Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cassel vs the play clock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Cassel vs the play clock Reply with quote

SO... I've been thinking about something after listening to some calls onn the radio the other day.

First let me state form those of you not in KC.. the feelings about Cassel by the local fanbase is pretty far down.

On 610am they were taking calls about what will bring season tickets sales back up and the large number of comments revolved around too high a price for a team with no QB. The other day they fielded calls about why folks dont believe in Cassel.

On 810am there's been discussions abouit our 52 versus Denver's and the difference Manning will make.. basically talking about QB importance.. along with blasts on Pioli for improving the roster but ingnoring the QB.

What is clear.. Cassel is not getting a pass around KC anymore. He has a line, he has weapons, and he has a defense to keep games in reach.

I almost called the other night as I wanted to add my biggest issue with Cassel (his arm and the fact that he knows it sucks so he doesnt attempt a LOT of throws that are there to attempt) but in doing so I was thinking of the flip side and why maybe.... just maybe.. this year could be better for Cassel.

Bigs.. BIGS... I know.. I know all the debates we had in the weekly post game threads of 2009... it's ok buddy.. breathe deep.. I haven't completely flipped. I'm just offering a possibility here.

As has been said many times (including by me) Cassel sucks (at many things) at reading a defense. Many on this forum have accurately caled him a 1 read QB!

But.. remember Haley is gone which also means his constant interference in the live play call is gone. For the final 3 games last season one of the biggest changes in our offense was the time Kyle orton was afforded PRE SNAP to look at the defense.

What if our scrubby 1 read QB starts making some pre snap decisions that he never had time to make before? Maybe just possibly this will afford him the time to pick a better first option pre snap and thus add more opportunity to make plays post snap.

Outside of getting a legit look at Stanzi this OTA season, TC, and pre-season.. there is no other facet of this offense I'm more curious about than Daboll's affect vs what we had with Haley. Are we rushing to the LOS again or are we moving crisply from the huddle with time to look over the defense?

I still don't ever think Cassel will be special.. but maybe.. this facet can help him in not holding back the 52 we are all so excited about!

Thoughts?
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Stats: Irrelevant Status: Chief family for life!
Get well soon EB29!!
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishful thinking and nothing more IMO. Sorry man, but I just don't see any way that Cassel won't hold us back against good teams.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. I'm holding out hope that he'll somehow find a way to navigate himself out of his own rectum, but I'm not confident in his ability to even do THAT.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly as apprehensive as you guys.. but if our 52 is as good as their potential teases to be.. we just need Cassel to be better than what we saw in 2010.

Enter.. more time pre snap to read and make a play post snap. Think of the Patriots team.. Cassel was better that year than his entire tenure with the Chiefs.. against a first place 16-0 schedule no less!

Honestly.. I cannot believe I'm even buying this at all.. but.. I am just a little bit. You know the Patriots don't run a sloppy offense ala Todd the mistake Haley.. Cassel was in a much better offensive situation pre snap every play!!!

Let me state.. I truly hope Stanzi wins out some how this pre-season... but if we have to prepare for Cassel..

.. maybe this can give a little hope that it will be better than we expect with Cassel as QB1 in 2012.
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Stats: Irrelevant Status: Chief family for life!
Get well soon EB29!!
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassel's always had enough to look good, he just has never had an actual complete team EVERYWHERE around him, but few QB's ever actually do. People simply supported him because they wanted to believe in Pioli and the team and the excuses that he didn't have enough around him were lame...It was always clear (to me) his defense reading and arm simply would never be good enough.

Legit QB's show you or atleast give you moments they can be good no matter what the circumstances...Cassel never did that.

As for doing better than 2010. there are about 40-45 QB's who could succeed and put up nice numbers with this KC team. I expect his stats to be very good and he's not bad enough to hold this team under 20+ pts a game. There are simply too many weapons and with the improved line and then the time given him from a presumed top 5 running game, there will be some big time scoring game. However, he won't come close to getting the most out of this team.
Desmond

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
As for doing better than 2010. there are about 40-45 QB's who could succeed and put up nice numbers with this KC team.

Please post this list.
kingseanjohn

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassel this year will perform near 2009 standards IMO.... But he still is a QB that will never LEAD a team to a Superbowl victory.

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: Jamaal Charles
Carries:133/Yds:692/TD:8/YPC:5.2
Rec:22/Yds:148/TD:2
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desmond wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
As for doing better than 2010. there are about 40-45 QB's who could succeed and put up nice numbers with this KC team.

Please post this list.

Every presumed starter minus possibly Gabbert and Tannehill (but I wouldn't doubt them with a great supporting cast). That's like 30 right there...only need 10 more and two of them are on KC's roster.

Stanzi
Quinn
Tavaris Jackson
Vince Young
Kyle Orton
Matt Leinert
Tyler Thigpen
Shaun Hill
Jason Campbell
Josh Johnson
Ryan Mallet
John Skelton
David Garrard
TJ Yates
Chad Henne
Matt Moore

There are a couple unknowns there, but I believe pretty much all those guys could put up numbers comparable or better than Cassel with this team.

Last edited by ArrowheadRage58 on Sun May 06, 2012 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
brawl.kc

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is who we thought he was.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brawl.kc wrote:
He is who we thought he was.

Someone who shouldn't be allowed to hold Tyler Thigpen's jock? I agree.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure more time will help. It could just result in him over-analyzing things, or dwelling on whatever throw he just missed. At least before he was busy trying to cipher through the 3 play callers. Now he's gonna have 10 seconds or more between each play for reality to set in.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Desmond

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Desmond wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:

Please post this list.

Every presumed starter minus possibly Gabbert and Tannehill (but I wouldn't doubt them with a great supporting cast). That's like 30 right there...only need 10 more and two of them are on KC's roster.

Stanzi
Quinn
Tavaris Jackson
Vince Young

Kyle Orton
Matt Leinert
Tyler Thigpen
Shaun Hill
Jason Campbell
Josh Johnson

Ryan Mallet
John Skelton
David Garrard
TJ Yates
Chad Henne

Matt Moore

There are a couple unknowns there, but I believe pretty much all those guys could put up numbers comparable or better than Cassel with this team.

Bolded for lulz.

Also, there is a lot of revisionism regarding Tyler Thigpen. He was the best-looking girl on a corner in a run-down part of Reno, Nevada during that stretch in 2008. The only ups he had on Cassel was mobility, that was it.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had an actual arm instead of a noodle...

Laugh all you want, you obviously bolded everyone but the guys you like including Mallet and Stanzi, who haven't played a down yet. I'm not saying I don't think those guys can't do it, it's just absurd to not include them with some of the more established guys that you bolded.

Last edited by ArrowheadRage58 on Mon May 07, 2012 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Desmond

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
He had an actual arm instead of a noodle...

Laugh all you want, you obviously bolded everyone but the guys you like including Mallet and Stanzi, who haven't played a down yet.

Thigpen had a noodle too.

As far as the bolded choices, I like JJ, Skelton, and Yates, but don't think they'd be better in our offense than Cassel.
KillaCityChief

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever it's worth, I'd rather have, among others obviously, Vince Young, Chad Henne, Blain Gabbert and Ryan Mallet, Jason Campbell, and Josh Johnson than Matt Cassel. I don't know if they would actually be better, but they probably wouldn't be worse, and they would all be infinitely more fun to watch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: