Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 College prospects thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 81, 82, 83  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Rhodes, Elam, Jesse Williams, and Manti Te'o were available at 28, our choice would be very hard. I'd probably select Jesse Williams.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130124/2013-nfl-mock-draft-1/?sct=uk_t12_a1

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna post this here:

I've been thinking about things I've read and tweets I've seen, combined with AAAs analysis and this is what I've came up with as an expected thought process by position.

QB: Developmental pick only

RB: If Willis McGahee is brought back, I think we go into next season with the same stable of backs as this season, sans Lance Ball plus Jeremiah Johnson. If McGahee is not brought back, I think we will take a RB (think Zac Stacy, Stepfan Taylor) in the 3rd round or so, or sign a FA like Rashad Jennings (someone I find to be very underrated)

WR: I think we are unlikely to sign a high-priced FA here. That being said, there's very little WR depth on this team. Stokley wants to come back, but that's up in the air, after that the depth sucks. Denver could use a slot guy, deep threat, or some sort of gamebreaker at WR. I think WR is unlikely in the first round unless someone dynamic falls. I think taking guys like Stedman Bailey, Quinton Patton, Markus Wheaton, Marquess Wilson, Ryan Swope, etc.... in the 2nd or 3rd round is more in line with what Denver will do.

TE: I really don't see Denver drafting one. Our TE stable is good. Tamme and Dreessen bring different things to the table, Virgil Green can block, and apparently they still have hope for Julius Thomas. I don't think they burn a high pick here, and if anything, it's a late round blocking TE.

OL: This is where things will be interesting. I personally believe we have our tackles set up. Chris Clark will be resigned to be a backup and/or 6th OL. Ramirez is good depth. We have Blake who could feasibly be depth. The question is really around Kuper, as Beadles won't be replaced. We could take a guy like Larry Warford in Round 1 (I think he'll play himself to that role), Quessenberry, who is now rising, in say Round 3 or 4, or some OG/OT/C depth somewhere along the line. We need one guy essentially, but I'm still not sure they spend a first rounder here, but it's possible.

DE: Another interesting position, largely dependent on how they see Derek Wolfe. Is he a DE/DT hybrid? Strictly one or the other? Who knows. Dumervil ain't going anywhere, I personally think they should resign Ayers. That leaves us with Doom, Ayers, Malik Jackson, and probably a resigned Jason Hunter. The thing here is that we can certainly improve pass rush from the other side. If that's the case, I could definitely see a first round DE coming out of this (Alex Okafor, Margus Hunt, Sam Montgomery, Kiki Mingo)

DT: Another position that we need players at, regardless. I think this is a position that a first round pick is likely. Even if Wolfe slides inside, one would imagine Vickerson gets resigned, but then what else? We could sign a FA like Terrence Knighton, but that may not solve the entire issue. There's a gluttony of picks to be made here (think John Jenkins, Kawann Short, Shariff Floyd, Bennie Logan and potentially others) I think this is a likely draft addressed position.

LB: I think it's pretty set in stone that ILB will be a draft pick somewhere early. Von Miller and Woodyard are on the outside, Trevathan is good depth, Steven Johnson is depth in the middle. Presumably Nate Irving will have the chance to win the job, but I'm not sure that he does. He provides depth across the LB group so he stays on. Brooking is done, Mays may very well be cut or restructured, and I doubt he starts. There are guys who are options in Rounds 1 and 2 and I hope we consider them (think Alec Ogletree, Kevin Minter, Manti Te'o, Khaseem Greene, and others)

CB: Our starters are solidified and on the surface, it doesn't seem like we need to address this high, but we may. Bailey is getting older. Harris is the best CB on the team. If we resign Tony Carter, we will not draft a CB high. Reportedly the team is high on Omar Bolden, so one would assume we'll let his development play out while we have three bodies to man the position, and a capable fourth. Maybe we bring Tracy Porter back on another 1 year deal, but I doubt it. We may bring someone in through FA, but I think there's some 1st or 2nd round potential (think Johnathan Banks, Desmond Trufant, Jordan Poyer, etc etc)

S: I think there will be an addition made here, but it could be early or late. Rahim Moore and Mike Adams will enter as starters, Moore should stay a starter, but I think Adams is who they look to replace when his deal is done. Quentin Carter is in the wings, but we need to see how he comes back from surgery, and Leonhard probably doesn't get brought back. I think an early pick here is iffy (think Kenny Vaccaro, Matt Elam, Eric Reid), but some of the potential later round guys (think DJ Swearinger, Baccari Rambo) might be better options for us going forward.

Thanks, Tzimisce
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Problem with Ansah is that he is a developmental prospect and we have a short window for success. Yes it's important to build for the future, and I think Elway has done a good job of that, but in the top 2 rounds especially we need to get players who can contribute right away. That's why I've been saying for a couple months now that if a player who can be an instant, high-impact player falls into the mid-teens we really should consider trading up for him.

Couldn't agree more with this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
If Rhodes, Elam, Jesse Williams, and Manti Te'o were available at 28, our choice would be very hard. I'd probably select Jesse Williams.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130124/2013-nfl-mock-draft-1/?sct=uk_t12_a1

Great question. Elam would be great as would Jesse Williams, but IMO Te'o is the best player at a position of high need. I would take Te'o, then Williams, Elam, then Rhodes.
BTW I would love for all of them to be available, that would be a great problem to have.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:

Absolutely not Jesse Williams at #28. That would be worse than drafting Alphonso Smith in the 2nd round, in terms of value.

Jesse Williams is a one-trick pony. He is great at eating up blockers and clocking running lanes but offers nothing to the pass rush and cant play 3-downs in the NFL. For the defense we are trying to run, I would absolutely be against that selection in the 1st round. If its the 2nd round, Id be more warm to the pick, but in the 1st that would be terrible value. We can get a better all-around player that can impact the game more than on run-downs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
jonnyj20 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Quick question jonny, is he physical enough to like the job or go stiff when he gets his 1st NFL handpunch?

I don't really question Ziggys toughness, I think he could handle the grind. I also think he has a good motor.

To me, that always seems like 90% of the battle. If a guy likes rootin' with the hogs and is physical enough to win, it just boils down to technique and coaching at that point.

The tough ones seem to make it.

To me, Wolfe is a perfect example of the above. THAT KID'S TOUGH!

AK that was a great question to ask Jonny on Ansah. It answers a lot, because as you said, after that it boils down to technique... which from what I've heard, Ansah implements what he learns into games, and is eager to learn. I just think, when you have raw players, you need to look at willingness to learn and use what you're learning to get better, and like you said, toughness to not start hating the job you're in.

If he's got the toughness, and the passion/eager to learn attitude, I give him a much higher shot at success... not saying JPP success, but shot at being a solid starter... its just how long will it take? And who will his coaches be? (the biggest factor in his developments). I'm more willing to take a risk on Ansah because of the coaches we have in place here. I trust they can develop a high upside lineman over time. I like the patience of our coaching staff when it comes to our young players - good example is Rahim Moore, how many staffs would have given up on the kid after his rookie year. Instead our coaches invested even more heavily in him. The right attitude to have to build a perennial contender.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Gonna post this here:

I've been thinking about things I've read and tweets I've seen, combined with AAAs analysis and this is what I've came up with as an expected thought process by position.

QB: Developmental pick only

RB: If Willis McGahee is brought back, I think we go into next season with the same stable of backs as this season, sans Lance Ball plus Jeremiah Johnson. If McGahee is not brought back, I think we will take a RB (think Zac Stacy, Stepfan Taylor) in the 3rd round or so, or sign a FA like Rashad Jennings (someone I find to be very underrated)

WR: I think we are unlikely to sign a high-priced FA here. That being said, there's very little WR depth on this team. Stokley wants to come back, but that's up in the air, after that the depth sucks. Denver could use a slot guy, deep threat, or some sort of gamebreaker at WR. I think WR is unlikely in the first round unless someone dynamic falls. I think taking guys like Stedman Bailey, Quinton Patton, Markus Wheaton, Marquess Wilson, Ryan Swope, etc.... in the 2nd or 3rd round is more in line with what Denver will do.

TE: I really don't see Denver drafting one. Our TE stable is good. Tamme and Dreessen bring different things to the table, Virgil Green can block, and apparently they still have hope for Julius Thomas. I don't think they burn a high pick here, and if anything, it's a late round blocking TE.

OL: This is where things will be interesting. I personally believe we have our tackles set up. Chris Clark will be resigned to be a backup and/or 6th OL. Ramirez is good depth. We have Blake who could feasibly be depth. The question is really around Kuper, as Beadles won't be replaced. We could take a guy like Larry Warford in Round 1 (I think he'll play himself to that role), Quessenberry, who is now rising, in say Round 3 or 4, or some OG/OT/C depth somewhere along the line. We need one guy essentially, but I'm still not sure they spend a first rounder here, but it's possible.

DE: Another interesting position, largely dependent on how they see Derek Wolfe. Is he a DE/DT hybrid? Strictly one or the other? Who knows. Dumervil ain't going anywhere, I personally think they should resign Ayers. That leaves us with Doom, Ayers, Malik Jackson, and probably a resigned Jason Hunter. The thing here is that we can certainly improve pass rush from the other side. If that's the case, I could definitely see a first round DE coming out of this (Alex Okafor, Margus Hunt, Sam Montgomery, Kiki Mingo)

DT: Another position that we need players at, regardless. I think this is a position that a first round pick is likely. Even if Wolfe slides inside, one would imagine Vickerson gets resigned, but then what else? We could sign a FA like Terrence Knighton, but that may not solve the entire issue. There's a gluttony of picks to be made here (think John Jenkins, Kawann Short, Shariff Floyd, Bennie Logan and potentially others) I think this is a likely draft addressed position.

LB: I think it's pretty set in stone that ILB will be a draft pick somewhere early. Von Miller and Woodyard are on the outside, Trevathan is good depth, Steven Johnson is depth in the middle. Presumably Nate Irving will have the chance to win the job, but I'm not sure that he does. He provides depth across the LB group so he stays on. Brooking is done, Mays may very well be cut or restructured, and I doubt he starts. There are guys who are options in Rounds 1 and 2 and I hope we consider them (think Alec Ogletree, Kevin Minter, Manti Te'o, Khaseem Greene, and others)

CB: Our starters are solidified and on the surface, it doesn't seem like we need to address this high, but we may. Bailey is getting older. Harris is the best CB on the team. If we resign Tony Carter, we will not draft a CB high. Reportedly the team is high on Omar Bolden, so one would assume we'll let his development play out while we have three bodies to man the position, and a capable fourth. Maybe we bring Tracy Porter back on another 1 year deal, but I doubt it. We may bring someone in through FA, but I think there's some 1st or 2nd round potential (think Johnathan Banks, Desmond Trufant, Jordan Poyer, etc etc)

S: I think there will be an addition made here, but it could be early or late. Rahim Moore and Mike Adams will enter as starters, Moore should stay a starter, but I think Adams is who they look to replace when his deal is done. Quentin Carter is in the wings, but we need to see how he comes back from surgery, and Leonhard probably doesn't get brought back. I think an early pick here is iffy (think Kenny Vaccaro, Matt Elam, Eric Reid), but some of the potential later round guys (think DJ Swearinger, Baccari Rambo) might be better options for us going forward.

Good write-up btw.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really starting to like Kasheem Green. He is an excellent cover LB who measured out very stout at the combine (6'0, 236lbs). People knock his size, but I am really liking him as a Jon Beason/Thomas Davis type LB. Speed to shoot the gap, great coverage skills and quality tackling. Not to mention he is versatile.
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think about Jon Bostic? He seems to have good instincts and a nose for the ball, and he's faster than Te'o. I'm not sure he's a game changer, but even a decent MLB would help the Broncos a ton.

He's projected to go in the 3-4 rounds.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Saying I throw fits is a bit much. I prefer to be called "passionate." And, I hate to have to keep saying this, but I am usually right.

I don't know if i would say that, lol.

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Problem with Ansah is that he is a developmental prospect and we have a short window for success. Yes it's important to build for the future, and I think Elway has done a good job of that, but in the top 2 rounds especially we need to get players who can contribute right away. That's why I've been saying for a couple months now that if a player who can be an instant, high-impact player falls into the mid-teens we really should consider trading up for him. Considering that we moved from #25 to #36 last year for only a high 4th should mean that we could move up relatively cheaply (that or Elway got taken to cleaners for the trades he made last year).

The term "impact" or "high impact" i always associate with a dominant player. A player that is one of the best in the league at his position and i completely agree with you that Denver needs to target such a player, especially defensively. It should be the target in every draft. It doesn't mean it is always possible, but the options should always be explored.

However, i really don't care if it takes a season or 2 for a player to get to that point. I get the feeling that you and others on this forum would much prefer settling for higher floor/lower ceiling players (oddly enough this is what you claimed was a downfall of McDaniels) because the team needs to make moves to win now.

Last edited by germ-x on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
JackedUP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:

Williams isn't a difference maker..yes he's big and strong but to me he doesn't make enough plays to seperate himself from a mid round DT.
germ-x

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned Denver had shown interest in Florida International's Jonathan Cyprien and i have been reading that he had one of the best weeks at the senior bowl.
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG Larry Warford Kentucky, is pushing men around at senior bowl. He is a mauler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
I mentioned Denver had shown interest in Florida International's Jonathan Cyprien and i have been reading that he had one of the best weeks at the senior bowl.

I hadn't heard much about him before this comment honestly, but I really like him as a prospect the more I hear about him.

Thanks, Tzimisce
germ-x

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ansah is hands down the best defensive prospect in this draft and easily worth a top 5 pick in this draft. His size, explosion, speed, and power without development will make him as good as guys like Alex Okafor, Sam Montgomery, and the likes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 39 of 83

Jump to: