Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking Ahead.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Looking Ahead..... Reply with quote

Of course it is too early to know how well our defense is going to handle the transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4. But as dedicated football fans it isn't too outrageous to start discussing the teams needs for the next offseason based on the roster as is it. I started writing one up for the Team Needs thread in the NFL Mock Draft forum but decided against posting it.

I would appreciate input on how you would change this list.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colts needs. Everything but.... QB and TE

1. CB - I have my doubts about Kevin Thomas and Chris Rucker battling for the starting job opposite Powers unless the new 3-4 defense with the additions of Redding and McKinney can contain the run and our pass defense can continually pressure opposing QBs.
We didn't address this position in the draft, we added 4 UDFAs
2. OLB - Freeney is a free agent and we will get a good idea whether Jerry Hughes will be better rushing the QB from a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3.
We drafted Tim Flugger in the 7th but no guarantees that he makes a necessary impact.
3. LG - We are still uncertain as to whether Ben Ijalana is going to be healthy to compete for a starting job on the right side of the offense be it RG or RT. If he isn't then it is possible that our free agent signing Mike McGlynn slides to RG and Joe Reitz remains our starter at LG. Either way we still need a G.
We didn't address this position in the draft but added a UFA, and 1 UDFA
4. ILB - I am almost certain that our 2 projected starting ILBs (Pat Angerer and Kavell Connor) play the same position. We need a TED LB on the inside to take up blocks to free the other defenders to the ball/QB.
We didn't address this position in the draft but added 1 UDFA
5. S - I don't see Tom Zbikowski as a long term answer at S, I feel he is a valuable member to a transitioning defense but we need to start looking at depth because we have no one behind Bethea and Zibby.
We didn't address this position in the draft but did sign 1 UFA and 1 UDFA
6. WR - Reggie Wayne is getting older, Austin Collie might not be as good with Manning gone, the jury is out on Donnie Avery and the rookies Hilton and Brazill will likely have more of an impact on special teams then in games.
We drafted 2 players and added 2 more UDFAs
7. DE - Plenty of people believe that Drake Nevis is not a good fit for a 3-4. If he isn't we still have Fili Moala who played a 3-4 in college so he can step in.
We didn't address this position in the draft but added 1 UFA and 2 UDFAs
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised to see us go with S first depending on where we pick in the draft considering the caliber that will be available like Rambo and McDonald who I've liked for a while. I think OLB definitely is 2 with CB being by far #1. I feel like OL isn't too big of a priority for now until after we finish our transition to the 3-4 unless we get great value or somehow the OL just crumbles like 2010.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you that CB is our greatest need. After that I would say LB. I think we need a starter at both ILB and OLB. I would love for us to bring in Manti Teo in the first round next year. He is an outstanding leader and is very good at shedding blocks. As for OLB Im pretty certain Freeney will not be back, so we will need a pass rusher on the outside. I really wouldn't be shocked if next years draft is mostly defensive players

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it through the grapevine that we will be bringing in a vet.cb, with pagano ties by the end of the week..

C williams or foxworth would be my guess!

reckless123 wrote:
I would love to see this go back and forth but its unlike Harden to get defensive.
ColtsFan40

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayne87reggie wrote:
I heard it through the grapevine that we will be bringing in a vet.cb, with pagano ties by the end of the week..

C williams or foxworth would be my guess!

Didnt Foxworth take a job with the Players Association

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had hoped we would have addressed our defensive needs in the draft. I was actually hoping we should have drafted Courtney Upshaw ahead of Cody Feener.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: