Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ponder 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milanb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:

I understand that better than most, seeing as I've caught a lot of heat in the past for having a negative opinion of Ponder (though his play is coinciding with what I have been saying).

That said, he was trying to make it look like others "project" those QBs to be as bad as Ponder. "None of them project to be any better than Ponder." An odd way to phrase a statement when it is only your opinion.

The only way the Vikings draft a QB in the first round is if there is a complete regime change. There is no way that Rick Spielman can go to Zygi and tell him that the organization needs to spend another premium draft choice, and the $15 million or so in guaranteed money that goes with it, on another QB so soon after using the 12th overall pick on Ponder. And as others have indicated, there's no QB in the 2013 class whose talent demands that you take him, as was the case with Luck and RGIII this year.

Spielman getting fired is not likely at this point because if the Vikings go 2-5 the rest of the way they will finish at 7-9, which would be way beyond any realistic expectations at the start of the season. Plus he seems to have had a pretty good draft this year.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would probably be more fitting after a loss, but it made me chuckle

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with getting more yards to shorten the FG on 3rd and 20. Your odds of getting 20+ yards on 3rd and 20 is probably slim.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Nothing wrong with getting more yards to shorten the FG on 3rd and 20. Your odds of getting 20+ yards on 3rd and 20 is probably slim.

While I would agree that the odds are slim, I'd like to see the coaches at least run a play where converting was a possibility. The one play that bugged me the most against the lions was in the first half, it was 3rd and 23, Ponder was in the shotgun with Peterson and Rudolph, Aromashodu, Simpson, and Wright were split out wide. All four receivers broke on their routes at the 4-5 yard mark. Not one receiver even attempted to draw coverage down field. They didn't even try for a 10-15 yard gain. I've seen far too many plays designed that way, and those plays are what give me no faith in Musgrave.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
VikeSince70

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

While I would agree that the odds are slim, I'd like to see the coaches at least run a play where converting was a possibility. The one play that bugged me the most against the lions was in the first half, it was 3rd and 23, Ponder was in the shotgun with Peterson and Rudolph, Aromashodu, Simpson, and Wright were split out wide. All four receivers broke on their routes at the 4-5 yard mark. Not one receiver even attempted to draw coverage down field. They didn't even try for a 10-15 yard gain. I've seen far too many plays designed that way, and those plays are what give me no faith in Musgrave.

The best quote I have heard in a long while goes something like this, "this is the NFL not Arena football, it is ok to punt." I beleive Mayock said this on a Thursday night game this year. So I agree that it is ok to make a few yards to get closer to a makable field goal instaed of trying a 20 yard pass. If that is indeed the situation Smile
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully they keep Craig Johnson on the field from now on. It obviously could have been coincidence that Ponder performed better with his QB coach on the sideline, but why tweak something if it appeared to work?
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

That's true, but I still think we check down too much on 3rd and long. We throw too many 5 yard passes on 3rd and 10. The majority of the time we should going be going for the first down.
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

That's true, but I still think we check down too much on 3rd and long. We throw too many 5 yard passes on 3rd and 10. The majority of the time we should going be going for the first down.

It's better they do that than pull a Phillip Rivers.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

It's better they do that than pull a Phillip Rivers.

Well, I suppose if we don't take any risks we won't make any mistakes. We also won't win very many games. We either need to have more success throwing down field or improve our defense to elite levels.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“@APkrawczynski: #Vikings GM Rick Spielman says he has "100% belief Ponder's going to be our QB heading into the future"”
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can't say anything else nor should he. Despite his recent play I do believe we've seen a solid improvement from Ponder he's not elite or even close but a noticeable upgrade from year 1 to 2 is a start. Ride Ponder let's find out what we have.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

"Welcome to the end of your life and I promise it's gonna hurt"

"Fresh out of the Factory with no warrenty and already broken what a pity"
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoneWithTheWind wrote:
He can't say anything else nor should he.

exactly. might be very genuine on Spielman's part, might be PR-speak.

nor does it define what the "future" is.

no story here.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and thats how I see it too. Stick with one guy, see what he can do.

Ponder has shown promise, and progression from last year. For a whole month he seemed like he was in a real funk, but after last week, Ponder did excellent. He did exactly what he was supposed to do.

Remember, a lot of QBs don't hit their prime until they are 27. Ponder is 24, so to expect an elite QB so early is unreasonable. Guys like Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and perhaps Phillip Rivers weren't considered Franchise QBs until after a few years.

I really feel Ponder can be our guy. Even if he doesn't have the strongest arm, the best accuracy or whatever, I think he'll be good enough to become that Franchise QB for us.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Quote:
“@APkrawczynski: #Vikings GM Rick Spielman says he has "100% belief Ponder's going to be our QB heading into the future"”

Spielman: “I always have followed the three-year rule. The quarterback position — you’ve got to remember, our guy’s only in his second year. You look at the history of development of quarterbacks and I’ve talked to you guys a lot about that and where they come. I know they’re getting measured regardless if they’re a rookie or second-year player. They’re going to get evaluated from the outside and from the media on their performance that week. But you have to be, from an internal standpoint, looking at the whole picture and looking at a length of time.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/14/vikings-gm-spielman-ponder-is-our-guy/

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason to believe that Ponder wont be the QB in 2013, this team has 6 wins and likely out of position to draft a potentially better one. By default, Ponder will keep his job. Hopefully they can build around him some more.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 45 of 100

Jump to: