Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 College prospects thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 81, 82, 83  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
924 rushing attempts over four years Shocked The last two season 356 and 307 carries. He'll turn 23 during next season. Based on these two factors, one can assume that Ball only has what... 4-5 productive years left.

Stepfan Taylor is smiliar in skill, better in pass protection. He seems like the wiser choice.

That's an awful lot of carries and in the very physical Big 10 nonetheless. I agree, I think Taylor is the better option.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that Lacy will vault into the lower 1st round once the combine happens but as of right now he is a projected mid 2nd round pick.

I hope that we do something similar to last year (Traded down, used asset we picked up to deal up in the 3rd round).

Trade down from #28 to the top 5-7 picks in the 2nd round, pick up a 4th rounder. With this pick target OG (Warford), CB (Poyer, Trufant) or DT (Short).

Then, use the 4th rounder we just picked up to trade from 60 to the middle 2nd round. Take Eddie Lacy.

After that, target a 3rd round WR. Everyone seems to love Swope. I am not a huge fan, but he is a guy that I really can see Elway falling for. I would like to get a deep threat, but Swope is a guy that will remind Elway of Stoakley. He runs amazing routes, great hands and a very willing blocker for a slot guy.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your strategy seems too realistic for it not to possibly happen. Especially with the FA additions still pending. Depending on who we bring in there, your plan may come to fruition.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
germ-x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't seem to get on the Stepfan Taylor wagon. I know there are a lot of people that like him, but i just don't see anything to get excited about. I find him to be a rich mans Lance Ball. He'll do the little things, but at the end of the day he just doesn't have enough talent as a running threat to even be under consideration for Denver.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
I just can't seem to get on the Stepfan Taylor wagon. I know there are a lot of people that like him, but i just don't see anything to get excited about. I find him to be a rich mans Lance Ball. He'll do the little things, but at the end of the day he just doesn't have enough talent as a running threat to even be under consideration for Denver.

A rich man's Lance Ball or basically what McGahee is now. I actually find the comparison of Taylor to BenJarvus Green-Ellis quite fitting. We could to better than him, but we also could to worse. Montee Ball's history has me scared off completely. So who else is left as bruiser back? Le'Veon Bell is not as refined as Taylor and Ball and maybe even too much the Brandon Jacobs type of RB for todays' NFL. Lacy had that stellar OL but now is hurt and can't prove his worth. Ellington I don't see in our system. The two remaining are Taylor and Joseph Randle. These two are the one's I'd target. Randle in the 2nd if he tests well or Taylor in the 3rd.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are big on Kawann Short, this may be good news. Good news in terms of the fact that it may lower his stock slightly and give us a better chance to have him drop to us.

Purdue DT Kawann Short will not work out at the Combine or the school's Pro Day on March 1 due to an injury.
NFL Draft legend Gil Brandt adds Short will have his own Pro Day on March 26. No details were given, but the injury is recent since Short just finished participating in Senior Bowl week. There's a lot to like to about Short, specifically his quick feet, but he tends to turn his energy off and on as he pleases.
Source: Gil Brandt
PackAtBroncos07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
924 rushing attempts over four years Shocked The last two season 356 and 307 carries. He'll turn 23 during next season. Based on these two factors, one can assume that Ball only has what... 4-5 productive years left.

Stepfan Taylor is smiliar in skill, better in pass protection. He seems like the wiser choice.

That's an awful lot of carries and in the very physical Big 10 nonetheless. I agree, I think Taylor is the better option.

I've watched all of Ball's games pretty much. Dude's got some fresh legs. I like to think I know if a RB can run. Ball looks good. Real good. Do not worry about that. He's big and he's fast and has fantastic moves, even in tight spaces. No one in the Big 10 could stop us. I'm not sure if anyone in our league, let alone the NCAA, could out-physical our line over his tenure and really I think you're overrating the overall talent of the Big 10 the last several years. It's not like he was getting beat up all the time. With the holes that our massive line created, spellings from James White and other RB's, he was not overworked save for maybe a bit towards the end of last season when he really was our only player on offense with inexperienced or bad QB play. He'd be a great RB for us!
elliot878

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
germ-x wrote:

A rich man's Lance Ball or basically what McGahee is now. I actually find the comparison of Taylor to BenJarvus Green-Ellis quite fitting. We could to better than him, but we also could to worse. Montee Ball's history has me scared off completely. So who else is left as bruiser back? Le'Veon Bell is not as refined as Taylor and Ball and maybe even too much the Brandon Jacobs type of RB for todays' NFL. Lacy had that stellar OL but now is hurt and can't prove his worth. Ellington I don't see in our system. The two remaining are Taylor and Joseph Randle. These two are the one's I'd target. Randle in the 2nd if he tests well or Taylor in the 3rd.

Comparing Stepfan Taylor and McGahee??? Stopppp. No way hes that productive as a runner.

I agree with what you said about this RB class. Not a good year to use anything more than a 6th or 7th on the RB position. Just hope you strike gold late, which is possible w running backs, we see it often.

Id rather invest a one year deal on a free agent with some size and whose shown flashes, emergency starter behind McGahee and Moreno and let those guys play their contracts out.

Just seems like such a sketchy/mediocre year for rb's in the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
germ-x wrote:

Comparing Stepfan Taylor and McGahee??? Stopppp. No way hes that productive as a runner.

I agree with what you said about this RB class. Not a good year to use anything more than a 6th or 7th on the RB position. Just hope you strike gold late, which is possible w running backs, we see it often.

Id rather invest a one year deal on a free agent with some size and whose shown flashes, emergency starter behind McGahee and Moreno and let those guys play their contracts out.

Hey, I wish we would not have to go after a RB but we unfortunately have to. If it's FA or rather high in the draft we'll see. But McGahee has turned into just as much of an injury prone RB as Moreno and as a nice little cherry on top tends to fumble in - judged by subjective observation - key moments. I like his running style and what he has done on the field while he was on the field over the last two seasons, but we need more reliable options. Cooper or Fluker at 28 (depending on whether we move Franklin to guard) and Taylor or Randle in the 2nd I could live with if we sign 1-2 of the various FA DTs which could help us. We need inside push and a versatile back, young back. The Ravens game was eye opening in that regard. We need the same key additions which brought Elway over the top. Manning needs help and McGahee and Moreno won't cut it.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
germ-x wrote:

Hey, I wish we would not have to go after a RB but we unfortunately have to. If it's FA or rather high in the draft we'll see. But McGahee has turned into just as much of an injury prone RB as Moreno and as a nice little cherry on top tends to fumble in - judged by subjective observation - key moments. I like his running style and what he has done on the field while he was on the field over the last two seasons, but we need more reliable options. Cooper or Fluker at 28 (depending on whether we move Franklin to guard) and Taylor or Randle in the 2nd I could live with if we sign 1-2 of the various FA DTs which could help us. We need inside push and a versatile back, young back. The Ravens game was eye opening in that regard. We need the same key additions which brought Elway over the top. Manning needs help and McGahee and Moreno won't cut it.

I could see guard in the first round, but it sure as hell won't be DJ Fluker. I'd be livid if it was. I have big time questions about him.

Here's a name to consider for us: Tank Carradine.

Now I know, he's coming off an ACL injury, but he was insanely talented at FSU, and depending who you listen to, a better player than probably Top 5/10 pick Bjoern Warner. I think this could definitely be the type of pick Elway makes knowing he can get a true impact guy at 28. It's a risk, but it could pay off huge. Just spitballing though.

Thanks, Tzimisce
elliot878

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
germ-x wrote:

Hey, I wish we would not have to go after a RB but we unfortunately have to. If it's FA or rather high in the draft we'll see.

Smart drafters dont take a drafts weak position in the earliest round. I consider Elway a smart drafter. You get the strength of a draft early, let someone else reach for need. Elway proved he gets this concept last year with the Osweiler pick.

Its the only position ill be somewhat upset with if we draft in the first 4 rounds. The odds of us finding a special runner in this class are much slimmer than previous years. Elway wants immediate impact in rounds 1&2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
germ-x wrote:

I could see guard in the first round, but it sure as hell won't be DJ Fluker. I'd be livid if it was. I have big time questions about him.

Now I know, he's coming off an ACL injury, but he was insanely talented at FSU, and depending who you listen to, a better player than probably Top 5/10 pick Bjoern Warner. I think this could definitely be the type of pick Elway makes knowing he can get a true impact guy at 28. It's a risk, but it could pay off huge. Just spitballing though.

Seriously Fluker is similar to Franklin coming out in that no ones sure yet if they had the quickness to stay at tackle. If were thinking Franklin doesnt have that quickness and wont develop it then we need a tackle whose a bonafide tackle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:

Tank Carradine is a very interesting prospect. Hes not better than Bjoern Warner but hes a very solid player, when healthy.

Elway/Fox has shown hes willing to take players that have come off injured seasons. In 2011, Nate Irving. In 2012, Omar Bolden. Watch a player slip due to an injury and scoop them up in later rounds. This is the main reason I wouldnt throw out Marcus Lattimore. If hes there for our 2nd round pick, dont be surprised if we take him.

Back to Carradine... IMO hes a the prototypical LE in the NFL. Hes strong at the POA but still offers quickness off the edge. Ive been pumping Israel Idonije for the last couple days, Carradine is a younger version of that. He can anchor the left side of our DL and push Wolfe inside. Im 100% on-board with moving Wolfe at DT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i just listened to the first 30 minutes of Greg Cosell on a podcast and here it is if anyone wants to listen...

http://media22.podbean.com/pb/ae1c6a7a75cb1a8979c61f7e3daf60c5/51255a5f/data/blogs25/329295/uploads/GregCosellprecombine21913.mp3

Anyway, many consider Cosell one of the best in the business.

He has just started looking at NCAA guys, but he did say around minute 20 or so that he really likes Montee Ball as well as finding Theo Reddick and Cierre Wood from Notre Dame really interesting RB's. His opinion on Stepfan Taylor was similar to my own. He does a lot of things well, but nothing special and he is a complimentary back in the NFL.
germ-x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give some more updates as well because it looks like it is an hour+ long podcast.

He started off with QB's, which i didn't pay much attention too aside from him not being particularly high on Matt Barkley.

He believes that Tyler Eifert is the top TE and worthy of a first round pick. He said he isn't saying he will be a Rob Gronkowski, but that he is a nice fit in today's NFL, he has terrific hands and can line up in multiple positions. He wasn't as high on Ertz, whom some rank ahead of Eifert, and doesn't think he is as smooth a player as Coby Fleener who was selected 34th overall at TE out of Stanford last year.

His initial response to WR Cordarrelle Patterson didn't seem to be very enthusiastic. He said he doesn't look all that explosive as a route runner and is incredibly raw. He said off tape he is more of a player with the ball in his hands. The host compared him to Brandon Marshall in this way. I won't say that Cosell necessarily agreed with this comparison, but he did say that he doesn't consider Marshall as a vertical threat or explosive player without the ball, but when he gets it he becomes a different story.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 50 of 83

Jump to: