Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 College prospects thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 81, 82, 83  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
bobdevine wrote:
Ohio State defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins just declared that he'll enter the draft.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/ohio-state-defensive-tackle-johnathan-hankins-says-hell-leave-early-to-be-taken-in-nfl-draft/2012/12/10/1cefc21c-4302-11e2-8c8f-fbebf7ccab4e_story.html

Hankins would be a good pick for the Broncos, but, he'll probably be taken before the Broncos spot. He looks likely to be picked in the top-20.

I'd rsther we spend our #1 on a Matt Elam on the defensive side or Barrett Jones on the offensive. I don't think a bottom 1st DT would have much of an effect on the team.

Matt Elam is going to be a very, very good player and I'd love him on this team. That being said there's no way we pick him, IMO. He may be gone by then, and I get the feeling Denver's safety situation is not bad for now. Rahim Moore has grown in a hurry and I thinkQ can be alright when he gets back.

I think RB or WR is our first rounder

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
bobdevine wrote:
Ohio State defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins just declared that he'll enter the draft.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/ohio-state-defensive-tackle-johnathan-hankins-says-hell-leave-early-to-be-taken-in-nfl-draft/2012/12/10/1cefc21c-4302-11e2-8c8f-fbebf7ccab4e_story.html

Hankins would be a good pick for the Broncos, but, he'll probably be taken before the Broncos spot. He looks likely to be picked in the top-20.

I'd rsther we spend our #1 on a Matt Elam on the defensive side or Barrett Jones on the offensive. I don't think a bottom 1st DT would have much of an effect on the team.

Matt Elam is going to be a very, very good player and I'd love him on this team. That being said there's no way we pick him, IMO. He may be gone by then, and I get the feeling Denver's safety situation is not bad for now. Rahim Moore has grown in a hurry and I thinkQ can be alright when he gets back.

This won't happen. I have never witnessed that little hype concerning RBs. All of them are generally ranked 2nd to 3rd round, and even the 2nd rounders such as Bernard, Lacy or Ellington are listed there because of the need of teams around at that point, not because of their sure-fire 2nd round talent on a general positional ranking.

Regarding us, I have a hard time figuring out our draft priorities this year. There does not seem to be a primary need, a position we really have to go after, just potential depth selections.

Of course guys like Stokley, Bannan, Mays and Brooking have to be replaced. But we have done a good job with what we have. Guys around here criticize guys like Beadles and Walton, yet others are satisfied with their play. Mike Adams has played very underrated this year, Moore is improved and Carter is coming back after the season. Moreno and Hillman are getting better and are able to carry the load together in place of McGahee. Champ is getting up there in age yet we have Harris and Carter really stepping up in place of Porter. DJ (if we retain him) can man the middle. I might dare to say that there is not one position where we are really, really bad at. JDR has done a tremendous job putting players in position to succeed no matter their age or draft status. It is not like we have a 2011 safety, 2009 running back, a 2008 linebacker situation at hand. What this leaves us with is that we sign younger depth players through the FA and later rounds of the draft and can really look for a true luxury, impact pick with our 1st rounder.

Hence, with us ultimately keeping Clady, Harris and perhaps even Carter I think our actual real needs are WR and MLB. And since the one MLB of first round potential is long gone before we pick, it might indeed just be like you said: we pick a wideout first.

So, after the FA, in which we will surely sign a low-profile yet solid DT, and looking at the Draft, where you always get underrated OL prospects in later rounds, I would go WR first, and MLB in the 2nd, as there a a couple of 'Backer prospects to be had at good value. I wish we would have gotten another high effort type DT in the last draft, namely Mike Martin. Nevertheless, these are the type of guys you can get in the middle rounds. So with that being said,

1) WR: Austin, Williams
2) MLB: Minter, Skov, Brown, Mosely
3) DT: Sly Williams, Spence
4) S: Elam, Rhodes, Vaccaro, Rambo

would be my draft list for rounds 1-3 in terms of position priority. Yet like I said, I have no clue how to order them across their respective positions. What to do in the first if Austin, Elam and Rhodes are still to around? The MLBs are clear 2nd round material for me, but what to do if Skov, Spence and Vaccaro are around at the end of the 2nd? No idea.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best

Last edited by BroncoinGermany on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
bobdevine wrote:

This won't happen. I have never witnessed that little hype concerning RBs. All of them are generally ranked 2nd to 3rd round, and even the 2nd rounders such as Bernard, Lacy or Ellington are listed there because of the need of teams around at that point, not because of their sure-fire 2nd round talent on a general positional ranking.

Regarding us, I have a hard time figuring out our draft priorities this year. There does not seem to be a primary need, a position we really have to go after, just potential depth selections.

Of course guys like Stokley, Bannan, Mays and Brooking have to be replaced. But we have done a good job with what we have. Guys around here criticize guys like Beadles and Walton, yet others are satisfied with their play. Mike Adams has played very underrated this year, Moore is improved and Carter is coming back after the season. Moreno and Hillman are getting better and are able to carry the load together in place of McGahee. Champ is getting up there in age yet we have Harris and Carter really stepping up in place of Porter.

Ultimately keeping Clady, Harris and perhaps even Carter in Denver, I think our actual real needs are WR and MLB.

After the FA, in which we will surely sign a low-profile yet solid DT, and looking at the Draft, where you always get underrated OL prospects in later rounds, I would agree with you that we go WR first, and MLB in the 2nd, as there a a couple of 'Backer prospects to be had at good value. I wish we would have gotten another high effort type DT in the last draft, namely Mike Martin. Nevertheless, these are the type of guys you can get in the middle rounds. So with that being said,

WR: Austin, Williams
MLB: Minter, Skov, Brown, Mosely
DT: Sly Williams, Spence
S: Elam, Rhodes, Vaccaro, Rambo

would be my draft list for rounds 1-3. Yet like I said, I have no clue how to order them across their respective positions. What to do in the first if Austin, Elam and Rhodes are still to around? The MLBs are clear 2nd round material for me, but what to do if Skov, Spence and Vaccaro are around at the end of the 2nd? No idea.

Mosely is not a 4-3 LBer.

When are people going to realize that Alabama LBers are a traditional 3-4 LBer and really struggle in coverage. Mosely would be a terrible pick for this defense.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
bobdevine wrote:

Of course guys like Stokley, Bannan, Mays and Brooking have to be replaced. But we have done a good job with what we have. Guys around here criticize guys like Beadles and Walton, yet others are satisfied with their play. Mike Adams has played very underrated this year, Moore is improved and Carter is coming back after the season. Moreno and Hillman are getting better and are able to carry the load together in place of McGahee. Champ is getting up there in age yet we have Harris and Carter really stepping up in place of Porter.

Ultimately keeping Clady, Harris and perhaps even Carter in Denver, I think our actual real needs are WR and MLB.

After the FA, in which we will surely sign a low-profile yet solid DT, and looking at the Draft, where you always get underrated OL prospects in later rounds, I would agree with you that we go WR first, and MLB in the 2nd, as there a a couple of 'Backer prospects to be had at good value. I wish we would have gotten another high effort type DT in the last draft, namely Mike Martin. Nevertheless, these are the type of guys you can get in the middle rounds. So with that being said,

WR: Austin, Williams
MLB: Minter, Skov, Brown, Mosely
DT: Sly Williams, Spence
S: Elam, Rhodes, Vaccaro, Rambo

would be my draft list for rounds 1-3. Yet like I said, I have no clue how to order them across their respective positions. What to do in the first if Austin, Elam and Rhodes are still to around? The MLBs are clear 2nd round material for me, but what to do if Skov, Spence and Vaccaro are around at the end of the 2nd? No idea.

Mosely is not a 4-3 LBer.

When are people going to realize that Alabama LBers are a traditional 3-4 LBer and really struggle in coverage. Mosely would be a terrible pick for this defense.

Disagree on your overstatement of Mosely. He is better at stopping the run, but he can play in a 4-3. Nico Johnson is the better LB in Pass Coverage. While the Alabama LB's have their roles, they are solid all-around football players. I would have no reservations about Mosely

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drafttek (http://www.drafttek.com/2013-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp) has us drafting...

Round 1: TE Tyler Eifert (alternate pick: Kevin Minter; Nico Johnson) - with S Matt Elam, CB David Amerson, WR Robert Woods and WR DeAndre Hopkins still on board

Round 2: DT Sharrif Floyd (alternate pick: Sheldon Richardson; Shayne Skov) - with WR Cordarrelle Patterson still on board

Round 3: QB/RB/WR Denard Robinson (alternate pick: Montee Ball; Joseph Randle) - with WR Da'Rick Rogers, DT Bennie Logan and TE Zach Ertz still on board

Round 4: RB Christine Michael (alternate pick: Knile Davis; A.J. McCarron) - with ILB Kevin Reddick still on board

Your thoughs on this?

EDIT:

After giving it some thought, the perfect draft in the scenario above would be: Elam, Skov, Logan, Davis.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
bobdevine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
Hence, with us ultimately keeping Clady, Harris and perhaps even Carter I think our actual real needs are WR and MLB. And since the one MLB of first round potential is long gone before we pick, it might indeed just be like you said: we pick a wideout first.

Sounds right. To get a sense of need, imagine if one of the starting WRs got hurt. Not much quality depth behind those two.

A possible mock draft is:
Round 1 - Robert Woods, WR. A fast receiver who might plug into the slot.
Round 2 - Kevin Minter, MLB.

Michael Mauti (Penn State) is a possibility but after 2 knee injuries, it's hard to take him very early in the draft. If he's still there in the 4th round, he would be worth a look. Skip in the 2nd.

Nico Johnson is often ranked as a second rounder but he looks like a 3-4 LB that doesn't have the speed for pass defense. Skip.

The team also needs depth for the O-line and another big-body DT.

Last edited by bobdevine on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:27 am; edited 3 times in total
Donut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:

It's working out pretty well in NE Wink McClain failed because of his mental state. he didnt care, obviously, and honestly was having issues shedding and just recognizing play.

Of the Bama LBers of last 3 teams only you have Hightower, McClain, Reamer, Upshaw, and Harris
Hightower - Solid Lber in 4-3 and improving.
McClain- failed but like I said above he didnt care and couldnt read plays and wasn't smart player. I cant say he'd do better in 3-4. He imo isnt worth picking up unless desperate.
Reamer- UDFA for a reason, not even a PS guy. Was in a 3-4 in camp.
Upshaw - Not sure how well he's playing in Balt. Has a few sacks but my worry w/ him was his short arms.
Harris - UDFA and bouncing around PSs.
I dont see evidence for them not being able to play in 4-3 because of Bama's 3-4.
BroncoinGermany wrote:
Drafttek (http://www.drafttek.com/2013-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp) has us drafting...

Round 1: TE Tyler Eifert (alternate pick: Kevin Minter; Nico Johnson) - with S Matt Elam, CB David Amerson, WR Robert Woods and WR DeAndre Hopkins still on board

Round 2: DT Sharrif Floyd (alternate pick: Sheldon Richardson; Shayne Skov) - with WR Cordarrelle Patterson still on board

Round 3: QB/RB/WR Denard Robinson (alternate pick: Montee Ball; Joseph Randle) - with WR Da'Rick Rogers, DT Bennie Logan and TE Zach Ertz still on board

Round 4: RB Christine Michael (alternate pick: Knile Davis; A.J. McCarron) - with ILB Kevin Reddick still on board

Your thoughs on this?

EDIT:

After giving it some thought, the perfect draft in the scenario above would be: Elam, Skov, Logan, Davis.

Maybe I'm just really far behind in my predraft scouting ect, but this looks like an extremely unrealistic mock.
Am I the only one that doesnt like drafting WRs in the first? Obviously I have exceptions but for most part I'd rather not use a first on a WR unless its an AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones type talent and that's not there at bottom of the first.
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Robert Woods is around when we are picking, it should be a no brainer.

What AAA is saying is completely right, we need impact playmakers, we have the depth. This is a great draft to grab the playmaker we need, ESPECIALLY at WR where the draft is pretty good.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:

What AAA is saying is completely right, we need impact playmakers, we have the depth. This is a great draft to grab the playmaker we need, ESPECIALLY at WR where the draft is pretty good.

Haven't followed USC but I heard that he was supposedly overrated and not that great of a route runner, which would be THE skill a WR in a Manning offense must have.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind the following:

One of the top ILB: Ogletree, Te'o, Minter for first found pick

A top DT: for second round pick

One of the TN WRs: Third Round

Top Avail. Rb: Top RB available in the fourth.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Haven't followed USC but I heard that he was supposedly overrated and not that great of a route runner, which would be THE skill a WR in a Manning offense must have.
He's good but not as good as he looked last year he looked better because he was the #1 option. Once Lee came into his own it was clear who was the superior player.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He's good but not as good as he looked last year he looked better because he was the #1 option. Once Lee came into his own it was clear who was the superior player.

Give me Markus Wheaton in the 2nd all day over Woods in the 1st.

If we are going to pick a DT, we need to take one with our 1st or trade down and take one in the high 2nd. This draft is top heavy with DT talent, and IMO the top guys will be gone by the mid 2nd round, at latest. I hate the mid round DT depth.

I would also like us to target a CB to take Porter's place, as he will walk.
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

He's a good route runner. He's been overshadowed by Marquise Lee. I wouldn't mind Justin Hunter either. Terrance Williams, Cordarelle Patterson, Da'Rick Rogers, Markus Wheaton, Marquess Wilson, the list goes on.

Thanks, Tzimisce
bobdevine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Give me Markus Wheaton in the 2nd all day over Woods in the 1st.

That's a possibility. Wheaton is a speedster and would be a good slot receiver.

What about Tavon Austin? He's small but very productive. My guess is that Austin might be a 1st rounder but could still be available in the second round.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really won't be surprised at who ever we pick #1. We're about as close to being able to pick BPA as we've been for years.

That said, I do believe they'd like to get a starter out of their 1st. I like to see us pick up a WR in the later rounds but not the 1st. Barring injury to a starter thats one position where a rookie has basically no chance to start or really see significant time.

OT,OG, RB, SS, MLB are a few of the positions where I could see a rookie starting and having an impact.

Outside of those spots I think anyone we pick will be developmental his 1st year and slowly work his way into the line up. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 21 of 83

Jump to: