an example of a guy who played Linebacker on base downs and moved to DE in pass rushing situations for example. In any case one should always be careful not to overestimate conventions, which unfortunately is what too much of draft discussion involves.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont get the love for this QB class. Some of these rankings are so off to me. I did some independent studying yesterday and by no means do I have Geno Smith at #1. My QB rankings are below:

1. Matt Barkley
2. Landry Jones
3. E.J. Manuel
4. Ryan Nassib
5. Geno Smith

These QB's are the only ones I would take in the first 2-rounds, if I was a QB-needy team. I think Barkleys stock took a huge hit once half his OL declared for the draft last year. He got beat up way too much. Landry Jones is better than Sam Bradford if you ask me. Hes got some really strong tape but needs to prove he can run a pro-style offense, take snaps from under-center and command a huddle. I like him as a late-1st round guy. Manuel is one of those hurry-up spreak QB's thats taking the NFL by storm. I like his arm too. Hes got quiet feet, athletic and can really drive the football. Nassib is an under-the-radar thrower. Hes got a strong arm and a Jersey boy. Hes got to be good. Geno Smith has terrible footwork at times and his arm is purely average. And people say Barkley has an average arm...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
I dont get the love for this QB class. Some of these rankings are so off to me. I did some independent studying yesterday and by no means do I have Geno Smith at #1. My QB rankings are below:

1. Matt Barkley
2. Landry Jones
3. E.J. Manuel
4. Ryan Nassib
5. Geno Smith

These QB's are the only ones I would take in the first 2-rounds, if I was a QB-needy team. I think Barkleys stock took a huge hit once half his OL declared for the draft last year. He got beat up way too much. Landry Jones is better than Sam Bradford if you ask me. Hes got some really strong tape but needs to prove he can run a pro-style offense, take snaps from under-center and command a huddle. I like him as a late-1st round guy. Manuel is one of those hurry-up spreak QB's thats taking the NFL by storm. I like his arm too. Hes got quiet feet, athletic and can really drive the football. Nassib is an under-the-radar thrower. Hes got a strong arm and a Jersey boy. Hes got to be good. Geno Smith has terrible footwork at times and his arm is purely average. And people say Barkley has an average arm...

Sorry Jersey but I absolutely have to disagree with these rankings. I see Matt Barkley being an average NFL starter at best. Landry Jones is awful. I don't see anything good about him to be completely honest. I would say in no way is his tape better than Bradford.

I like Manuel and Nassib. I also like Zac Dysert. Geno Smith, I think, is overrated but could be average in the right system.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

1. Matt Barkley
2. Landry Jones
3. E.J. Manuel
4. Ryan Nassib
5. Geno Smith

Sorry Jersey but I absolutely have to disagree with these rankings. I see Matt Barkley being an average NFL starter at best. Landry Jones is awful. I don't see anything good about him to be completely honest. I would say in no way is his tape better than Bradford.

I like Manuel and Nassib. I also like Zac Dysert. Geno Smith, I think, is overrated but could be average in the right system.

You dont have to agree. Im just throwing out what I have seen and believe.

You have the average public view of both Barkley and Jones. Im not sure why you think Barkley will be just average, I bet its because you think his arm isnt that great? Also, what do you not like about Jones? Bradford had a much better team around him than Jones did this year. The production with less talent and pressured throws that Jones made this year were not even existent in Bradfords tenure at OU.

Isnt there a poster on here thats a big Oklahoma fan? Id like to see you chime in here...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

1. Matt Barkley
2. Landry Jones
3. E.J. Manuel
4. Ryan Nassib
5. Geno Smith

You dont have to agree. Im just throwing out what I have seen and believe.

You have the average public view of both Barkley and Jones. Im not sure why you think Barkley will be just average, I bet its because you think his arm isnt that great? Also, what do you not like about Jones? Bradford had a much better team around him than Jones did this year. The production with less talent and pressured throws that Jones made this year were not even existent in Bradfords tenure at OU.

Isnt there a poster on here thats a big Oklahoma fan? Id like to see you chime in here...

I think Matt Barkley, like other SC QBs don't have it between the ears. I think he's an average athlete all around who will struggle as a professional.

Landry Jones is trash. His decision making is bad, he wilts under pressure, he didn't show me much in the way of NFL throws. I'm not really concerned about Jones v. Bradford, because Bradford was a markedly better prospect.

Thanks, Tzimisce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 74 of 83

Jump to: