Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Joe Webb - QB only in 2012
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Joe Webb - QB only in 2012 Reply with quote

Minnesota Vikings quarterback Joe Webb is embracing his role as a full-time quarterback after serving as a hybrid quarterback/receiver/wildcat option for two seasons.

Coach Leslie Frazier said in February he wanted Webb to concentrate on one position. The team wants to maximize his value at quarterback and lessen his responsibilities. He'll enter camp as Christian Ponder's backup.

Webb: "It's a great role to have. Any time you can concentrate on one position, that's always a positive."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_20530939/minnesota-vikings-joe-webb-is-solely-qb-and

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news. MN has done a good job adding more talent at WR, where they no longer need to experiment with him out there.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Webb starting at QB next year at some point given how frail Ponder has been the past few years.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That whole Wildcat thing was a joke last year. I'm pretty sure every team just put 11 in the box when they say that coming.

That, and we used it in the worst times possible. Why not just have Webb start/finish a whole drive? He looked really good when he came in for Ponder's injuries a few times last year. He needs a whole drive, a whole playbook to himself to be successful.

Smart move, finally we can dump all that garbage out of the playbook.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that needs to be noted about Webb...he was a great 6th Round pick. Even if all he ever is is a backup QB, a lot of teams have spent higher picks and gotten less.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute! Weren't many posters here saying the Vikings needed to find ways to get him on the field to use his athleticism?

What's changed? More unproven WRs? Rolling Eyes

IMO, he should he dangled as trade bait after 2012 to make use of his talent as an athletic player who has no value on the bench.

Sure, the Vikings could wait to see how Ponder develops before trading Webb, like the entire 2012 season. But I'm not even sure the Vikings would ride with Webb in 2013 and going forward if Ponder flounders in 2012.

Ideally, if Ponder pans out in 2012, Webb can be traded to move up for a top WR or DT in round 1, or to do the same in round 2, to add either a WR or DT, depending on which of the two is taken in round 1.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again with the eye rolling emoticon. so rude.

Webmaster wrote:
Purplexing

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
again with the eye rolling emoticon. so rude.

Notice the two separate paragraphs, meaning two separate thoughts being expressed.

Re-read.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
Tman24

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart move. I think Joe Webb still has a chance at fixing most of his flaws and being a quality starting NFL QB. I see no concern with letting him develop behind ponder for 2 or 3 years. Its always nice to have 2 Qbs that have a chance at becoming a NFL starter instead of only 1. I personally wouldnt trade him for less than a early second rounder at his point.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
Wait a minute! Weren't many posters here saying the Vikings needed to find ways to get him on the field to use his athleticism?

What's changed? More unproven WRs? Rolling Eyes

IMO, he should he dangled as trade bait after 2012 to make use of his talent as an athletic player who has no value on the bench.

Sure, the Vikings could wait to see how Ponder develops before trading Webb, like the entire 2012 season. But I'm not even sure the Vikings would ride with Webb in 2013 and going forward if Ponder flounders in 2012.

Ideally, if Ponder pans out in 2012, Webb can be traded to move up for a top WR or DT in round 1, or to do the same in round 2, to add either a WR or DT, depending on which of the two is taken in round 1.

I was never a fan of Webb playing WR, and certainly not a fan of him playing WR and QB at the same time. He brings rare athleticism to the QB position. I'm glad he'll get to concentrate on learning how to use it to better himself as a QB.
shah8

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it's right to read the article and sentiment straight up...This is a recycle from a Feb comment from the coach. There is no news here, so assuming this is more than somebody giving a cub reporter some space...

I think there is a good chance that this is a ground prep for Webb taking the starting job fairly quickly into the season. Ponder will only have limited time to improve on his deficiencies.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shah8 wrote:
I'm not sure it's right to read the article and sentiment straight up...This is a recycle from a Feb comment from the coach. There is no news here,

i assumed it was a current quote from Webb, which at least shows his satisfaction with the emphasis on QB-only status, but maybe the quote is dated too.

Webmaster wrote:
DJC71

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing for Webb. Hope he's ready when/if he gets his shot. Look out #7! Very Happy
Eastern Walrus

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he will be our starting QB before the end of the season, and i'm fine with that
2013 Adopt a Minnesota Viking - Xavier Rhodes - CB - #29

XBL - Eastern Walrus
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:

Well, I think if we even consider trading him, it should be mid season, around week 7-8 (the trade deadline has been moved back to week 8 now-new rules)

I'm not totally up for the idea, but lets say we are sitting at week 8 with a 4-4 and 5-3 record, and Christian Ponder is playing some good football, without being injured? By then a team is in desperate need for a QB and is willing to overtrade for one (See: Oakland Raiders, 2011). If a team offered a 3rd round pick in this scenario, I'd be all over it.

We would then have 10 picks in the draft, and that extra 3rd and 4th could be all it takes to move up in the draft if we find a guy we like.

Like I said, I'm not totally for the idea because I do like Joe Webb, but if he's expandable at a nice price, I'd make the move. I'd do it for the better of this football team.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
lets say we are sitting at week 8 with a 4-4 and 5-3 record, and Christian Ponder is playing some good football, without being injured? By then a team is in desperate need for a QB and is willing to overtrade for one (See: Oakland Raiders, 2011). If a team offered a 3rd round pick in this scenario, I'd be all over it.

We would then have 10 picks in the draft, and that extra 3rd and 4th could be all it takes to move up in the draft if we find a guy we like.

sigh... the Madden generation. Laughing

so in this scenario, except if Ponder breaks a leg, we'd have Sage Rosenfels as our starting QB, who hasn't played in a NFL game in what, 3-4 years?

but hey we could use that 3rd round pick to draft a backup QB. where's the gain?

SteelKing728 wrote:
if he's expandable at a nice price, I'd make the move.

is Joe gaining weight? Laughing

Webmaster wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: