Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will Blaine Gabbert take the next step?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titan52490 wrote:
Frank Costello wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Frank Costello wrote:
I'm not trying to hate on the Jags, but I hated this guy coming out. He could have went to Minnesota and I would have still hated him. He's just bad. He doesn't have that 'it' factor, and too me, he's painfully slow. He looked faster in college.

I don't think he's the answer for the Jags and they will look else where in a year or two tops.

Like, literally?
Because no.

Considering that was one of his good 'traits', I don't see it. He looks too lost in the pocket and unsure of himself, which could be a reason why. But yes, he looks slow to me.

You do he know he ran like a 4.6? ... He's got a real long stride so he never looks like he's moving as fast as he is. His intial quickness, however, is not great.

Man, people really jump on the hate bandwagon fast. Its gonna be hilarous if Blaine comes out and has a bunch of big games early in the season. Then you'll see all these "Blaine Gabbert=John Elway" threads. But hey, people love to tell other people how much the hate people.

If Blaine can stay focused in the pocket, he will throw for a lot of yards.

Just because people arent big on him doesnt mean they are hating on him...especially if they didnt like him coming out.

Ridiculous how you cant make a criticism of anyone on here without someone labeling it as "hating" or "bashing".

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Gabbert isn't "scared"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDqlx5tgT5Q

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
I dont care what weapons they give him...I dont see him ever being a quality starter. Never did, even before he was drafted.

With respect to Jags fans I hope I'm wrong but...I uttered these same words FTM wrote constantly before the draft process last year. I've just never seen that "it" factor from him. He has weapons to succeed next season so I'd expect if he does nothing they'll be looking QB again the following season.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Gabbert isn't "scared"

How does that make him scared? I was Confused when AF said it, but that video is something that EVERY coach would want their QB to do. Go out of bounds, dont take the hit

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly its hard to tell because I never saw anything special about him...even when they started hyping him to be the #1 QB once Luck stated he would return for his senior season...I caught a couple of his games and wasn't impressed in a single one.

He defintely needs to improve his pocket awareness...not sure how he was a 1st round QB outside of the rookie salary cap and how teams are desparate for QBs.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it before he was drafted by the Jags, I said it when he was drafted by the Jags, I said it after the Texans played the Jags, I said it after the season was over...and I'll say it again:

=

(CrackMonster even has me quoted as saying as such...one of the few instances where I was sigged and proven to be right. Thanks, CrackMonster!)

Blaine Gabbert = David Carr. He's reaching the point of no return, that same point where Carr was reduced to rubble after being constantly abused as the Texans starting QB. He needed to slowly progress his internal clock, he needed to learn how to use the pocket to his favor early on, but the continual beatings that he is taking is reverting him to a "survival" mindset, to just save himself from getting killed. Soon, you will see Gabbert running out of bounds, just to avoid the hit. He will start rushing the ball to targets, staring them down to see about throwing it before he takes contact, not trusting his OL to buy him that extra second to let his WRs get open...

Don't fool yourself in believing that Justin Blackmon and Laurent Robinson is going to be the cure all, either. The Texans tried this same route, picking up Andre Johnson and Eric Moulds, and that didn't help in the least. Carr was still just looking to save himself from getting beat, and even the presence of two accomplished WRs wouldn't help.

If Gabbert (and Carr) were allowed time to mature as passers, learn from a safe vantage point where they weren't getting beat up on a weekly basis, there could be hope...but I don't see the Jags having that luxury, much like the Texans didn't. The beatings will continue, and nothing will be able to un-learn the survival instinct Gabbert is leaning on now.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
ajdodge09

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. Honestly I'll be pretty surprised if he starts all 16 games. I just don't think he has what it takes to be a good NFL quarterback.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He just doesnt have any pocket presence. Hes scared to get hit even if he has a decently clean pocket. He doesn't "feel" pressure at all, he just is always scared of getting pressured. That led to him throwing off his back foot a lot, darting around a clean pocket, etc. The Jaguars are going to be picking in the top 5 next season IMO, and will likely be looking at Matt Barkley after Gabbert "shows what he can do."
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, I think Carr had significantly more talent than Gabbert does. Carr is the definition of being put in a terrible situation. I think calling Gabbert = Carr would be a compliment haha

PM sig requests.
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titan52490 wrote:
Frank Costello wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Frank Costello wrote:
I'm not trying to hate on the Jags, but I hated this guy coming out. He could have went to Minnesota and I would have still hated him. He's just bad. He doesn't have that 'it' factor, and too me, he's painfully slow. He looked faster in college.

I don't think he's the answer for the Jags and they will look else where in a year or two tops.

Like, literally?
Because no.

Considering that was one of his good 'traits', I don't see it. He looks too lost in the pocket and unsure of himself, which could be a reason why. But yes, he looks slow to me.

You do he know he ran like a 4.6? ... He's got a real long stride so he never looks like he's moving as fast as he is. His intial quickness, however, is not great.

Man, people really jump on the hate bandwagon fast. Its gonna be hilarous if Blaine comes out and has a bunch of big games early in the season. Then you'll see all these "Blaine Gabbert=John Elway" threads. But hey, people love to tell other people how much the hate people.

If Blaine can stay focused in the pocket, he will throw for a lot of yards.

Well that would explain it. I never said I knew why he was slow in the pocket, but that makes a lot of sense.

He has that deer in head lights look when he plays. You don't get the feeling he is ever really in control. I scratched my head when his name started getting mentioned in the first round last year. A guy who didn't come close to Chase Daniel's stats at Missouri was suddenly a prototype QB due to his size, speed, and arm?

If that isn't a 'work out warrior' I don't know what is. I am not trying to hate on anyone, but I just don't like Blaine Gabbert. He went way too high and IMHO doesn't have what it really takes to be a franchise QB in this league.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He started to get comfortable as time went on and had less happy feet/better awareness. The deer in the headlights look wasn't there the last couple weeks.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Rosstafarian

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can he take the next step: Sure.

Will he: I have no idea. It's haterish to say he has no shot to improve, because everybody can improve. I'm not familiar with his work ethic, but David Carr had an absolutely terrible work ethic (Which I think led to his downfall more than having a crappy O-line). If Blaine is putting in the work in the offseason, then Jaguars fans should be hopeful, but if reports come out that he's concentrating on other things, I'd be really really worried. Of course, the Carr doesn't put in extra time stories didn't come out until after the Texans cut him.
Dawgtx

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a statement in the Jags Forum last year after watching the Texans play him and said that he reminded me of Carr, and kinda got hammered for it. I wasn't trolling.....just made an observation?!

But since someone asked.....He still reminds me of Carr. And I will agree that the Texans Oline wasn't the best, but, we practically halfed our sack totals in one year, and all we did was swap QB's, from Carr to Schaub. I don't think the talent around him will make much difference.

For Jags fans, I hope I'm wrong!
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Gabbert isn't "scared"

How does that make him scared? I was Confused when AF said it, but that video is something that EVERY coach would want their QB to do. Go out of bounds, dont take the hit

Why would you be confused? He isn't scared. People who think that are completely mistaken.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Gabbert isn't "scared"

Why would you be confused? He isn't scared. People who think that are completely mistaken.

I find it how a lot of people think Blaine played scared..... but the people saying he didn't are the Jags fans. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: