Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Josh Freeman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoeKG

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5nick5 wrote:
RoeKG wrote:
^ Win the division?

This is the type of hype people build that makes them rage when we lose a game or when something bad happens. This team has potential and there is reason to be excited, but let's not set this standard given where we were a year ago.

We have no idea what we have with most of our team given their youth, no idea what will happen with how the coaches turn out, Freeman is unfortunately still a question mark, the schedule could be very tough, and no idea if the free agents will work out for us.

The Saints are still the Saints, and taking a step back for them still leaves them being a great team, although I'm not very impressed with the Panthers or Falcons.

Well take my prediction with a grain of salt. I'm not a fortune teller, I'm just saying now is the time to take the division with the Saints in disarray. And I'd much rather be wrong about winning than right about losing.

In hindsight I think that post came off harsher than I intended it to. I'm crazy excited for this season, to the point that I'm getting a part time job just to pay for NFL Sunday Ticket without screwing up my budget.

HOWEVER, we shouldn't be readying ourselves for a playoff run. Last year we were bad. Very bad. Getting to 8-8 would be an accomplishment. Not losing in a blowout would be an improvement.

I hope we get to the playoffs, I think it's a possibility, but I'm not going to expect it.
5nick5

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoeKG wrote:
5nick5 wrote:
RoeKG wrote:
^ Win the division?

This is the type of hype people build that makes them rage when we lose a game or when something bad happens. This team has potential and there is reason to be excited, but let's not set this standard given where we were a year ago.

We have no idea what we have with most of our team given their youth, no idea what will happen with how the coaches turn out, Freeman is unfortunately still a question mark, the schedule could be very tough, and no idea if the free agents will work out for us.

The Saints are still the Saints, and taking a step back for them still leaves them being a great team, although I'm not very impressed with the Panthers or Falcons.

Well take my prediction with a grain of salt. I'm not a fortune teller, I'm just saying now is the time to take the division with the Saints in disarray. And I'd much rather be wrong about winning than right about losing.

In hindsight I think that post came off harsher than I intended it to. I'm crazy excited for this season, to the point that I'm getting a part time job just to pay for NFL Sunday Ticket without screwing up my budget.

HOWEVER, we shouldn't be readying ourselves for a playoff run. Last year we were bad. Very bad. Getting to 8-8 would be an accomplishment. Not losing in a blowout would be an improvement.

I hope we get to the playoffs, I think it's a possibility, but I'm not going to expect it.

What I think we all learned last year is that nothing is given to you. I agree with you that we certainly aren't a surefire playoff team. But with the steps we made, it's not too far out of the realm of possibility. I believe all of us here are on the same page where we are optimistic and think our team has a shot at the playoffs, but are perfectly content with making baby steps and getting to around a .500 record. Either way, this will be a much funner team to watch than in years past and I doubt we will be watching a blowout loss every week, which would be nice.

Thanks to BGG on the sig.

Adopt a Buc: Alterraun Verner
mzerv00

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828f9e78/article/josh-freeman-slimmed-down-to-get-better-bucs-dominik-says?module=HP11_headline_stack

Excited to see the difference.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzerv00 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828f9e78/article/josh-freeman-slimmed-down-to-get-better-bucs-dominik-says?module=HP11_headline_stack

Freeman cut down on the taco bell diet? Bucs are destined for success in 2012! Smile
Lil' Shorty

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indifference wrote:
mzerv00 wrote:

Freeman cut down on the taco bell diet? Bucs are destined for success in 2012! Smile

Definitely. When Dominik said it was mostly diet then you knew he was eating pretty bad if he shed 20 lbs with just changing diet. Like I said before. He shed fat, not muscle. He should be just as strong if not stronger as well as more mobile at this lighter weight. I dont expect him to have any more trouble shedding DL than he did at 255. Excited to see Freeman in action this year. I truly believe that he will put some critics to bed. He is doing everything possible to succeed and lets not forget he has some pretty good coaches this year too.

Smack ^
#FireLovie
RoeKG

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm most excited to see what Sullivan does with Freeman. Does anyone remember from 2010 how good Freeman can be when he runs bootlegs and actually leaves the pocket? I think Sullivan will take advantage of that. I'm excited to see what Freeman can do with support from a running game, an OL, and a #1 WR.

This offense should be awesome.
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a team that rarely gets publicity we have been in the news quite a bit this offseason. I kind of like it Laughing

Jeff Darlington wrote a lengthy article about Josh Freeman and the expectations being placed on him. It's worth the read for sure.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8292270f/article/with-weight-off-josh-freeman-still-carries-heavy-expectations?module=HP11_cp

Quote:
Freeman knows he needs to convince the NFL world that his future will be filled with more of the highlights of 2010 than the lowlights of 2011, and he easily could use his sleeker shape as the perfect sales pitch. But he instead avoided spinning this as such, even if 20 less pounds will still certainly give him more energy (he's eating healthier), more "torque" (he's throwing with more ease, he says) and more internal confidence (he doesn't need it).

I'm glad Freeman didn't lower himself to such desperation, particularly when there are two more appropriate testimonials to support my belief he will be the Bucs' answer at quarterback for years to come. One of those testimonials is linked to his second NFL start in 2009. The other is from the current year.

The first: On Nov. 15, 2009, moments after the Miami Dolphins escaped with a 25-23 win against the Bucs by countering Freeman's fantastic late touchdown drive with a last-second field goal, former Dolphins linebacker Jason Taylor offered his unsolicited opinion of the quarterback.

"I tell you what, the kid is going to be good," Taylor said. "I could be wrong, but in my opinion, he's going to be a really, really good quarterback. He's got tremendous poise for a young guy, he has tremendous size, and he moves around looking to throw the ball downfield, and still checking down, and running for the first down.

"I've got respect for the young kid."

Taylor, during his career, was always the last to praise a rookie, let alone a rookie quarterback. He wanted young guys to earn respect, which left the few who heard him to take notice. After all, Taylor is better suited to evaluate a quarterback than any analyst or reporter I've ever met.

Now fast-forward three years, skipping past Freeman's sophomore season, which included 25 touchdowns and just six interceptions, skipping past a third year that went the other way, with 16 touchdowns and 22 interceptions, toward my phone conversation Tuesday with wide receiver Vincent Jackson.

Jackson, who recently signed a five-year, $55 million contract with the Bucs, said he was swayed to join the team more by Freeman's potential than by the paycheck.

"One of the biggest things for a wide receiver to consider is the quarterback situation," Jackson said Tuesday. "You want to go where there's a guy who can make plays. When I met Josh, I knew right away he was special. I'm a football guy. I study film. I've seen some of Josh's games. I know he's special."

Adopt-A-Buc Adrian Clayborn
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Based on 2010-2011 tape study, NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Josh Freeman's slump as a second-year starter was due largely to a failure to make improvements from his first season.

Cosell believes Freeman's 2010 campaign was "not quite as strong as the perception," despite a 25:6 TD-to-INT ratio and 10 wins. Cosell saw major technique flaws, erratic accuracy, and an inability to consistently read defenses in both seasons. "Make no mistake, the erratic accuracy is a serious matter," Cosell wrote. "... Hes more sporadic playmaker than precise passer." Cosell does allow for major strides from Freeman if he polishes his game. "There's no question he has the tools to take that next step.

Also, Cossell wrote an article with him and Bradford.

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/05/22/cosell-talks-sam-bradford-josh-freeman/

I'm not taking much of his evaluation seriously. I've seen enough of Cossell's articles and evaluations to the point I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about.

Sure Freeman struggled, but he failed to point out the Bucs were too predictable on offense and the surrounding talent around Freeman could get open for crap.
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cossell is dead on. Freeman had a ton of tunnel vision last year. He had the same issue in 2010, but because he was more willing to scramble in 2010 he forced the defense to react to him...and that opened things up for his WRs down the field.

His sloppy footwork is definitely an issue, especially when he's dropping back from under center. When he plays out of the shotgun he is much more accurate.

I hope that Sullivan, Turner and McDaniels can work with him to force him out of his bad habits. He is an awesome talent that can take this team a long way.

Adopt-A-Buc Adrian Clayborn
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
mzerv00

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read... It's also posted in the Winslow thread.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/22/goal-of-winslow-trade-may-have-been-helping-freeman/

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzerv00 wrote:
Interesting read... It's also posted in the Winslow thread.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/22/goal-of-winslow-trade-may-have-been-helping-freeman/

Very good article. Yeah, you cannot go through another season with Winslow constantly complaining to Freeman for the ball over and over again. You've seen it last year with them getting into it. Not good chemistry for the locker room and in the huddle either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: