Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Since 1983, what Associated Press MVP is least remembered?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
x0x


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 15418
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Since 1983, what Associated Press MVP is least remembered? Reply with quote

I say after 1982 because Mark Moseley is surely the least remembered AP-MVP.

So, this is for most SURPRISING MVPs:

83-Joe Theismann
85-Marcus Allen
86-Lawrence Taylor
87-John Elway
88-Boomer Esiason
91-Thurman Thomas
98-Terrell Davis
02-Rich Gannon
03-Steve McNair
05-Shaun Alexander


I obviously took out the guys I know will not surprise anyone because of their big names.
_________________
Legends Never Die. They Breathe Through The New Generation.
100 Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Willink


Joined: 26 Nov 2007
Posts: 11485
Location: Albany, NY
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elway or Joe Theismann, the former b/c it was a shortened season (and tbh Montana blew Elway away in every category and he or Rice should of won, Rice literally caught more TD passes than Elway threw rofl), and the latter b/c Theismann's recognition has grown so dim that people remember him more as the guy who got his limbs busted by LT that as a talented quarterback.

If we go back a bit further most people don't remember Brian Sipe won an MVP award either.
_________________

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kethnaab


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 9845
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Since 1983, what Associated Press MVP is least remembere Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
I say after 1982 because Mark Moseley is surely the least remembered AP-MVP.

So, this is for most SURPRISING MVPs:

83-Joe Theismann - outstanding season
85-Marcus Allen - 2300+ YFS
86-Lawrence Taylor - 20+ sacks
98-Terrell Davis - uh, 2000+ rushing yards and 20+ rushing TDs?
02-Rich Gannon - Gannon led the NFL in like half a dozen passing stts
05-Shaun Alexander - NFL TD record?



perhaps I misunderstood you, but the majority of the names you listed were absolutely not surprising, at least not to me?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
x0x


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 15418
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willink wrote:
If we go back a bit further most people don't remember Brian Sipe won an MVP award either.


If you want to play a trick on someone, ask them the only Brown to win the MVP in Super Bowl era.



Laughing
_________________
Legends Never Die. They Breathe Through The New Generation.
100 Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
x0x


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 15418
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Since 1983, what Associated Press MVP is least remembere Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
x0x wrote:
I say after 1982 because Mark Moseley is surely the least remembered AP-MVP.

So, this is for most SURPRISING MVPs:

83-Joe Theismann - outstanding season
85-Marcus Allen - 2300+ YFS
86-Lawrence Taylor - 20+ sacks
98-Terrell Davis - uh, 2000+ rushing yards and 20+ rushing TDs?
02-Rich Gannon - Gannon led the NFL in like half a dozen passing stts
05-Shaun Alexander - NFL TD record?



perhaps I misunderstood you, but the majority of the names you listed were absolutely not surprising, at least not to me?


General fans.

I knew Bert Jones won the MVP, but most people don't. Due to age or other factors.

Don't forget the majority of the forum wasn't even alive in the 1980s...
_________________
Legends Never Die. They Breathe Through The New Generation.
100 Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DrawABlank


Joined: 27 Dec 2009
Posts: 3573
Location: London, UK
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Since 1983, what Associated Press MVP is least remembere Reply with quote

If your point is which of them are surprising in that "I forgot that guy was MVP" (rather than the awards themselves being surprising) then I'd say Theismann, Esiason and McNair.

In my befuddled consciousness, Joe T is just the guy whose leg got broken to me, Boomer is the idiot on the CBS show, and Peyton Manning won in 2003. But I'm a much younger fan (25) than most so that affects it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JustisM


Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 16601
Location: Hood River, Oregon
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait wtf a kicker won the MVP? Shocked
_________________
[quote="TytybearsFan21"]Drive off into the sunset, you brilliant bastard.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kethnaab


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 9845
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Since 1983, what Associated Press MVP is least remembere Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
x0x wrote:
I say after 1982 because Mark Moseley is surely the least remembered AP-MVP.

So, this is for most SURPRISING MVPs:

83-Joe Theismann - outstanding season
85-Marcus Allen - 2300+ YFS
86-Lawrence Taylor - 20+ sacks
98-Terrell Davis - uh, 2000+ rushing yards and 20+ rushing TDs?
02-Rich Gannon - Gannon led the NFL in like half a dozen passing stts
05-Shaun Alexander - NFL TD record?



perhaps I misunderstood you, but the majority of the names you listed were absolutely not surprising, at least not to me?


General fans.

I knew Bert Jones won the MVP, but most people don't. Due to age or other factors.

Don't forget the majority of the forum wasn't even alive in the 1980s...


*scratches head*

yeah, but Lawrence Taylor? Marcus Allen? Even very general fans know those names. Heck, my wife knows those names. Granted, she's a lot more of a football fan than most women (i am truly blessed) but I'm still not quite following what you're saying here. Some of those guys, I absolutely agree with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GaTechRavens


Moderator
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 17550
Location: Madison, WI
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustisM wrote:
Wait wtf a kicker won the MVP? Shocked


A kicker who missed 3 extra points.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
x0x


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 15418
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Since 1983, what Associated Press MVP is least remembere Reply with quote

DrawABlank wrote:
If your point is which of them are surprising in that "I forgot that guy was MVP" (rather than the awards themselves being surprising) then I'd say Theismann, Esiason and McNair.

In my befuddled consciousness, Joe T is just the guy whose leg got broken to me, Boomer is the idiot on the CBS show, and Peyton Manning won in 2003. But I'm a much younger fan (25) than most so that affects it.


For the longest time I'd get sidetracked by Thurman Thomas.

I kept thinking Jim Kelly won the MVP in one of the Bills fourpeat years.


After that it's Marcus Allen because I just always assume Walter Payton won a 2nd MVP in the Bears super year.

I think I'll always remember Elway in 87 because it's the biggest robbery in NFL history that Rice didn't win it...
_________________
Legends Never Die. They Breathe Through The New Generation.
100 Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ace5


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 6091
Location: CT
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
JustisM wrote:
Wait wtf a kicker won the MVP? Shocked


A kicker who missed 3 extra points.


Am I being trolled here? This is blowing my mind if it's true.
_________________
iPwn wrote:
Your sig is wherever your car keys are. Sorry you won't ever see it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
JustisM


Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 16601
Location: Hood River, Oregon
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace5 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
JustisM wrote:
Wait wtf a kicker won the MVP? Shocked


A kicker who missed 3 extra points.


Am I being trolled here? This is blowing my mind if it's true.


This is one of the few times in my life that I have been absolutely mind blown. How could we let this happen? Also how could anyone say "kickers aren't real football players" when they handed him the damn MVP??
_________________
[quote="TytybearsFan21"]Drive off into the sunset, you brilliant bastard.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34898
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute, Shaun Alexander is a surprise? How?
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47776
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
Wait a minute, Shaun Alexander is a surprise? How?


He will largely be a forgotten, rather overrated player. I can see it being a surprise in the grand scheme of things. Sure he had a great season, but I think Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson should have won co-MVPs that year. Two potential HOF players playing elite football together made a scrub like Alexander look elite.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cpanthers178990


Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 2902
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustisM wrote:
Ace5 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
JustisM wrote:
Wait wtf a kicker won the MVP? Shocked


A kicker who missed 3 extra points.


Am I being trolled here? This is blowing my mind if it's true.


This is one of the few times in my life that I have been absolutely mind blown. How could we let this happen? Also how could anyone say "kickers aren't real football players" when they handed him the damn MVP??



http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d80743057/Top-Ten-Season-Performance-Mark-Moseley
_________________
SuperCam Career stat track.
48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group