Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos sign former Bills CB Drayton Florence to 2-year deal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Broncos sign former Bills CB Drayton Florence to 2-year deal Reply with quote

Quote:
DB Drayton Florence agreed to terms w Broncos, expected to finalize it today

http://twitter.com/JayGlazer/statuses/200685089313652737

It's a 2-year deal.

Florence was recently released from the Bills because he was due to make $4 million in base salary and the Bills were getting younger at the position after adding CB Aaron Williams in the 2nd round last season and Stephon Gilmore in the first round this season.

Florence recorded 108 tackles, 27 passes defended and 6 INTs the past two seasons.

Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Thu May 10, 2012 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Not awful, not great. But at least it's depth fodder.

Thanks, Tzimisce
dbronx42

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post what i said in the news thread.

Very, very solid secondary with Champ Bailey, Tracy Porter, Chris Harris, Mike Adams, and now Drayton Florence... Still a HUGE question mark at the FS position though. Rahim Moore and Quinton Carter will battle it out.

Solid signing. Hopefully we get the Drayton Florence we saw in Buffalo, and not the guy we saw in Jacksonville.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbronx42 wrote:

Very, very solid secondary with Champ Bailey, Tracy Porter, Chris Harris, Mike Adams, and now Drayton Florence... Still a HUGE question mark at the FS position though. Rahim Moore and Quinton Carter will battle it out.

Solid signing. Hopefully we get the Drayton Florence we saw in Buffalo, and not the guy we saw in Jacksonville.

Don't forget about Syd'Quan, I hope he makes the team.
elliot878

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbronx42 wrote:

Mike Adams is a free safety and was brought in to play the position. Quinton Carter should have the starting strong safety job, Rahim Moore will have to show a ton of improvement to have a chance at playing time.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope that Flourence doesn't hinder the development of Harris. I really like Harris, think he has potential. I kind af look at it like 4 solid corners for 3 spots.

Jamison. mad props on this amazing Sig!!!
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In times of the spread, the more CBs the merrier. If we are now able to generate even more pass rush than last year (Wolfe, Ty, are you reading this?), we won't even need that special of a secondary...

Porter-Adams-Carter-Bailey, with Harris/Florence in the slot and Bolden being brought along slowly.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
dbronx42

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
dbronx42 wrote:

Mike Adams is a free safety and was brought in to play the position. Quinton Carter should have the starting strong safety job, Rahim Moore will have to show a ton of improvement to have a chance at playing time.

My bad your right about Adams... And considering Adams is in fact a FS the starting SS should indeed be Quinton Carter's to lose. Rahim Moore at that position makes me want to throw up. A cardboard cutout would be a better tackler than Rahim.

We have a lot of really solid CB's, but the safety position is still a question mark as of now.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody remember playing BUF and NWE? And how they pretty much spread us out at will?

This signing shows me that John Fox was not happy with the way those spread offenses just abused our team by running 4 and 5 wide. Dont worry guys, Bruton and Bush wont be covering WR's anymore.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Anybody remember playing BUF and NWE? And how they pretty much spread us out at will?

This signing shows me that John Fox was not happy with the way those spread offenses just abused our team by running 4 and 5 wide. Dont worry guys, Bruton and Bush wont be covering WR's anymore.

No offense dude, but you're memory must be a bit fuzzy. The Patriots were not playing with 4 and 5 wide receivers very much. They were playing with two Tight Ends regularly and were attacking Quinton Carter in particular with Aaron Hernandez. They also ran the ball well occasionally against our one-dimensional sub-package players. It wasn't because of Tiquan Underwood or Julian Edelman that the Broncos struggled. Granted, there were occasions when Johnathan Wilhite would see the field and sure upgrading over him is useful, but let's not confuse ourselves into thinking upgrading from Wilhite is necessarily addressing some of the team's bigger concerns on defense.

And as for the Bills, their wide receiving core was decimated by injuries at the time. Derek Hagan and Brad Smith would have been the depth receivers on that team and they aren't a threat to anyone(also Brad Smith went down during that game with an injury, as many Bills players did). The Bills didn't even have their starting Tight End or Running Back. CJ Spiller is the guy who killed us, on a couple of occasions on simple draw plays where the Bills attacked Von Miller(using Mike Caussin, who started the play on the opposite side, as a lead blocker) in the run game with tremendous success. Stevie Johnson had success against us but it wasn't because of trouble against spread sets. It was because of our overuse of sub-package players, our lack of average Safeties, and an ineffective pass rush(and the fact that the Bills gameplan and execution was very good that game, A-level stuff compared to the garbage the Patriots or Bears employed against us).

I also can't resist this completely serious but almost trollish comment: I would rather Bush or Bruton cover Wide Receivers than having Quinton Carter on them.
germ-x

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

No offense dude, but you're memory must be a bit fuzzy. The Patriots were not playing with 4 and 5 wide receivers very much. They were playing with two Tight Ends regularly and were attacking Quinton Carter in particular with Aaron Hernandez. They also ran the ball well occasionally against our one-dimensional sub-package players. It wasn't because of Tiquan Underwood or Julian Edelman that the Broncos struggled. Granted, there were occasions when Johnathan Wilhite would see the field and sure upgrading over him is useful, but let's not confuse ourselves into thinking upgrading from Wilhite is necessarily addressing some of the team's bigger concerns on defense.

And as for the Bills, their wide receiving core was decimated by injuries at the time. Derek Hagan and Brad Smith would have been the depth receivers on that team and they aren't a threat to anyone. The Bills didn't even have their starting Tight End or Running Back. CJ Spiller is the guy who killed us, on a couple of occasions on simple draw plays where the Bills attacked Von Miller(using Mike Caussin, who started the play on the opposite side, as a lead blocker) in the run game with tremendous success. Stevie Johnson had success against us but it wasn't because of trouble against spread sets. It was because of our overuse of sub-package players, our lack of average Safeties, and an ineffective pass rush(and the fact that the Bills gameplan and execution was very good that game, A-level stuff compared to the garbage the Patriots or Bears employed against us).

I also can't resist this completely serious but almost trollish comment: I would rather Bush or Bruton cover Wide Receivers than having Quinton Carter on them.

How do you remember details from so many different games (hell some of them not even the Broncos) at least 4 months after they happened? Laughing

Hell in this past month i have forgotten so much crap that actually matters it isn't even funny.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

And as for the Bills, their wide receiving core was decimated by injuries at the time. Derek Hagan and Brad Smith would have been the depth receivers on that team and they aren't a threat to anyone. The Bills didn't even have their starting Tight End or Running Back. CJ Spiller is the guy who killed us, on a couple of occasions on simple draw plays where the Bills attacked Von Miller(using Mike Caussin, who started the play on the opposite side, as a lead blocker) in the run game with tremendous success. Stevie Johnson had success against us but it wasn't because of trouble against spread sets. It was because of our overuse of sub-package players, our lack of average Safeties, and an ineffective pass rush(and the fact that the Bills gameplan and execution was very good that game, A-level stuff compared to the garbage the Patriots or Bears employed against us).

Not fuzzy, just misunderstood I see.

I never said NWE or BUF spread us out with 4 or 5 WR's? Obviously I know NWE is heavy with their TE's (even though Hernandez is a WR) and BUF only has 1 good WR and 1 good TE.

What I actually said was that they used 4/5-wide. I meant that the spread formations killed us. They opened up our defense, then like you said, they would run the ball up the gut or attack our safeties. The more comfort we have in our nickel and dime packages, meaning our 3 and 4 CB defenses, we can keep the big-boys up the middle in order to solidify the front line.

Florence isnt a bad corner. He got beat deep more than what you want sure. With the type of defense Fox wants to run, he wants to play the deep cover-1. I think Florence's strengths play right into that. Hes strong at playing man-to-man, shown the ability to reroute WR's at the LOS, and is a willing tackler in the run game. If Mike Adams is who everyone says he is (I admit I dont know much just have heard from a Brown-fan hes very underrated), we are building the type of defense to be playmakers in the secondary.

Still, whose going to stop the run?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
How do you remember details from so many different games (hell some of them not even the Broncos) at least 4 months after they happened? Laughing

Hell in this past month i have forgotten so much crap that actually matters it isn't even funny.

My brain is amazing at remembering useless information(especially if its fascinates me) and terrible at remembering things that matter.

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Not fuzzy, just misunderstood I see.

I never said NWE or BUF spread us out with 4 or 5 WR's? Obviously I know NWE is heavy with their TE's (even though Hernandez is a WR) and BUF only has 1 good WR and 1 good TE.

What I actually said was that they used 4/5-wide. I meant that the spread formations killed us. They opened up our defense, then like you said, they would run the ball up the gut or attack our safeties. The more comfort we have in our nickel and dime packages, meaning our 3 and 4 CB defenses, we can keep the big-boys up the middle in order to solidify the front line.

Florence isnt a bad corner. He got beat deep more than what you want sure. With the type of defense Fox wants to run, he wants to play the deep cover-1. I think Florence's strengths play right into that. Hes strong at playing man-to-man, shown the ability to reroute WR's at the LOS, and is a willing tackler in the run game. If Mike Adams is who everyone says he is (I admit I dont know much just have heard from a Brown-fan hes very underrated), we are building the type of defense to be playmakers in the secondary.

But they didn't really. CJ Spiller running a draw play with a lead blocker in front of them, that's not more than three wide receivers.

And as for the Patriots, they use a wide variety of personnel groupings, one of the things they did was have a formation with a back, a tight end(actually a sixth offensive lineman though, which is the key) and 3 wide receivers, all so they could run the ball against our weak sub-package players. Attributing either of those teams success to 4 and 5 receiver formations just isn't the case. As a matter of fact if you want to go into it, the Pats used a large running back rotation that game and I remember criticizing them for not using Stevan Ridley more and instead screwing around with Green-Ellis and the nice players who weren't doing nearly as much against us. It simply isn't true to suggest cornerback play and/or spread formations were primary problems. The Pats can isolate Aaron Hernandez on a Safety as easily from a two receiver double tight end set as they can on a 5 spread set. Easier probably.

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Still, whose going to stop the run?

Sad
PackAtBroncos07

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
germ-x wrote:

My brain is amazing at remembering useless information(especially if its fascinates me) and terrible at remembering things that matter.

Maybe you should only focus on learning information that fascinates you then and forget the things you can't remember anyways.

Back on track:

Idk, I don't really care who plays the nickle as long as all five of our guys are playing to match up that suit them well.

A quintet of Champ Bailey, Tracy Porter, Chris Harris, Drayton Florence, and Syd'Quan Thompson sounds trust worthy enough to handle 5 wide any day.
Reggie Nelson#1

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackAtBroncos07 wrote:
AntiSuperstar wrote:
germ-x wrote:

Maybe you should only focus on learning information that fascinates you then and forget the things you can't remember anyways.

Back on track:

Idk, I don't really care who plays the nickle as long as all five of our guys are playing to match up that suit them well.

A quintet of Champ Bailey, Tracy Porter, Chris Harris, Drayton Florence, and Syd'Quan Thompson sounds trust worthy enough to handle 5 wide any day.

Change Thompson for Omar Bolden.
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 pm, AnAngryAmerican wrote:
This team won't win a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: