Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 College prospects thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 81, 82, 83  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
germ-x

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned somewhere some guys to keep an eye on were Michigan State DE William Gholston and Purdue DT Kawann Short.

Well i was bored this weekend and went back and watched some of the games i still had DVR'd to look at some of the prospects for next year, i had 2 Michigan State games saved and watched those 2. It was Michigan St vs Michigan and Michigan State vs Georgia (bowl game).

William Gholston is a stud and i expect him to break out even more this year. If he has the season i expect and Denver has a successful season he probably won't be available where Denver selects. For those who don't know, he is Vernon Gholston's brother and possess a similar kind of freakish build that his brother has, though bigger at 6'6" 275+ pounds. Quinton Coples went in the top 20 picks and i like Gholston has a DE prospect better than i do Coples.

Another player that caught my eye from Michigan State was CB Johnny Adams. I noticed Mel Kiper has him rated in his initial top 25 big board, but others have him as a 2nd/3rd round pick. Adams was very impressive. You can see that he is slim, but he attacks the football and those carrying the football. It doesn't look like he has terrific speed, but has very good ball skills and isn't afraid to mix it up in the running game. From those 2 games i think he is a nickel CB at this point, but has the makings to be a darn good one.

Jarvis Jones is ranked highly by just about everyone and in the MSU/Georgia game you can see why. He is hands down a top 10 pick right now and unless he has an injury i don't expect that to change. He doesn't possess Von Miller's burst or explosiveness, but he is no slob in those areas either and i could see him drawing similar comparisons.

I also went back and watched the Championship game from a year ago and wasn't all that impressed with the DE tandem from LSU, Mingo and Montgomery. You can see that both have a terrific set of physical tools, but i can't help but think both are rated highly based off of projection/potential rather than what they have actually done on a football field. I thought LSU's young DT tandem of Michael Brockers and Bennie Logan (who is eligible for the 2013 draft) were more impressive in that game than the 2 DE's whom most rank as top 10 picks for 2013.
broncos67

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

I'm not so sure Mingo goes Top 10. I actually see he and Montgomery coming in in the second half of round one, and I think Mingo could slip to Round 2.

I like Kawann Short though.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of overviews of the 2013 draft class.

For college laymen like myself a real treat. The player comparisons make the respective prospect more tangible. Also, a fellow German - Björn Werner - creating havoc for the Seminoles. Interesting. Cool

As of now, the position groups of DE, DT and LB have been posted. More to follow in the next days...

LB: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a7b04e/article/barkevious-mingo-manti-teo-highlight-top-college-linebackers

DT: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a74b68/article/johnathan-hankins-star-lotulelei-head-college-defensive-tackles

DE: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a6cdec/article/texas-jackson-jeffcoat-headlines-top-college-defensive-ends

Who do you guys have on the Broncos' radar for 2013?

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
by Joe_is_the_best
Winder23

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One player I will be watching is Von Miller's old teammate Sean Porter. The Aggies are getting rid of the 3-4 andgoing to a 4-3. Porter should be playing the weakside, and I think he will transition very well.
broncos67

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after this news, time to start looking at defensive ends.

Thanks, Tzimisce
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Brandon Jenkins and Bjourn Werner. Montgomery and Wingo are undersized and LSU Defensive Lineman haven't been very special lately.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
I like Brandon Jenkins and Bjourn Werner. Montgomery and Wingo are undersized and LSU Defensive Lineman haven't been very special lately.

Mingo is undersized? He's bigger than Von. And from what I have seen I might be just as quick off the snap.

by Joe_is_the_best
germ-x

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually not a huge fan at this point of the pass rushers in this class, for the 4/3 anyway. Most of them are based on projection, take Mingo and Montgomery for example, those guys would get ravaged against an NFL running game. Until they bulk up and show the ability to play the run i would pass on Mingo, Montgomery, Jenkins, and Lemonier (just to name a few) unless they fell so far it was worth the risk.

I am much more a fan of the strong side ends in this class than i am the guys who flash the pass rush. I love Gholston, Werner, and Hunt out of this class. All 3 project as strong side ends, but i do think all 3 could be very good all around players. I don't think that is a bad thing with Von Miller on the other side. To add, Fox/Del Rio have implemented big DE's for much of their careers.
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:

Mingo is undersized? He's bigger than Von. And from what I have seen I might be just as quick off the snap.
Actually Von said he's going to play at 252 this year in a Mini Camp Interview on the DB Website. And Von plays Linebacker so it's irrelevant regardless.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
I am actually not a huge fan at this point of the pass rushers in this class, for the 4/3 anyway. Most of them are based on projection, take Mingo and Montgomery for example, those guys would get ravaged against an NFL running game. Until they bulk up and show the ability to play the run i would pass on Mingo, Montgomery, Jenkins, and Lemonier (just to name a few) unless they fell so far it was worth the risk.

I am much more a fan of the strong side ends in this class than i am the guys who flash the pass rush. I love Gholston, Werner, and Hunt out of this class. All 3 project as strong side ends, but i do think all 3 could be very good all around players. I don't think that is a bad thing with Von Miller on the other side. To add, Fox/Del Rio have implemented big DE's for much of their careers.
The best Pass Rusher he ever had in Jacksonville was Reggie Hayward. Laughing

When he was in JAX, the pass rush was always their problem.
germ-x

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
germ-x wrote:

The best Pass Rusher he ever had in Jacksonville was Reggie Hayward. Laughing

When he was in JAX, the pass rush was always their problem.

In the later part of Del Rio's reign in Jacksonville defense was a problem, but through his first 4 or 5 years Jacksonville had one of the better defenses in football.

You could say it was because of Mike Smith (though as an HC his defense and team in general have been soft and finesse), either way, they employed a big defensive front and DE's and were capable of creating sacks throughout their front 7. They may not have had a perennial 10-15 sack guy, but they had numerous players with 4,5,6,7, and 8.

Luckily for Denver they have an elite pass rusher in Von Miller whom (crossing fingers) should be here for the next decade. I don't think it would be a bad idea at all to put a well rounded guy in front of him nor opposite him. IMO, it just makes the defense more well rounded, which is something i think Fox (and Elway, the '97 and '98 Super Bowl teams weren't all that different defensively) are looking for.

Though, i think all of this talk is premature. Unless Elvis Dumervil serves prison time (which i doubt) he isn't going anywhere any time soon.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
You could say it was because of Mike Smith (though as an HC his defense and team in general have been soft and finesse),

It was because of Mike Smith.

Also the Falcons defense is hardly soft. I don't know where you get that from. They have plenty of small and finesse players, but to label them as soft is a real misnomer. The Falcons are a team full of small, but feisty hardworking type defensive players(like Peters, Grimes, Biermann, Babineaux, Decoud) and fairly physical two down types(Lofton, Moore, Peters). Abraham is about the only exception and I wouldn't even call him "soft". They may not have super physical Linebackers that are among the league's hardest hitters(then again, outside of Daryl Smith every Jaguars Linebacker hasn't been very physical either and then again again I can't think of too many modern teams that don't have finesse Linebackers) like last year's Texans or have a dominant up front player but they are far from soft. I mean if the Falcons are soft, that means the Giants for example must be cream puffs.

The Falcons offense is where that team is soft.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
germ-x wrote:
You could say it was because of Mike Smith (though as an HC his defense and team in general have been soft and finesse),

Also the Falcons defense is hardly soft. I don't know where you get that from. They have plenty of small and finesse players, but to label them as soft is a real misnomer. The Falcons are a team full of small, but feisty hardworking type defensive players(like Peters, Grimes, Biermann, Babineaux, Decoud) and fairly physical two down types(Lofton, Moore, Peters). Abraham is about the only exception and I wouldn't even call him "soft". They may not have super physical Linebackers that are among the league's hardest hitters(then again, outside of Daryl Smith every Jaguars Linebacker hasn't been very physical either and then again again I can't think of too many modern teams that don't have finesse Linebackers) like last year's Texans or have a dominant up front player but they are far from soft. I mean if the Falcons are soft, that means the Giants for example must be cream puffs.

Agreed! What has hampered ATL is a below average OL and the glorified second coming of Hasselbeck. The defense has been underrated by most accounts. They have had key pieces all over the place, shored up their secondary. The only component which is still missing is a legit pass rusher.

by Joe_is_the_best
germ-x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
germ-x wrote:

That was a poor word choice, I wasn't meaning it in the sense that they play soft. I have been forced to use my phone and it is a pain in the butt trying to look stuff up on it so this is off memory, but I was meaning it in the sense that the Falcons lack a killer instinct. I mean correct me if I am wrong, like I said I don't feel like wasting the time to go look on my phone, but since Smith has been there they have been a talented team that seems to be on the brink, but something is missing. To me it seems they lack the instinct to bury someone or the intestinal fortitude to win the tough games.

Don't get me wrong I like what Smith has done there. The Falcons are a talented team capable of beating anybody, they just don't, yet anyway.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
That was a poor word choice, I wasn't meaning it in the sense that they play soft. I have been forced to use my phone and it is a pain in the butt trying to look stuff up on it so this is off memory, but I was meaning it in the sense that the Falcons lack a killer instinct. I mean correct me if I am wrong, like I said I don't feel like wasting the time to go look on my phone, but since Smith has been there they have been a talented team that seems to be on the brink, but something is missing. To me it seems they lack the instinct to bury someone or the intestinal fortitude to win the tough games.

Don't get me wrong I like what Smith has done there. The Falcons are a talented team capable of beating anybody, they just don't, yet anyway.

Well no question Smith shares plenty of blame for Playoff failings. One can point to some of the calls in critical short yardage situations as big mistakes.

I actually think the Falcons are a fundamentally sound team whose talent level isn't as high as maybe some think. Matt Ryan is a solid Quarterback but he has plenty of limitations. Tony Gonzalez to me is highly overrated and wouldn't put up great stats in most offenses. The Offensive Line is unspectacular and Michael Turner has seriously declined. The Wide Receivers are probably the most impressive aspect of that team, but there the Falcons were also limited by the fact that Jones was a rookie last year.

To me, while they're a decent defense, they're so far from a dominant one and cannot hope to match against top offensive units. In essence the Falcons are still more of an offensive-oriented team but because of some limitations(an O-Line and QB both who imo are not really ready to lead such a pass heavy almost Colts-esque offense, and a weak running game are the main reasons) they cannot execute to the same degree against well prepared Playoff teams. Or in short, they're a good execution team and not a physically talented, or dominating type who have lots of players that force defenses to adjust to them. If they were a great execution team as opposed to a good one(that's the difference between Matt Ryan and Peyton Manning, and it's a big one) they could be a contender.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 3 of 83

Jump to: