Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ponder 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:

Can't say this is the analysis I was expecting. Laughing

It's almost 2am. It's as good as I'm going to get right now. Laughing
ktarinze

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

Can't say this is the analysis I was expecting. Laughing

It's almost 2am. It's as good as I'm going to get right now. Laughing

Yeah I'm about ready to pack it in to Laughing. Even though it's not even 2 am here.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

I'm in agreement. I would take Tebow over Ponder for sure, if I had to make that choice, though I'm not all that fond of Tim as a franchise QB.

As bad as Ponder is he IS light years ahead of Tebow as a passer.

Agreed. Tim Tebow isnt a quarterback...he's an athlete. Ponder is easily light years ahead of Tebow as a passer. As Vikefan said, he had some very nice deep throws. Off the top of my head, Jenkins vs GB (rolling to his weak side off balance), Percy vs. Atl, Wright vs. Det, Burton vs. SF (preseason), Aromashadu vs. Chi (if he could have caught it). Tebow's nice deep pass was a 15 yards slant vs man coverage. Sorry but thats not a deep ball. I dont know how anyone could sit there and actually think that Tim Tebow would have more success throwing to these receivers than Christian Ponder. You're dreamin buddy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get rid of Craig Johnson? I know he developed Vince Young into a pro bowler as well as Steve McNair and Kerry Collins but he has done nothing for Christian Ponder.
ktarinze

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

I'm in agreement. I would take Tebow over Ponder for sure, if I had to make that choice, though I'm not all that fond of Tim as a franchise QB.

As bad as Ponder is he IS light years ahead of Tebow as a passer.

Agreed. Tim Tebow isnt a quarterback...he's an athlete. Ponder is easily light years ahead of Tebow as a passer. As Vikefan said, he had some very nice deep throws. Off the top of my head, Jenkins vs GB (rolling to his weak side off balance), Percy vs. Atl, Wright vs. Det, Burton vs. SF (preseason), Aromashadu vs. Chi (if he could have caught it). Tebow's nice deep pass was a 15 yards slant vs man coverage. Sorry but thats not a deep ball. I dont know how anyone could sit there and actually think that Tim Tebow would have more success throwing to these receivers than Christian Ponder. You're dreamin buddy!

I don't know how people can say Ponder is light years ahead of Tebow. That is a dream it doesn't say that in stats or on the field. Ponder has a couple of deep passes but he can't throw it consistently. There were other passes besides that game winner in the steelers game were he threw the ball deep. I wasn't really talking about that one play but anyways......... Tebow arm strength isn't even a question Ponders is. They are really not light years away and I would take tebow without second thought over Ponder.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys - I was being humorous Wink

On a serious note of the comparison, Ponder is better at QB than Tebow, in my opinion.

Now, on a more light-hearted note -- this thread is nearly at 100 pages . . . way to go VD -- how many other mod's can boast that kind of thread impact on their resume'? Laughing

Finally, go back to page 1 and read UMN's post. His analysis of expectations for Ponder this year were statistics based and he really isn't that far off from what's actually occurring.

One other note -- if you look at the stat lines, Ponder's playing about like Jay Cutler, Sam Bradford and Philip Rivers. No, he doesn't have the total yardage some of them and his yds/attempt is 6.0 vs 6.8/6.7 for Rivers and Bradford, so I'm curious, are their fans ripping their QBs as volitily as Ponder's being ripped?
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ultimately, Tebow's ceiling is miles higher than that of Ponder. With the right offense installed, I could see Tebow leading our team to multiple Super Bowl wins.

Whoa....whoa....whoa whoa whoa....Lets settle down now.

EFF YOUR FANTASY TEAM, I HOPE YOU LOSE

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
Quote:
Ultimately, Tebow's ceiling is miles higher than that of Ponder. With the right offense installed, I could see Tebow leading our team to multiple Super Bowl wins.

Whoa....whoa....whoa whoa whoa....Lets settle down now.

Someone call the common man, we have the next PST Champion.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
Finally, go back to page 1 and read UMN's post. His analysis of expectations for Ponder this year were statistics based and he really isn't that far off from what's actually occurring.

Based on the historical data Ponder is doing very poorly. You expect to see a step up in year 2 and general progress being made. He has done nothing but regress. If he doesn't take a massive step forward next year he is done.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
ArcticNorseman wrote:

Based on the historical data Ponder is doing very poorly. You expect to see a step up in year 2 and general progress being made. He has done nothing but regress. If he doesn't take a massive step forward next year he is done.

+1.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree the first quarter of the season, Ponder was on fire and we were all amazed and signing his praises.

2nd quarter got a little worse, and then Percy went down.

3rd quarter of the season was truly abysmal, and the 4th quarter has not started the way one would hope to see him climbing out of this funk. So, yes Ponder is in complete regression at this point in the season.

However, the team has changed its focus dramatically. Opponents found out the Vikes can't pass block up the middle, and the shortest distance to the QB is via the guards and center == that takes less time to kill the QB.

In the meantime, the Vikes decided they could run the ball and that effort in Seattle sealed the complete change in offensive philosophy. See when defenses stack 9 in the box, 4 or 5 of those guys will be on the side of the field Adrian's running to & one (1) will normally have a chance to get a hold of him and start a tackle. Adrian's winning that point of attack 30 or 40% of the time right now. The offense is no longer balanced, and it would appear the Vikes have lost confidence in Ponder.

I don't think that's the case. To minimize big play opportunities by opposing defenses, Musgrave is trying to find ways to move the ball while protecting Ponder when he is called upon to throw it. The team is moving the ball via Peterson's legs, not through the air.

That mode of transportation will not change until someone proves they can block DTs one-on-one and still pick up a middle blitz.

For good measure . . . I chuckled as I read the Moss vs Peterson thread . . . Moss . . . "making Bouman or Frerotte look like ProBowlers" was one comment for the ages. Now add in a Randall McDaniel and David Dixon at guards ---- hmmmmmmmmm, Ponder does really suck. Laughing
wcblack34

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
With the right offense installed, I could see Tebow leading our team to multiple Super Bowl wins.

Laughing

Only if that Offense includes Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, Joe Thomas, Matt Kalil, Nick Mangold, Carl Nicks, and Jahri Evans.
ktarinze

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
Uncle Buck wrote:
With the right offense installed, I could see Tebow leading our team to multiple Super Bowl wins.

Laughing

Only if that Offense includes Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, Joe Thomas, Matt Kalil, Nick Mangold, Carl Nicks, and Jahri Evans.

both of those statements are a little out there Laughing
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analysis from one of the best writers at The Daily Norseman:
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2012/12/11/3751912/the-ponder-problem-should-the-Minnesota-Vikings-dump-Christian-Ponder

(Disclaimer: It's a long, but worthwhile, read).

Peppers90 on the sig.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice read, thanks for that.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 99 of 100

Jump to: