Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 College prospects thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 81, 82, 83  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at my post from January 2011 on Andre Ellington :-

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=413297&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=510

lomaxgr wrote:
The best player on the field wasn't any of these guys though - it was true Sophomore Andre Ellington. Now that guy is as close to a Jamaal Charles clone as you will ever see. Outside of pass blocking he can do it all. He can run it up the gut, break tackles and man is he explosive. Where is this guy projected next year? He looked like a top 5 pick in this game.

Not a clue how he has progressed since then. I don't want College Football any more Sad

MUFC OK
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=413297&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=510

lomaxgr wrote:
The best player on the field wasn't any of these guys though - it was true Sophomore Andre Ellington. Now that guy is as close to a Jamaal Charles clone as you will ever see. Outside of pass blocking he can do it all. He can run it up the gut, break tackles and man is he explosive. Where is this guy projected next year? He looked like a top 5 pick in this game.

Not a clue how he has progressed since then. I don't want College Football any more Sad

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/02/andre-ellington-scouting-report/

Another RB who is intriguing and a jack of all trades like the Muscle Hamster last year or Giovani Bernard this year is OSU's Joseph Randle. Good out of the backfield, good in pass pro, good inbetween the tackles with lots of vision. Speaking of which, could you guys see us drafting an RB as an eventual replacement for Willis or are we set here for now?

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

lomaxgr wrote:

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/02/andre-ellington-scouting-report/

Another RB who is intriguing and a jack of all trades like the Muscle Hamster last year or Giovani Bernard this year is OSU's Joseph Randle. Good out of the backfield, good in pass pro, good inbetween the tackles with lots of vision. Speaking of which, could you guys see us drafting an RB as an eventual replacement for Willis or are we set here for now?

I think there's a decent chance we draft a RB in the first four rounds.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:

lomaxgr wrote:

My man lomaxgr!!!

Nice job! You should watch CFB more often. I know... I know... you are very busy with "European Football". Laughing My twitter page loves it. Ive quietly enjoyed these passionate tweets!

As for your write-up, I would love Ellington on this team. I think hes the top RB in this draft class, actually. Having him and Ronnie Hillman brings the perfect mix of speed and power to this team, an added bonus is if both can become good at pass-blocking/pass-catching.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

lomaxgr wrote:

My man lomaxgr!!!

Nice job! You should watch CFB more often. I know... I know... you are very busy with "European Football". Laughing My twitter page loves it. Ive quietly enjoyed these passionate tweets!

As for your write-up, I would love Ellington on this team. I think hes the top RB in this draft class, actually. Having him and Ronnie Hillman brings the perfect mix of speed and power to this team, an added bonus is if both can become good at pass-blocking/pass-catching.

That, however, seems to be a deficiency of his which distinguishes him from the likes of Bernard, Randle and Taylor. Other than that I haven't read anything negative about Ellington. Yet last year showed that the Broncos offense does not need speed per se, it needs vision and pass-pro above all. That is why - like some of you have mentioned before - Taylor seems like a real possibility in the mid rounds once flashier RB prospects have come off the board ahead of him.

Also, I don't know if it has been brought up already but what is your guys' take on UCLA's Franklin? He has been gaining steam for a few weeks now.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
I know... I know... you are very busy with "European Football". Laughing My twitter page loves it. Ive quietly enjoyed these passionate tweets!

Haha Embarassed Lets just say I get carried away sometimes ... I would love for some of you guys who think you have seen atmosphere before to experience being in the away support end of a Soccer rivalry game. There really is no feeling like it. Being hated by 35,000 others whilst you sing your heart out (all game, and not boring sissy chants like in American sports) is just so amazing.

Maybe it is the 'island race' in me!

But yeh - I absolutely loved Andre Ellington in almost every game I watched whilst scouting DaQuan Bowers. He was a glider with cutting and explosive ability, just like Jamaal Charles.

MUFC OK
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, maybe I just haven't seen the right plays, but like I said earlier with Margus Hunt, certain guys their athleticism just jumps out at you. Jamaal Charles to me was one of those guys, he could hit the hole so fast and was a dynamic athlete. But with Ellington, just like I said with Hunt, I just don't see it. He looks like a solid prospect but I just don't see a guy who is constantly out running defenses or breaking tackles. Frankly I'm very skeptical that Ellington is as good a prospect as say, Ronnie Hillman was.

Last edited by AntiSuperstar on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next to the usual secondary and defensive tackle talk, the report mentions this:

"Head coach John Fox reportedly wants to add size at running back with Willis McGahee entering his age-32 season."

Depending on the credibility, we now have a group of prospects targeted not only in context our educated guess. And a specification is offered as well: size.

Eddie Lacy, Giovani Bernard high - especially since this draft class is not very deep - and Le'Veon Bell in the mid rounds should be on our radar.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000138921/article/offseason-forecast-denver-broncos

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
elliot878

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really hope we don't go running back in the first four rounds. This is not a special class at the position. Last year was very obviously a special running back class, top to bottom. Sure a star running back may emerge out of this class, but the team that finds him will be lucky. Just don't see any guys in this class who will be good starters. I'd prefer we took our chances later this year if we go rb.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
Really hope we don't go running back in the first four rounds. This is not a special class at the position. Last year was very obviously a special running back class, top to bottom. Sure a star running back may emerge out of this class, but the team that finds him will be lucky. Just don't see any guys in this class who will be good starters. I'd prefer we took our chances later this year if we go rb.

With all do respect, I actually 100% disagree with this. This is THE YEAR to do it.

Think about it... McGahee and Knowshon are at the end of their respective contracts. If either one of them dont perform this season then were stuck with Ronnie Hillman as the only running back moving forward.

As BroncoinGermany said, the draft isnt the deepest but in the middle rounds its got a few quality backs. If theres ever a year to do it, this the the time. We can get a quality back in the middle rounds to partner with the strengths of Hillman. Ellington and Bell are two candidates for that job.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:

Last draft, Doug Martin flew under the radar before being regarded as the best all around back even before Richardson, who nevertheless was ranked higher because of sheer talent, intagibles and production. This year, Giovani Bernard assumes Martin's former role. 1st round may be pushing it, so if Lacy and/or Bernard are taken there by other teams ahead of us, we should not proceed with 'blindly' scrambling for the other. But if the chips fall as the may and we take one of the trio of Lacy, Bernard or Randle in the 2nd, I would not outright oppose it (saying this now, without knowing the future context of the pick). Hypothetically though, to go after an RB in the early rounds merits just as much consideration as attempts to draft DT, S and MLB do. RB is a position of need. I cannot say which factor out of the combination of McGahee's injury, Moreno's/Ronnie's effort or our OL were the the predominant reason we only had a middle of the pack type running game which often failed to sustain drives, but RB play certainly was a major reason. If we can get an upgrade here, we should make the necessary move in whichever round the FO deems sensible. DT and S ranks are ridiculously loaded this year, whereas RB is not. One can see why going after a tailback early would not be such a bad move after all. I still regret that we didn't make a clear push for Jonathan Stewart.

What one can see, though, is that we have more needs or positions where an upgrade would be welcome if one digs deeper. Like others have said before... Despite our record and generally good to very good performances as a coherent unit, we lack pure talent in several spots. To go after a MLB, a DT or S as the more immediate needs is not the sole possible way to go in the draft. And above all we cannot expect to upgrade all areas in a way we see fit. We still have a long way to go before we have become as loaded as San Francisco, which should be everyone's ideal.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like Bernard as a prospect, reminds me a little bit of MJD/Rice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
elliot878 wrote:

Last draft, Doug Martin flew under the radar before being regarded as the best all around back even before Richardson, who nevertheless was ranked higher because of sheer talent, intagibles and production. This year, Giovani Bernard assumes Martin's former role. 1st round may be pushing it, so if Lacy and/or Bernard are taken there by other teams ahead of us, we should not proceed with 'blindly' scrambling for the other. But if the chips fall as the may and we take one of the trio of Lacy, Bernard or Randle in the 2nd, I would not outright oppose it (saying this now, without knowing the future context of the pick). Hypothetically though, to go after an RB in the early rounds merits just as much consideration as attempts to draft DT, S and MLB do. RB is a position of need. I cannot say which factor out of the combination of McGahee's injury, Moreno's/Ronnie's effort or our OL were the the predominant reason we only had a middle of the pack type running game which often failed to sustain drives, but RB play certainly was a major reason. If we can get an upgrade here, we should make the necessary move in whichever round the FO deems sensible. DT and S ranks are ridiculously loaded this year, whereas RB is not. One can see why going after a tailback early would not be such a bad move after all. I still regret that we didn't make a clear push for Jonathan Stewart.

What one can see, though, is that we have more needs or positions where an upgrade would be welcome if one digs deeper. Like others have said before... Despite our record and generally good to very good performances as a coherent unit, we lack pure talent in several spots. To go after a MLB, a DT or S as the more immediate needs is not the sole possible way to go in the draft. And above all we cannot expect to upgrade all areas in a way we see fit. We still have a long way to go before we have become as loaded as San Francisco, which should be everyone's ideal.

I'm not going to go back and look it up, but it was extremely obvious looking at last years running backs class that it was similar in depth to the RB class of 2008. I said to friends and I believe I said it on here that I thought the rb class would make up the first round of fantasy drafts in a couple of years, just as the 2008 running backs class takes up a lot of the early picks in fantasy drafts. Fantasy has nothing to do with this, I know, it's just a way to demonstrate the impact this class will have, and it was clear all year that the 2012 rb class was special... Even the depth. A lot of franchise type backs in that class and it was clear around this time. My buddy was a huge Bernard Pierce fan so I was a little higher than most on him, but it was clear he'd be good, and he's shown he will be, Robert Turbin who many on here liked shows promise, the first round talent - Trent, Martin, and David Wilson was also very clear they'd be franchise backs. I didnt even know Alfred Morris or Bryce Brown existed this time last year. There was a trickle down.

This class doesn't have Depth at all, and we shouldnt be picking a running back with a pick in the first four rounds. the guys at the "top" of this class arent great and will get taken too early because of the lack of depth in this running back class. The backs who follow aren't elite or franchise talents.

This draft is a gamble taking a running back in the top 4 rounds. There's a few stacked positions in this draft, three of which are major needs for this team - DT, Slot WR, and S. We'd be much better served using our earlier picks on these positions which will have very good players available due to the depth of the class at these positions - much like we saw with very good running backs trickling down last year.

I'd rather let Moreno play his contract out, and McGahee play his career (if he only wants one more year) out than to pick a guy whose talents don't necessarily suit his draft position due to the lack of talent at the position in this years draft. If McGahee or Moreno get hurt we run Jeremiah Johnson or a cheap free agent we pick up who has the size to handle a good amount of touches. Maybe we get lucky, but the odds of us getting lucky with a DT in the 3rd or 4th round this year are much better due to the depth of the position, as opposed to rb which will have less talented players being taken earlier by needy teams.

I get the need but just like we had with the Osweiler pick last year, we need to realize the strengths of a draft class and draft accordingly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone

We're voting for Denver's pick in the first round of the draft in the Draft section of the forum. I would appreciate your votes and thoughts on this.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=513940

Cheers

GFW
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read. Always like to hear from/read something by Pat Kirwan. Here he takes a look at the free agency and draft MLB prospects:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-kirwan/21709814/2013-nfl-draft-examining-the-middle-linebacker-class

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 46 of 83

Jump to: